Page 871 of 1652 FirstFirst ... 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 ... LastLast
Results 21,751 to 21,775 of 41291
    Really weird low clouds this afternoon. Almost fog like. I couldn't see 10' in front of me... this was the best vis we got all afternoon.

Warm as shit with a solid inversion in Telly

Quote Originally Posted by mdblows View Post
    Warm as shit with a solid inversion in Telly
    wondering what is going on over there. are people skiing big lines in the BC. What about stuff like San Juan couloir? Doesn't look like Telluride gets much snow.
    off your knees Louie

Didn't see any lines in San Juan but hard to tell from Revalation today. Saw a few lines headed into the bowls that drain back into bear creek. In bounds was variable but pretty decent given it was the tail end of a holiday weekend. Still some rocks poking out on the steeper stuff

thank's hard to tell what is going on off the snow reports
    off your knees Louie

A bit off topic, but good news that he'll be OK:
    http://www.steamboattoday.com/news/2...olunteer-duri/

Steamboat ski area also announced they will be charging $500 per person for out of bounds rescues. No shortage of people getting lost over the years in Fish Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    A bit off topic, but good news that he'll be OK:
    http://www.steamboattoday.com/news/2...olunteer-duri/

Steamboat ski area also announced they will be charging $500 per person for out of bounds rescues. No shortage of people getting lost over the years in Fish Creek.
    The injured rescuer is on RCSAR. They DO NOT CHARGE.

Steamboat Resort will charge if their ski patrollers go out. I suppose you could specifically refuse their help and then they can't bill you? I don't know. They can only respond if they are allowed to do so by the Sheriff.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Why don't they just put signs up directing people to not get lost. Sure, might open up liability, maybe the FS could do it. Or just open it up to the ski area, save the people from themselves like ABasin.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    The injured rescuer is on RCSAR. They DO NOT CHARGE.

Steamboat Resort will charge if their ski patrollers go out. I suppose you could specifically refuse their help and then they can't bill you? I don't know. They can only respond if they are allowed to do so by the Sheriff.
    Yes, S&R all volunteer, my bad if you saw this as my misrepresentation.
    Either way, it's an interesting step that ski area is taking, for better or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    wondering what is going on over there. are people skiing big lines in the BC. What about stuff like San Juan couloir? Doesn't look like Telluride gets much snow.
    Is that your minimum requirement, to ski something like the San Joaquin Couloir? There is plenty of steep terrain open at Telluride, except for the main Palmyra runs and most of the Gold Hill chutes. But Gold Hill #1, Dihedral Chute, Mountain Quail, Revelation Bowl, Mt Baldy, all the runs off the Plunge and Apex lifts are open. If you have never been to Telluride, no reason not to go. There is plenty there. On the other hand, if you really are an extreme skier, please disregard this post and carry on.

Edit to add: if you are strictly a BC skier, I guess my comments don't apply either. I know there were people out skiing in the BC when I was there about a week ago, but I have no beta on that.
    Last edited by billyk; 01-17-2017 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    Why don't they just put signs up directing people to not get lost...
    Can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Is that your minimum requirement, to ski something like the San Joaquin Couloir? There is plenty of steep terrain open at Telluride, except for the main Palmyra runs and most of the Gold Hill chutes. But Gold Hill #1, Dihedral Chute, Mountain Quail, Revelation Bowl, Mt Baldy, all the runs off the Plunge and Apex lifts are open. If you have never been to Telluride, no reason not to go. There is plenty there. On the other hand, if you really are an extreme skier, please disregard this post and carry on.

Edit to add: if you are strictly a BC skier, I guess my comments don't apply either. I know there were people out skiing in the BC when I was there about a week ago, but I have no beta on that.
    This is TGR isn't everyone here an extreme skier?

I am new down here. I was basically trying to find out if there is enough snow to ski some bigger lines in the BC.I am only going to be here for another month so I am trying to figure out where the good snowpacks are and plan a little road trip. The snowpack where I am now is excellent so I could just stay here. I am curious about skiing Telluride. However if I am going to spend the money to go over there and buy a lift ticket I would like the option to ski the entire mountain wether I am capable or not. I have no clue what the San Juan couloir looks like or really where it is. I brought a 12 year old laptop down here. When I went to look at Telluride sometime over the last 12 years someone had labeled San Juan couloir with a money sign on my google earth. So I figured I would ask about that.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Can't fix stupid.
    Yeah, I have never been in that area on skis. But it seems like if people keep getting lost and cliffed out, there's gotta be a solution. OR just make it part of the ski area to protect the people from themselves, ya know, just like ABasin would do.

Telluride is worth it, even if not everything is open.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

This is TGR isn't everyone here an extreme skier?

I am new down here. I was basically trying to find out if there is enough snow to ski some bigger lines in the BC.I am only going to be here for another month so I am trying to figure out where the good snowpacks are and plan a little road trip. The snowpack where I am now is excellent so I could just stay here. I am curious about skiing Telluride. However if I am going to spend the money to go over there and buy a lift ticket I would like the option to ski the entire mountain wether I am capable or not. I have no clue what the San Juan couloir looks like or really where it is. I brought a 12 year old laptop down here. When I went to look at Telluride sometime over the last 12 years someone had labeled San Juan couloir with a money sign on my google earth. So I figured I would ask about that.
    In CO we very rarely ski big BC lines in the winter unless you feel comfortable rolling the dice with persistent slab problems or have excellent snowpack analysis and terrain management skills. If you are asking on TGR what is safe then I assume you don't have the latter.

I have no clue what the San Juan couloir looks like or really where it is. .
    Perhaps you mean the San Joaquin couloir? That's a trophy line behind the ski area.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    In CO we very rarely ski big BC lines in the winter unless you feel comfortable rolling the dice with persistent slab problems or have excellent snowpack analysis and terrain management skills. If you are asking on TGR what is safe then I assume you don't have the latter.
    I did not ask what was safe i asked if stuff is filled in and being skied. Where I am skiing now we have an intermountain snowpack. I have confidence in it. I think other places like Crested Butte may have a similar snowpack. We have had some large and continual snowfalls at what I think are probably warmer than usual temperatures. I am concerned about the Telluride area because it does have allot shallower snowpack so was asking some questions. You can assume anything you want about me.
    off your knees Louie

I did not ask what was safe i asked if stuff is filled in and being skied. Where I am skiing now we have an intermountain snowpack. I have confidence in it. I think other places like Crested Butte may have a similar snowpack. We have had some large and continual snowfalls at what I think are probably warmer than usual temperatures. I am concerned about the Telluride area because it does have allot shallower snowpack so was asking some questions. You can assume anything you want about me.
    Stuff is filled in everywhere.

Stuff is being skied everywhere.

That doesn't mean the people skiing it know WTF they are doing. Some do. Some don't.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Perhaps you mean the San Joaquin couloir? That's a trophy line behind the ski area.
    yes you are correct I just went with San Juan because it was in the San Juans here is what I had
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	san something telluride.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	217.0 KB 
ID:	197604
    off your knees Louie

Agree with adrenalated

And I would question anyone telling you that CB is behaving like intermountain. Deep slab releases abound.

Southern Mountains are definitely continental as always.

BFD I know up in AK some zones can really vary in their climactic character much more than here. We have variation here, but it is the rarest of rare years where we get to play on big lines mid winter without the russian roullette deep slab continental snowpack problem adrenalated is talking about.

I know that I sure wouldn't be comfy attacking a line like this tomorrow given what I know about the southern snowpack, reading the northern san juans zone fx, and coming from out of area without an intimate feeling of where the problems are and are not... and even if I did know that... so many shallow triggers in a no-consequences-acceptable zone like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sanjoaquincouloir.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	197605
    This is the kickass line you are talking about

BFD, I don't know where exactly you are, but I think you're in Colorado, so I really question the statement "Where I am skiing now we have an intermountain snowpack". Doesn't mean lots can't be skied and skied safely, but the deep persistent slab problem still exists.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Thanks for the photo that is a great line. Most important thing about skiing a line like that is to know the history.

Southern Mountains are definitely continental as always. glad you think so keeps the crowds down.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    BFD, I don't know where exactly you are, but I think you're in Colorado, so I really question the statement "Where I am skiing now we have an intermountain snowpack". Doesn't mean lots can't be skied and skied safely, but the deep persistent slab problem still exists.
    you could probably get something to run to the ground in a shallow area that repeatedly slides. I have not dug a pit to the ground in awhile 10 feet is along way to go. I did probe to the ground at abound 8 ft and the point came up muddy.
    I guess by definition it could go deep. Maybe tomorrow I will dig to the ground and see what is going on.
    off your knees Louie

Like I mentioned before, if you want to ski inside the resort at Telluride, there are a lot of trails open, including some very kickass terrain. There are a few runs they haven't opened yet, and there are some rocks in spots, but I don't really think you'd be disappointed. The terrain and ski area is a big step up from Wolf Creek, which I believe is closer to you. Yes, Wolf Creek has more snow, but Telluride has plenty. They had 36" a couple weeks ago when I was there, and I didn't have any problems with it except in a few places. They are up to 51" base now. I highly recommend the place.

BFD Where are you located with HS of 10ft? WCP? Outside CO?