17 50.00%
  • 20-30

4 11.76%
  • 30-40

1 2.94%
  • 40+

5 14.71%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How many beers could you drink on a cross country flight?

The Origin of Boggs
    April 25th, 2007 by Hank Yerzimbeck · 35 Comments

We’ve had a few questions come up about Boggs, and why we refer to tasty Miller Lites as Boggs. Well my friends, open your ears and I’ll pour in a tale.

I heard the legendary story over my car radio as I was heading down I-5 to work about a year ago, listening to Mitch in the Morning on 950 KJR, as usual. For some reason or another, Mitch was gone that day so Steve Sandmeyer was hosting the show, and former Mariners and Yankees pitcher Jeff Nelson was sitting in as his sidekick.

Sandmeyer was killing some time by making small talk about baseball and about Nelly’s career and exploits as a major leaguer. boggschicken.jpg The conversation turned to some of the funniest things Nelly had seen in his career when Sandy asked something like “who was the best with the ladies out of everyone you were around in baseball?” Nelson said that it was tough to say for sure, but that he figured it was probably Andre Dawson, the former Expos, Cubs, Red Sox, and Marlins slugger.

The two shared a laugh about the Hawk’s game, and then Sandmeyer stumbled upon the most compelling question ever articulated in an interview: “who would you say drank the most beer out of everyone you ever played with?” The following colloquy sheds some light on one of drinking’s biggest stars and on one of the greatest drinking feats of all time.

Sandy: Who would you say drank the most beer out of everyone you ever played with?

Nelson: Easy, Wade Boggs…..easy

Sandy: (laughing) Really!? Wade Boggs?

Nelson: Oh, yeah, without a doubt. I’ve never seen anyone drink as much beer as he did in my life:

Sandy: (laughing) Get outta here, alright, give me an example, like how much did he drink?

Nelson: Oh, I’d say, on a typical road trip, east coast to west coast [Nelly played with Boggs on the Yankees], say a road game to Seattle……Wade would drink anywhere between 50 and 60 beers.

Sandy: NO WAY!! 50 or 60 beers. That is impossible.

Nelson: No, I know…I know how crazy that sounds, and I wouldn’t believe it myself unless I saw him do it…..numerous times. And he drank nothing but Miller Lite.

Sandy: How in the hell did he have time to drink that many beers. For God’s sake, how many times did he have to go to the bathroom?

Nelson: I’m not kidding you Steve. Seriously. Wade was the kind of guy who was always the first one at the club house. wade_boggs_yankees.jpgSo he’d get to the clubhouse, and he’d bring a six pack with him. He’d be there drinking a beer when someone showed up, and as we were all packing our stuff up out of our lockers and getting our bags ready for the trip, Wade would sit there and drink that whole six pack.

Now, at the time, we were flying out of New Jersey, so it was somewhat of a drive from Yankee stadium to the airport in New Jersey. Wade would drink another couple of beers on the bus to the airport. At the time, we were flying this older airplane, it couldn’t make it across the country without refueling, and it wasn’t the fastest airplane in the sky. So we would stop in North Dakota or something. Wade would drink about a half rack between New Jersey and North Dakota, and it would take about a half-hour to an hour to refuel once we got there, so he’d have a few more beers while we were grounded in North Dakota.

Once we got back up in the air, Wade would drink another 10, 11, 12 beers on the way out to the west coast. The whole flight from coast to coast ususally took us well over 7 hours. We’d touch down at Sea-Tac, hop on the bus headed to the Kingdome, and Wade would have another beer or two on the bus. Then, all of us would get to the Kingdome and unpack our bags and sit around and BS with eachother, and Wade would have a beer in his hand the entire time. He was always one of the last people to leave the club house too. So I’d say that all in all, he drank over 50 beers on the trip, and this wasn’t just an isolated incident, he did that almost every time.

Sandy: Unbelievable. That’s absolutely unbelieveable.

Nelson: Yeah, I know, I’m not kidding though, let’s call up somebody and they’ll tell you man, they’ll tell you I’m not lying.

Sandy: Alright, who should we call up. Let’s take a commercial break, and then we’ll call up somebody and see if we can’t get to the bottom of this….This is absolutely amazing.

[commercial break: When the commercial end, Paul Sorrento, a former Mariner and Devil Ray, and Boggs’s and Nelly’s former teammate, is on the phone]

Nelly: Hey Paul, good to hear from you man, I haven’t talked to you in a while.

Sorrento: Yeah, what’s it been like, two, three years?

Nelly: Yeah. Hey, Paul, just to clarify now, I didn’t speak to you over the commercial break, and I haven’t talked to you about anything since we last talked a few years ago right?

Sorrento: Yeah, right.

Nelly: Alright Paul, we’ve been talking about Wade Boggs up here today in Seattle.

Sorrento: (laughing) Yeah, ole Wade huh.

Nelly: Yeah, alright Paul, I need you to answer one question for me, truthfully now….How many beers would Wade Boggs drink on an east coast to west coast road trip?

Sorrento: Oh, jeez, (exhaling like a flat tire) I don’t know, like 70.

Nelly, Sandberg, Sorrento, Hank: (Rolling on the ground laughing)

So there you have it, that’s the wonderful tale of Wade Boggs’ incredible drinking feats. So one day when a few of us at tasty booze were hanging around crushing some ice cold Miller Lites, and after I told them the story of Wade Boggs, we decided from then on that we would call a Miller Lite a Boggs in honor of the man who drank ‘em the best.
    This begs the question how many could you down of your brew? We'll say the 7 hours mentioned in the story. I'd say around a case of beer would be my max.

A few years ago College Football Gameday was in Pittsburgh for the Pitt Va Tech game, and one of my college roomates friends held up a sign that said "Wade Boggs once drank 64 beers on a cross country flight." The next day it was on PTI and they discussed the accuracy of the sign. I have no idea how these guys heard the story, but it was funny seeing Kornheiser and the other guy arguing about it.
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

Hugh Conway Guest
    Sounds like they were confusing Wade Boggs and David Boon (52 cans SYD-LON)
    http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...7052648AA9spMs

The radio host was fooled by one of the oldest tricks in the books. You say something so incredibly ridiculous that the person listening cannot possibly believe it. Then you verify it by calling somebody "in the know". The only thing is that it's a game that you and your buddies play to gullible morons like the radio host in question. Let’s say he drank 70 beers on a coast to coast flight (6 hours).

6 Hours = 420 minutes

70 beers/420 minutes = 1 beer per 6 minutes. There is no way you could keep that up for 6 hours straight. Think about it.

or

70 beers = 840 oz of beer

if you were playing century club style that would be a shot of beer every 30 seconds for 6 hours straight. No fucking way.

Now if he was drinking straight booze that might be possible but he'd have to have the tolerance of an elephant...which judging by the redness in Boggs face that could be true.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Put another way. Wade Boggs would've dranken a pony keg + 14 beers during his cross country flight. Again, no fucking way.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    6 Hours = 420 minutes
    It was 7 hours, according to the interview. And the first guy said something like 50 to 60 beers, which probably means he meant 40 to 50. I could see that happening. 70, no way.
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

6 Hours = 420 minutes

Just a little algebra problem here

6x6=36
    6hrs=360 min
    6x7=42
    7hrs=420 min

QED bitches

I bet he could have hit .400 if he cut down his beer consumption to, say, 40 beers per cross-country trip.

Quote Originally Posted by couloirman View Post
    Just a little algebra problem here

6x6=36
    6hrs=360 min
    6x7=42
    7hrs=420 min

QED bitches
    Ooops. That's what I meant. Sorry. so it's a little bit faster than a beer every 6 minutes. It's every 5 minutes or so. and Century Club style would be a shot every 25 seconds.

Anyhow, I went with 70 because:

Sorrento: Oh, jeez, (exhaling like a flat tire) I don’t know, like 70.
    Would Boggs fly with a catheter
    Last edited by Adolf Allerbush; 12-07-2007 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaSucks View Post
    A few years ago College Football Gameday was in Pittsburgh for the Pitt Va Tech game, and one of my college roomates friends held up a sign that said "Wade Boggs once drank 64 beers on a cross country flight." The next day it was on PTI and they discussed the accuracy of the sign. I have no idea how these guys heard the story, but it was funny seeing Kornheiser and the other guy arguing about it.
    I remember that sign!
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by ICEHOCEY77 View Post
    How many beers could you drink on a cross country flight?
    Trick question. Everybody knows the airlines cut you off after a couple and if you complain they call security. So I have been told.

Put another way. Wade Boggs would've dranken a pony keg + 14 beers during his cross country flight. Again, no fucking way.
    He's in the Hall of Fame. They don't just put you in there for nothing.

That time frame seems to be more like 12 hours, rather than seven. A current flight by itself is about 6 hours. So if you have stops, travel to and from airports, clubhouse grabass and such, you're looking at a full day.

Impressive no doubt. But Wade was probably averaging 4 beers an hour.
    Last edited by Stu Gotz; 12-07-2007 at 02:57 PM.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

50 beers = 600oz

now

assuming 4&#37; beer (Miller Lite = 4.2% per http://www.realbeer.com/edu/health/calories2.php)
    thats 24oz of pure alcohol
    figure a stand shot of whisky\vodka is about 100proof and 1.5oz

thats nearly 32SHOTS of liqour over that same time period (aka 1.4L nearly a handle)

How did that guy even stand up?
    Last edited by pechelman; 12-07-2007 at 03:04 PM.

Miller Lite is mostly water.

I always liked Wade, but he is now my favorite baseball player of all time. Remember when he jumped on the horse after he won the WS with the yanks, I bet he was smashed.

I always heard Wade was quite the womanizer too.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    That time frame seems to be more like 12 hours, rather than seven. A current flight by itself is about 6 hours. So if you have stops, travel to and from airports, clubhouse grabass and such, you're looking at a full day.

Impressive no doubt. But Wade was probably averaging 4 beers an hour.
    That sounds about right, and I could do that except for the shitty taste part. 4 miller lites an hour over 12 hours, not really all that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    That sounds about right, and I could do that except for the shitty taste part. 4 miller lites an hour over 12 hours, not really all that hard.
    Yeah. Done. A beer should take 10 minutes to drink, tops.

I, personally, don't have the stomach or the liver capacity, with my stomach usually the first to give out. But I know people with the stomach capacity, and almost the liver capacity.

If it takes you 12 hours to travel from NYC to Seattle you're doing something wrong. That doesn't pass the straight face test. they're on private chartered flights. They're don't need to pass through security. At most they have a deal getting from the stadium to the airport after the game...which is when the trip would start. Maybe an hour there. then when they land in SEA if it's a night game we're talking zero traffic, even if not they still wouldn't get intill maybe 8PM....so, not a whole lot of traffic there either. Maybe 30 minutes but I'll give you an hour tops. so you're talking 8 hours. 70 beers in 8 hours is a fucking shit ton. It would be hard...I would love to sit down and watch anyone try to do that.
    Last edited by Adolf Allerbush; 12-07-2007 at 03:58 PM.

If it takes you 12 hours to travel from NYC to Seattle you're doing something wrong. That doesn't pass the straight face test. they're on private chartered flights. They're don't need to pass through security. At most they have a deal getting from the stadium to the airport after the game...which is when the trip would start. Maybe an hour there. then when they land in SEA if it's a night game we're talking zero traffic, even if not they still wouldn't get intill maybe 8PM....so, not a whole lot of traffic there either. Maybe 30 minutes but I'll give you an hour tops. so you're talking 8 hours. 70 beers in 8 hours is a fucking shit ton. It would be hard...I would love to sit down and watch anyone try to do that.
    Reading comprehension - the plane had to stop and refuel in "north dakota or something".
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

Adolph, your initials are AA fro christ sake. You of all people should know that alcoholics defy the laws of physics every day.

Seriously, this is not that big a deal. In college we had case races all the time. Bring a 24 pack of schwag watery beer and pound it. Then we'd go to a party, drink 12 more, then go to the bar and drink til close.

Quote Originally Posted by altagirl View Post
    Reading comprehension - the plane had to stop and refuel in "north dakota or something".
    Thank you. I'm retarded. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by altagirl View Post
    Yea, except instead of it being a plane, earlier, they call it a road trip.

"Nelson: Oh, I’d say, on a typical road trip, east coast to west coast [Nelly played with Boggs on the Yankees], say a road game to Seattle……Wade would drink anywhere between 50 and 60 beers."

So yea, 60 beers on a coast to coast road trip really isn't all that much, especially if your road trips stops in "north dakota or something"

Whoever wrote that article needs to go back to school.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Yea, except instead of it being a plane, earlier, they call it a road trip.
    You do realize away games are called road games, don't you? I can't tell if you were trying to be sarcastic or not.