Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by el duderino View Post
    Thanks for the Krytpon info. Good to know the liners are already molded to the shells as suspected.

Now...find a shop with a blower and hopefully someone who knows how to use it, rice method, or boiling water method??
    I would think they'd yield similar results. I'd find a shop with stack blowers have them heat the liners, then disregard their fitting tips And fit using the prover tgr guidelines

From Intuition:

"The rice gets to about 118 C, and we normally heat at 120C."

I found that to be pretty interesting, based on the heats discussed here.

If this is in fact true, and the rice gets to 245F, it seems you could get a pretty good mold. Does the rice actually hold that temp for the full 10 minutes? It would be interesting to test with a laser thermometer (if I had one)

Quote Originally Posted by smolakian View Post
    Don't be...seriously.

I found out that my oven was way over-calibrated and actually caught my intuitions on fire. They still worked fine! (this was something like the 3rd bake on them, so at least they weren't new!)
    The last house I owned had a shitty oven and I would imagine there are more than a few ski bums living in a rental with a shitty oven, so I got an oven thermometer for >10$, also heat the liners on an oven cool down cycle not with the elements glowing red, and put liners on a piece of ply wood not the metal racks or a cookie sheet

but I think I would rather try the rice or boiling water than attempt to get a floppy hot liner into a ski boot and lined up or better still let my shop do it

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    The last house I owned had a shitty oven and I would imagine there are more than a few ski bums living in a rental with a shitty oven, so I got an oven thermometer for >10$, also heat the liners on an oven cool down cycle not with the elements glowing red, and put liners on a piece of ply wood not the metal racks or a cookie sheet

but I think I would rather try the rice or boiling water than attempt to get a floppy hot liner into a ski boot and lined up or better still let my shop do it
    Having never done any of the above mentioned methods, the H2O seems the easiest. However, 212F vs 250F is a pretty big difference. I am curious to know how much of a difference that makes. I've also heard that the foam softens at a lower temperature and it's really a matter of the time spent at that temperature.

I suppose there are ways to make the boiling water temperature hotter than 100C by adding salt/sugar/antifreeze/etc to the water before boiling, but that then takes it out of the "easiest" category.

I don't have a boot spreader (or a spare set of binders), helper, etc. so trying the oven method seems like a bit much. I also don't really want to end up with creases and with a Krypton ID, I'm not sure of the added benefit of the approach aside from the higher temperature.

You can also try putting the liners inside a plastic bag when you slip them back into the shell so they slide in smoothly and dont' get caught up. That's what the shop that fitted mine did.
    Having Fun at Skiing's Expense:
    BroBomb.com

Hi there.
    I just moulded my liners using the oven method. All went well, sort of. Liners slid in nicely, they fit and ski like a dream, but they are too short.

I bought them from intuition in Van, perfect size, shell has generous room. I used toe caps, tried to bang my heels back to form a pocket.

Any idea what went wrong, and how I can fix it?
    I am away skiing, so access to an oven ok, but I don't have the toe caps or moulding socks.

Thought I might try to heat just the toe area and stretch it a bit, as the fit is otherwise perfect.
    I would greatly appreciate your help.

Finstah Guest
    Ski them a few days. You will gain length as your heel continues to define the heel pocket.

If not, yeah you could spot heat the toes with a heatgun on low to medium (maybe even a hair dryer?) and stretch them a bit.

maybe try the hot water method its in here somewhere

bumparella for new booties on the way
    watch out for snakes

Bought myself new PWs for Xmas. Going for the rice method of molding. No idea if this is trivial but I accidentally got brown short rice instead of the instructed white. Does this matter??

no just don't cook it and yer fine

I had a GF who used spelt sewn into a bag as a heater pack she would drape it over her tight shoulders she put that thing in the micro dozens of times

so, I've got myself a pair of dynafit mercurys and got my hands on a pair of scarpa maestrale intuition liners to replace the stock liners which just did not work with my high instep, first pair of intuitions so pretty excited to see how they go! I'm looking at moulding them and can't easily get to a good boot fitter so been researching for home baking tips!

A bit of a problem I'm encountering just playing around is that it is near on impossible to get the liner with my foot bed and foot into the mercury shells, so I'm not liking my odds of getting them in with a gooey hot liner without thrashing them. the mercurys have a really deep heel pocket in the shells and its really hard to get the liner over the bump and into the heel pocket, especially with solid custom foot beds in the liners!

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? was looking at the thread on using a turkey bag and boiling water with the liners in the shells, seems to have worked alright for people, but doesn't seem to mould the liner to the shell that well, whether thats really much of an issue im not sure, from what i can tell they seem to fit the shell pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by micky_mikey View Post
    so, I've got myself a pair of dynafit mercurys and got my hands on a pair of scarpa maestrale intuition liners to replace the stock liners which just did not work with my high instep, first pair of intuitions so pretty excited to see how they go! I'm looking at moulding them and can't easily get to a good boot fitter so been researching for home baking tips!

A bit of a problem I'm encountering just playing around is that it is near on impossible to get the liner with my foot bed and foot into the mercury shells, so I'm not liking my odds of getting them in with a gooey hot liner without thrashing them. the mercurys have a really deep heel pocket in the shells and its really hard to get the liner over the bump and into the heel pocket, especially with solid custom foot beds in the liners!

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? was looking at the thread on using a turkey bag and boiling water with the liners in the shells, seems to have worked alright for people, but doesn't seem to mould the liner to the shell that well, whether thats really much of an issue im not sure, from what i can tell they seem to fit the shell pretty well.
    Get a 1 gal. plastic milk or water jug and cut a strip out of it to use like a shoe horn, and also a can of silicone spray.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Get a 1 gal. plastic milk or water jug and cut a strip out of it to use like a shoe horn, and also a can of silicone spray.
    And get a buddy to help you. Having someone there to spread the shell apart really makes all the difference IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

You can also put the liner in a slippery plastic grocery bag after it comes out of the oven. I was worried about the same thing myself, but the softened-up liner with rounder-than-stock heel in grocery bag went into the shell pretty easily. Make sure to have the cuff pushed all the way back first.

Success! ended up going with the tried and true oven, I found a spatula that's handle made a great shoe horn to lever the liners into the shells with. I put a bit of silicon spray on it for good luck and they went in without too much hassle, then pulled the back of the liner a bit too get any creases out of the heel and both liners came out perfectly! would definitely recommend some sort of shoe horn if having trouble getting the heel in the shells. Thanks for the tip Meadow Skipper.

It all went surprisingly smoothly, I definitely have a performance fit. I didn't do the buckles up very tight, could maybe have done the instep buckle up a bit tighter to create a bit more room there but it seems ok, tight but not painful. I will find out for sure tomorrow when it take them for a spin.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    And get a buddy to help you. Having someone there to spread the shell apart really makes all the difference IMO.
    This.

My $0.02. The less you have to press down on the heel sliding into the shell the less chance you have of getting a wonky heel--one where the heel seam is twisted. You want to also avoid having to pull on the back of the liner to insert it and when seating the heel. There should be no need to pound the heel into the pocket other than one firm flex forward.

If you do this correctly, both heel seams will be symmetrical and the liner will stick out of the boot top the same distance on each boot.

This thread is $$. After 2 different shops botching a simple bake of intuition liners, I followed the guidance thoughout this thread. Have a convection oven so I heated the liners at 220 for 12 minutes...seemed about perfect. Built a ghetto spreader using scrap wood and ratcheting tie downs following Yupper's example. Worked like magic. Had beers on standby and the wife brought me the cooked liners. Agony for 10 minutes and now they fit like a firm handshake. If any of the folks that contributed to this thread are ever at Magic, I'll buy you whatever you're drinking...ask for August West...most there know me by that as well as my real name.

Getting ready to mold a pair of Luxury MV's. I use a Sole ThinSport footbeds so the question now is....to use the footbed or not?
    First 360 mute grab --> Andrew Sheppard --> Snowdrifters 1996

Quote Originally Posted by DudeLebowSKI View Post
    Getting ready to mold a pair of Luxury MV's. I use a Sole ThinSport footbeds so the question now is....to use the footbed or not?
    Try it without. The Lux MV has a decent amount of foam in the sole. I did my Lux's this way and its worked great. Molds out into a nice footbed and I can't ever see going back to a footbed again.

^ Thanks.

Why wouldn't you? Foam vs. supportive footbed?

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Why wouldn't you? Foam vs. supportive footbed?
    That's a good point but supposedly the luxury liners come with a pretty thick formable foam bottom so I was wondering if I'd be doing a disservice by cramming a footbed in if it's not necessary or impedes the quality of the fit.

That's a good point but supposedly the luxury liners come with a pretty thick formable foam bottom so I was wondering if I'd be doing a disservice by cramming a footbed in if it's not necessary or impedes the quality of the fit.
    It's only as necessary as any footbed is, and if it impedes the fit, take it out. I've worn a lot of Intuition liners and fitted many more (though never the Luxo model) and no complaints with a footbed. But then, people that needed room or didn't have or want a footbed did fine as well. Personally, I really like my footbeds in.

I used to wear footbeds, but per Crystal I tried molding up the Lux's w/o footbeds. I found that I like them better, in fact much better, without. I don't need footbeds to correct for any major stance issues and the liner sole molds into a pretty good footbed. I would suggest if this is the case for you, give molding the liner without footbeds a try--ski them for a bit and then check back and let us know what you think.

If you feel you need the footbeds, you can just remold them with the footbeds.