Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Just got intuitions and am trying to figure out whether to cook them with my custom footbeds or not...they are almost unbearably tight with them in and pretty damn tight with them out. The toes also feel cramped regardless..thoughts?

^^^^^^^^^^ Are you test fitting them without baking?

For the umteen millionth time - you can't test fit Intuition liners that haven't been baked.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Just got intuitions and am trying to figure out whether to cook them with my custom footbeds or not...they are almost unbearably tight with them in and pretty damn tight with them out. The toes also feel cramped regardless..thoughts?
    I just had some baked (like 30 minutes ago) without them in, then put my foot in with caps,footbeds, and socks. It was the most mind numbing, excruciatingly miserable experience of my life....Next to marriage. After all was said and done the boot is fucking sex! My shit was fitting pretty well with stock liners, and I only went the intuition route because my toes were getting cold. It's a bonus that my boot fits even more amazing now
    Training for Alpental

I have a very tight 1cm shell fit in Kryptons and did my 2nd remold (3rd overall) with footbeds.
    Since each remold tends to thin out the liner, I was hoping all would be fine.
    Felt tight but OK after cooling, but on first day of skiing had numbness all day.
    Trying again.
    I'm guessing this will be the last shot with these liners before they're cooked out so I'd better get it right.

The question is whether or not to use footbeds.

My choices, as I see them, are mold with footbed and thicker sock or thin sock w/out footbed.
    However:
    Since I cooked them to fit the footbeds, will molding sans footbed make them too loose, now?
    IOW, have I already taken too much volume out of the liner or will it come back with a recook?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    I have a very tight 1cm shell fit in Kryptons and did my 2nd remold (3rd overall) with footbeds.
    Since each remold tends to thin out the liner, I was hoping all would be fine.
    Felt tight but OK after cooling, but on first day of skiing had numbness all day.
    Trying again.
    I'm guessing this will be the last shot with these liners before they're cooked out so I'd better get it right.

The question is whether or not to use footbeds.

My choices, as I see them, are mold with footbed and thicker sock or thin sock w/out footbed.
    However:
    Since I cooked them to fit the footbeds, will molding sans footbed make them too loose, now?
    IOW, have I already taken too much volume out of the liner or will it come back with a recook?

If you are finding them too tight with the footbed I would get rid of it and cook/mold without. The foam does expand again with the cook, but I am not sure if it returns to the "pre-foot bed" state.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Blaster View Post
    The foam does expand again with the cook, but I am not sure if it returns to the "pre-foot bed" state.
    That's my quandary.
    It does me no good to recook w/out footbeds if they are going now to be too loose.
    I'd be better off remolding w/ footbeds and thicker socks, then.

Roxtar - what kind of footbeds do you have? Can you grind them? You want to go with a thin footbed in this application.

Roxtar--Yes the liners go shrinky dink each time you heat cycle them. But I wouldn't try to mold them in thick socks. You're doomed to have slop down the road and will have to use even thicker socks later.

On footbeds. I'm sure there are tons of folks out there that swear by their footbeds, as I used to. I paid enough money for them that I just couldn't bear to not use them, but I now go w/o footbeds in all my Intuitions and I have never been happier w my boots. This may sound counterintuitive, but I would mold up the liners with the THINNEST sock you got--if you are committed to the footbeds then take Wild4's suggestion of the thinnest one you can put in. I know some folks need footbeds to correct stance issues, but for the 75% of those with normal feet and stance like me, you'll be happier without the beds.

I always mold up the liner 1st time with a Bridgedale Micro fit sock--those things are thin, thin, thin. For the first 20-25 days I ski only with those socks--which is about all I can fit in there. After that, the liners pack out some, and I move to the Bridgedale Ultra fit. Then the next 60-80 days I spend with those socks. As I get to 100+ days in the Intuitions I usually get another set of liners and start the process over again. IMO if you mold up a thick sock to begin with, you are gonna end up with a slop fit after you ski in them a while... and you are going to have to wear wool hunting socks.

And one more thing. Don't overtighten the buckles when you mold the liners. That compresses the liner too much. I stay very light on the buckle tension when molding.
    Last edited by Kim Jong-un; 02-21-2011 at 07:29 PM.

I always mold my liners using compression socks. This naturally mimics what happens when we ski - the feet/legs compress and get smaller to a degree once they're buckled tight into a boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Jong-un View Post
    Roxtar--Yes the liners go shrinky dink each time you heat cycle them. But I wouldn't try to mold them in thick socks. You're doomed to have slop down the road and will have to use even thicker socks later.

On footbeds. I'm sure there are tons of folks out there that swear by their footbeds, as I used to. I paid enough money for them that I just couldn't bear to not use them, but I now go w/o footbeds in all my Intuitions and I have never been happier w my boots. This may sound counterintuitive, but I would mold up the liners with the THINNEST sock you got--if you are committed to the footbeds then take Wild4's suggestion of the thinnest one you can put in. I know some folks need footbeds to correct stance issues, but for the 75% of those with normal feet and stance like me, you'll be happier without the beds.

I always mold up the liner 1st time with a Bridgedale Micro fit sock--those things are thin, thin, thin. For the first 20-25 days I ski only with those socks--which is about all I can fit in there. After that, the liners pack out some, and I move to the Bridgedale Ultra fit. Then the next 60-80 days I spend with those socks. As I get to 100+ days in the Intuitions I usually get another set of liners and start the process over again. IMO if you mold up a thick sock to begin with, you are gonna end up with a slop fit after you ski in them a while... and you are going to have to wear wool hunting socks.

And one more thing. Don't overtighten the buckles when you mold the liners. That compresses the liner too much. I stay very light on the buckle tension when molding.
    So do you think the liners will work without footbeds at this point?
    They would have to expand to make up the space previously taken by the footbed.

Roxtar- do you need footbeds to correct something? If yes then mold with the beds again--but use a very thin sock. The compression sock thing sounds interesting but those things are expensive, like $50/pair, and I'm not sure you could fit a footbed under them prior to molding as those are a struggle to put on naked foot.

You may want to have someone look at that footbed as Wild4 states and see if there is some shaving you need to reduce the volume of that bed so you are not numb. If it was me and I had the normal volume PW's or Lux liners with the foam in the footbed, I would take the chance of molding w/o the footbeds. The foam in the footbed area will expand again--maybe not like the first time but I think it will expand enough.

You don't say whether you are baking them in an oven or in a shop w a blower. On subsequent bakes, I think the temp/time thing becomes very critical to avoid too much shrinkage and you are less prone to overcooking them on a blower IMO. The next best thing is baking them in a convection oven with a fan vs a standard non-convection oven.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Jong-un View Post
    Roxtar- do you need footbeds to correct something? If yes then mold with the beds again--but use a very thin sock. The compression sock thing sounds interesting but those things are expensive, like $50/pair, and I'm not sure you could fit a footbed under them prior to molding as those are a struggle to put on naked foot.

You may want to have someone look at that footbed as Wild4 states and see if there is some shaving you need to reduce the volume of that bed so you are not numb. If it was me and I had the normal volume PW's or Lux liners with the foam in the footbed, I would take the chance of molding w/o the footbeds. The foam in the footbed area will expand again--maybe not like the first time but I think it will expand enough.

You don't say whether you are baking them in an oven or in a shop w a blower. On subsequent bakes, I think the temp/time thing becomes very critical to avoid too much shrinkage and you are less prone to overcooking them on a blower IMO. The next best thing is baking them in a convection oven with a fan vs a standard non-convection oven.
    I don't need the footbed. That's why I'm considering going without. The question is if I can still get a correct fit without one at this point.
    I'm using a convection oven

i just gave up with 3 days into putting power wraps into my <1 finger fit kryptons. The volume is just too low and I do need foot beds to support my collapsing arch. I swapped my powerwraps over to my BD quadrants and hope they stiffen them up.

I molded my Scarpa/Intuition liners tonight using the Bosch variable heat gun with a nozle and length of 3/4" auto heater hose to get the heat to the toe, with the boots upside down and a t-shirt covering most of the cuff to trap the heat but still allow airflow out. The first liner I did at "250" degrees on the dial for 10 minutes, but I don't think it was hot enough, needed more time or a higher temp. It molded somewhat, but nothing like when I had a shop do it using their oven.

I cooked the second liner for 10 minutes at "250", then checked the internal temp with a laser heat gauge and was only getting about 220 in the liner. So I cranked up the heat gun to "290" and gave it another ten minutes, and this time the gauge said 250 in the liner. Slid my foot into the liner and it was definitely ready, nice and gushy. Mold came out real nice, except that I left the Scarpa insoles in the liners and the higher temp cook shrunk the insole to about 2/3 of it's original size....oooops. (The lower temp on the first boot had no effect on the insole.)

Might hit the first liner again, but will probably ski it first and see how it feels. If anything I'll just do a local cook with the heat gun on the toe from the outside and wear a thicker toe cap, as I did with the second liner on my right foot, which is a bit longer than my left.

bump for molding season!!

i had good success with the "rice sock" fill a sock with rice, nuke it for 7 minutes and slam it into the liners already in the boot, then let it hang out for 10 minutes. then insert foot.

Yoopers boot spreader pics aren't showing up for me and I'm not seeing photos in the other intuition threads either....

Was planning on making a spreader but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Help?

Check your computer^^^ Pictures are showing up on mine.
    Just molded some Maestrales Monday using the spreader.Noticed that this boot almost does not need the spreader with the hinged tongue though.Another perfect fit,thanks Yooper.

Should have clarified - i can see almost all the picturrs in threads, but like half of the ones in yoopers post are tiny empty boxes with x's. Others show fine in this thread and others.

Mind pm'ing me spreader photos so i can figure out what's involved in making one?

Just a note of warning to people. Obviously you wouldn't want to cook your liners with custom insoles in them, but even if you dont have custom insoles and just have say a superfoot insole or something that you potentially wouldn't want to replace it might be best to cook the liners, then put the footbed. I didn't think anything of it, cuz I was cooking with some stock insoles (I know why buy intuitions then put stock beds in em, w/e) But after having been heated when I put my foot in, the the edges of the footbeds were warm enough apparently that they curled over all around the edge. Now I dont really care personally, its a stock insole, so I can't say I'm sad about it being fuked. But if say you went out and bought a $50 insole or something and dont wanna have to replace that w/o ever wearing it might be wise to heat w/o them in. Just an observation.

mission accomplished ; Thanks to yooper - and All contributors !

Props to yooper - and everyone who has contributed to this thread ...

Just finished cookin' M.'s Intuition liners with apparent Success --

- placed the heated liner in a plastic shopping bag and used igBand's butter-y PAM Spray to ease ,,, reInsertion ...

( note - this was a pair of external tongue Scarpas, so spreading and re-insertion were Not difficult -- )

toe caps - check.

Custom insoles - Superfeet Kork ...
    [ Do Not heat these with your liners or you will lose the Alignment Correction of the insole ! ! ]

M. says, ' ... they feel like Socks ! '

... On-Snow next weekend ...

Thanks, yooper - This Is a great thread ...

skiJ

" ... I will do anything to go Skiing ... There Is no pride ... " (Miriam , 2005-2006 epic)

Dec21, 2016. LittleBigLost :
    " I think about it everyday. It is my reminder to live life to the fullest. I get up early, go to bed late, 'cuz I got shit to do. Like I said, I'm 61. Not going to wait till I'm 81 to do stuff, ...

Get out there and do stuff!

Enjoy life to the fullest!!

See you on the slopes! "

My throw-in for this thread...

I molded my liners to my feet using the baking method... Like this better than the rice because I'm ensured an even heating, and it also molds the outside of the liner to the boot shell.

I did use the rice method a couple nights ago though... the fit was perfect in my boots everywhere except my left ankle, didn't want to go through the hassle of rebaking the whole liner, so I put enough rice in a sock to just fill up the ankle portion of the boot (2lbs?), folded up a beer koozie and taped it to my ankle, everything is wonderful now.

hey now! grabbed a pair of FT First Chair's. we sell them at the shop. i've never skied in a three piece or Intuition. baked them yesterday and dropped a new 'no post' footbed in with toe cap's and med weight sox. they feel so good in my living room. i'm actually going to use them as my side/backcountry/soft snow boot. anyone touring in these bad larry's? waiting on 'top to bottom' at the local hill to give them a ride. we need snow
    crab in my shoe mouth

^ yes people tour in Full Tilts. Why just your backcountry/ soft snow boot instead of everyday? I have the First Chairs and 6, 8, and 10 flex tongues... Love the swappability.

^again, this will be my first time in a 'three', and an Intuition. i'm more accustomed to a 130 plug style, four buckle overlapper.
    i actually love to ski 'ice'. 'world cup' Tuesday's are some of my favorite day's on the hill. 35 second 'beer league' racing makes my wicked happy. not, convinced the FT will work with my 187cm, 23 meter race stick's. but, who know's? either way, i'm stoked to try something different. touring boot's have, never yet, felt good to me. woot..
    crab in my shoe mouth