edge repair recommendations

I inherited a snowboard from my brother as a restoration project. Actually, I have no experience with this kind of thing and wanted to use it as an opportunity to learn how to do it when this inevitably happens to some of my gear in the future. I hope you mags have good first-hand advice for me as a repair JONG ...

So here are some crappy photos (the camera blows) of the damage from 3 angles.

The length of the damage is probably about 1 3/4" inches. It's located at the tail where the sidecut starts to transition to the tail curvature.

Notice how the base has been warped by the edge pushing into it. Also notice the minor sidewall damage.

It's an Atomic Dream Raider, though I have no idea what the core and sidewall materials are. I'm guessing standard wood/fiberglass sandwich with UHMW sidewalls.

I'm thinking of getting an edge repair section (and screws) and base repair section from Tognar, as I've seen recommended here for other folks. My friend has a small workshop with some dremel tools and a drill press - I hope that will be enough for our needs.

What do you guys use to cut the edge material precisely? Abrasive wheel?

Any recommendations or tricks you use to get the base patch to fit well?

Should I be concerned about the sidewall damage or can I just sand that down?

Also, as a mere curiosity, how much do you guys think shops might charge for this type of repair? Just curious ...

Any and all advice is much appreciated - thanks!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

This should get cha started
    http://www.telemarktips.com/BaseRepair.html
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

before you cut the bent edge out, might want to try to straighten what you have.

Clamp the end just behind the bend and try to rebend it back in place. Also bend in only one dimension at a time, Out, then down..

Worse case you can't and then you have to cut a new edge.

For the new edge chunk cut on angles ======\______/==== to help hold the chunk in place if it gets re-hit.

For the sidewall and core, mask all the sides with tape, and fill with 24 hour cure epoxy, heat it with a blow dryer and use a flat head screw drive to open/close the damage to get the epoxy to flow into the core.

Shop cost for repair only, (not a tune to smooth it out) $30-$60

To add to that link and the above post...

The shop I work at just now doesn't use screws in edge repairs, and when I was taught previously our guy skimmed over edge repair but didn't mention screws. Could be a N American thing. Repairs our tech does without screws seem to hold pretty well. The angled cutting is key. Use a Dremel disc.

The sidewall damage isn't really an issue. Sand/chisel, fill with epoxy then sand smooth.

For getting the patch to fit well, cut the patch first, clamp it hard to the ski then cut around it with an art knife or scalpel using the patch as a template. Perfect fit. Remember to mark which end is the tip end because you never cut them exactly symetrical.

Finishing the job would be the trickiest part to get right. Not much more you can do than use bastard file + metal scraper and the finish isn't going to be great.

Thanks mags, good advice all around.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell