Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

07/08 Gotama - Easy Question

This may have been already asked....I am looking to buy a pair of new gotama's and not sure what year to grab....With the early release of the new gotama it is a toss up. So, other than the top sheet/graphics, what other changes did volkl make from the 06/07 gotama to the 07/08 gotama? (eg. dimensions, flex, etc...)

Thanks

The edge material is beefier...we made our own that has double the purchase of commercially available edge material. We also added a another layer of glass in the binding area to increase retention. These 2 things may add just a tiny bit of stiffness to it, but so far through the trade fair test schedule, only the most skilled Gotama fans can feel it. It's very minimal.

08 Gotama

I am looking to buy a pair of 08's as well. My buddy who is a buyer for a reputable shop, probably the top one in Utah, says the only difference is cosmetics. If I hear otherwise from any other credible sources, I'll let you know.
    "If you are prepared for zombies, you are prepared for anything"

De Oppresso Liber

thread-jack

hey squaretail when might the katana be available to touch, feel and purchase? i think that might be my new ski next year and i'm already getting anxious.

i'm also thinking of a pair of capatals next year. you gotta order the capitals early or no soup for you. would like to try to oogle the katana before pulling the triger on the capitals.

thanks in advance - flow

Hey Squaretail....Thanks for the info. I am a bigger guy 6'0" 225# and pretty hard on skiis. The 07/08 sounds better for me....do you know where I can pick up a pair of the new release in 190cm?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkwood View Post
    Hey Squaretail....Thanks for the info. I am a bigger guy 6'0" 225# and pretty hard on skiis. The 07/08 sounds better for me....do you know where I can pick up a pair of the new release in 190cm?

$699 at http://www.untracked.com/p1932c2b53-...tama_skis.html

All I can say is I saw the 07/08s on Friday and they are muy sexy. Especially since they would match my boots perfectly.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Any difference in base thickness? Assuming no since ST didn't mention it.
    A lot of people earn their turns. Some just get bigger checks.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    All I can say is I saw the 07/08s on Friday and they are muy sexy. Especially since they would match my boots perfectly.
    as an acomplished ski equipment matcher, i support this decison.

get sum - bc-flow aka mr. match

Yep, a little stiffer than the previous models. A buddy of mine who skis the Subaru US Freeskiing Tour got his a few weeks ago and can’t say enough good about them. I weigh 205 and ski pretty hard and for me they are the perfect resort powder ski. Hell, one ski quiver if you’re not into rockin bumps. Pulling the trigger on the 08 190! They freakin RULE!

Anyone wanna buy a pair of Solly Gun Lab's ??
    "If you are prepared for zombies, you are prepared for anything"

De Oppresso Liber

The one odd thing with the 08 model is the lack of any mounting mark on the sidewalls. They have "boot center" and "ski center" marked on the topsheet but I was always under the impression that this is not very accurate. Anyone compare the 07 and 08 models to see how the mounting points compare? They should be the same and I am guessing the "boot center" mark is similar to the FR spot on my retired 06 Gots.

Quote Originally Posted by truberski View Post
    The one odd thing with the 08 model is the lack of any mounting mark on the sidewalls. They have "boot center" and "ski center" marked on the topsheet but I was always under the impression that this is not very accurate. Anyone compare the 07 and 08 models to see how the mounting points compare? They should be the same and I am guessing the "boot center" mark is similar to the FR spot on my retired 06 Gots.
    Yeah, I also noticed the lack of a mount mark on the sidewall. Maybe the embossed Buddha aligns the topsheet?
    Last edited by Mountain Junkie; 03-07-2007 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Didn't want to seem like I was misquoting ST
    A lot of people earn their turns. Some just get bigger checks.

jerr is offline Underwater trapeze artist
    Quote Originally Posted by BC-FLOW View Post
    thread-jack

hey squaretail when might the katana be available to touch, feel and purchase? i think that might be my new ski next year and i'm already getting anxious.
    It looks like some 183 Katanas are available now for $799

psst altasnowbirdripper: Squaretail is Volkl
    Nine out of ten Jeremy's prefer a warm jacket to a warm day

jerr is offline Underwater trapeze artist
    And it seems the Katana will be available in a 197!

The devil rides...sometime next season

Hijack finished, sorry about that.
    Nine out of ten Jeremy's prefer a warm jacket to a warm day

Me likey my 07/08's. Didn't have the 06/07's so I can't compare. Concerning the mounting point, I went 1cm forward of boot center to match up with my 05/06 Gotama's (which were mounted 1cm forward of the FR mark) and I must say they still feel too far back (and I like 'em back). I'm not sure if it is the fritschi limiting my tail flex or what, but I am considering moving them forward 1 more cm....

Quote Originally Posted by altasnowbirdripper View Post
    Anyone wanna buy a pair of Solly Gun Lab's ??
    ha, ha, ha, ha
    "Why do I always get more kisses on powder days?" -my wife

Q...

If i dig on a dynastar LP 186cm..... which size gotama would you go for?
    Im kind of bummed.... I ordered a 190cm , but 183cm arrived instead.

However I just took them to the shop to have mounted cause im in squaw all week and the other ski i brought with me is the pontoon

(sigh) at least they were fucking cheap.

the 183 might be fun... more different that the 190 vs. LP?

anyhow, you really should try some spats though. you'd really dig them!

hugs and kisses (and lets go fucking ski when you make it back...)

Hi all,

Sorry I'm a little late to this party...I was conducting some well earned product testing in Utah...Here are a few salient points to the mounting point discussion:

1) Going forward from here, all Völkl twins (Gotama included) will have a topsheet mark at "True Center" as well as "Boot Center." The True Center Mark represents the mid point of the running surface, NOT the total length of the ski.

2) Mountain Junkie pulled up my points from this discussion on the 0607 white Gotama. It is true that there are no sidewall marks on the 0708 Gold Gotamas, and we have worked hard to make the topsheet marks consistently accurate. Having said that, you wouldn't be wasting your time to compare the Boot Center marks on your Gold Gotamas to these specs, measured in a straight line from the tail to the topsheet:

168cm = 70.7 cm Boot center
    176cm = 73.5 cm Boot center
    183cm = 76.8 cm Boot center
    190cm = 79.8 cm Boot center

EDIT: I can't imagine that those Katanas are ready to ship from untracked.com...we don't even have enough for all the mag tests & film shoots, but hey, maybe they paid off one of my comrades for a couple pairs...
    Last edited by squaretail; 03-07-2007 at 10:36 AM.

Since Squaretail is listening I may as well bring up a beef.

As a long time dedicated Gotama user, I was upset to see the 07/08 model in stores by mid-January.

I mean, dedicated skiers are going to buy their equipment early to make sure they are set up before gear sells out for the season and be stoked on having the latest gear. But to have punters who buy later in the year snake the core riders and be on a newer ski only 3-4 months after the 06/07 comes out.
    Where's the Volkl love to the dedicated buyer?

I may be the only one that feels this way. What are other opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by squaretail View Post
    1) Going forward from here, all Völkl twins (Gotama included) will have a topsheet mark at "True Center" as well as "Boot Center." The True Center Mark represents the mid point of the running surface, NOT the total length of the ski.

YES!!!!

I've argumented before that all manufacturers should complement whatever mark they allready put on their skis by a true center (=center of snow contact running surface). For (pretty much) anybody that whant to think for him or he self about where to mount, the center of running surface is the most relevant reference point.

Of course, its not hard to find this point yourself, but marking it on the skis would help popolarize it.

So Völkl/Squaretail: Good job (and I hope this hold for semi-twintips like Katana, Mantra etc too).

Robnow: I understand your problem. I'm involved in the windsurfing industry and its the same there (its early 07, 08 products are ready since long and protos for 09 is being concieved as we speak, but most buyers of 07 gear have not even gotten their stuff yet). I agree that 08 product being out in regular stores early 07 is "over the edge". But still, when you think about all aspects here (mag tests, team riders etc, demo skis for reps etc) you pretty much comes to the conclusion its enevitable that few 08 skis have to make it out in the "semi real world" early 07.

Quote Originally Posted by HitMe View Post
    Robnow: I understand your problem. I'm involved in the windsurfing industry and its the same there (its early 07, 08 products are ready since long and protos for 09 is being concieved as we speak, but most buyers of 07 gear have not even gotten their stuff yet). I agree that 08 product being out in regular stores early 07 is "over the edge". But still, when you think about all aspects here (mag tests, team riders etc, demo skis for reps etc) you pretty much comes to the conclusion its enevitable that few 08 skis have to make it out in the "semi real world" early 07.
    Well I can understand mid season ski releases, but to have 06/07 ski gear arriving in most shops, lets say, at least around Banff/Calgary, in beginning November. And then to see 07/08 gear out mid-January. That is only 3 months.

Although it almost makes me want to sell my Gots and get the 07/08 Dynastar XXLs I saw in the shop yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by jerr View Post
    And it seems the Katana will be available in a 197!

The devil rides...sometime next season

Hijack finished, sorry about that.
    Confirmed by Völkl peeps on this side of the pond...

Even the 18? Katana seemed nice...

Basicly it's a tie for me with Blizzard Akira and 18? Katana... Or mebbe I'll get both... one for tele and one w/ Duke's.
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

robnow: I hear ya, and in a perfect world there would be no early or mid season releases from anybody. Unfortunately, the dealers really hold the gun to our heads in this scenario. Here's the deal: they don't order enough up front. Then when demand increases, they reorder mid-season. Eventually, we run out of skis and many dealers go postal and threaten to buy skis from another manufacturer that has inventory. Basically, we're just trying to preserve relations with our dealers. Why use the new 0708 topsheet? Simple. We ran out of white ones, and it wouldn't make sense to use anymore of those.

hemas: I've had the 197 Katana "confirmed" to me also. Unfortunately, I've also heard this before (197 Gotama), so I'm waiting until I actually see a pair to confirm its existence to the board. Having said that, and I know somebody will torch me for this, but the 190 is all you really should need. At that width and with that construction, it's pretty damn big.

HitMe: I believe Katana and Mantra will have both marks. Some of the early samples don't have them, but the plan is that they will be there in final production.

Which Gotama for me?

As you guys seem to know your Goats, I was hoping for some advice...

I'm looking for a new pair of big-mountain twins (am currently on a PE 174) and like the idea of a pair of Gotamas. I would like to know which length to go for to partner the Enemies in 2 ski quiver.

I'm 5' 10" 165lb, am no Seth but can rip it pretty hard when I want. I live in the UK so ski Europe (Cham this winter) but will be heading back to NZ soonish. Am thinking the 176 would be wise but the 183 with a Duke binding tempts me- any thoughts?

Go Big

Quote Originally Posted by billyhayes View Post

I'm looking for a new pair of big-mountain twins (am currently on a PE 174) and like the idea of a pair of Gotamas. I would like to know which length to go for to partner the Enemies in 2 ski quiver.
    I had a similar question last year and ended up going with the 190 over the 183 (I am bigger guy than you are). The 190 skis more like a 183 because of the twin tip, but I'm not sure how they compare to the Enemies length. I've been stoked on mine - definitely have no regrets with going bigger.

I remember there being a bunch of stuff here on Gotama length. Do a search.
    "Not so loud, huh kid? I was up all night doing a crossword puzzle."