PDA

View Full Version : Bit Torrent, which program, how the hell do I use it?

MassLiberal
10-01-2007, 08:00 AM
I just found a bunch of bluegrass shows that were made available by the band, but they are only available via bit torrent. I've never had much luck with it in the past, I was wondering which program is best, and a website which explains how the hell to use the thing. A little help?

SkiDork
10-01-2007, 08:03 AM
I just found a bunch of bluegrass shows that were made available by the band, but they are only available via bit torrent. I've never had much luck with it in the past, I was wondering which program is best, and a website which explains how the hell to use the thing. A little help?

I use bitcomet.

I google for a "bit torrent search engine" - isohunt.com is one

Then I search for what I'm looking for

Then download the torrent - it's really just a string which you save in a folder somewhere.

Then go to bitcomet.

Open the torrent you just saved, and it will start downloading.

hemas
10-01-2007, 08:08 AM
I use µTorrent, since when I click on a torrent-file (in the web browser), it'll automatically open the torrent-file and so on.

Easy to use and all.

Sensisnow
10-01-2007, 08:20 AM
I'm a big fan of uTorrent (http://utorrent.com/). It's pretty quick and uses minimal system resources. I've also had a lot of success with both BitLord and BitComet as well.

The most important thing to do with any bittorrent program is making sure that you have the port forwarded through your router for both incoming and outgoing connections so that you're able to properly connect with other peers. The procedure for doing this is different for each router so you'll need to look up the information for the specific router you'll be using or you can check the forums over on the uTorrent site.

SkiDork
10-01-2007, 08:24 AM
I'm a big fan of uTorrent (http://utorrent.com/). It's pretty quick and uses minimal system resources. I've also had a lot of success with both BitLord and BitComet as well.

The most important thing to do with any bittorrent program is making sure that you have the port forwarded through your router for both incoming and outgoing connections so that you're able to properly connect with other peers. The procedure for doing this is different for each router so you'll need to look up the information for the specific router you'll be using or you can check the forums over on the uTorrent site.

I've actually never had to forward any ports on my router for bitcomet to work.

Do you think I'm sacrificing any performance? It seems to work just fine without any port forwarding

TyeStick
10-01-2007, 12:14 PM
I've actually never had to forward any ports on my router for bitcomet to work.

Do you think I'm sacrificing any performance? It seems to work just fine without any port forwarding

What kind of speeds do you get, with ports open I get anywhere from 500 KB/sec to 1.5 MB/sec.

SkiDork
10-01-2007, 12:20 PM
What kind of speeds do you get, with ports open I get anywhere from 500 KB/sec to 1.5 MB/sec.

I'll have to get back to you. I plan on grabbing "The Office" season 3 soon, I'll let you know what I get. Thanks.

William Murderface
10-01-2007, 12:51 PM
wiki "bittorrent" I use isohunt usually, and run azereus. works great.

MassLiberal
10-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Thanks guys

Spats
10-01-2007, 03:15 PM
I'm not a torrent person, but from what I've seen and briefly used, everything but uTorrent is a big fat useless pile of crap.

dfinn
10-01-2007, 03:25 PM

my speeds increased when I forwarded ports as well.

MassLiberal, which bluegrass band you talking about?

MassLiberal
10-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Trampled by Turtles. You can listen to some of their stuff at http://www.trampledbyturtles.com/

They've been described as the ramones of bluegrass. They kick ass.

Snow Dog
10-01-2007, 06:02 PM
I use uTorrent. I usually open it first, let it do it's port forwarding and initialization and then use my browser to find torrents and get things rolling. ZoneAlarm + uTorrent = cage match in my computer. I turn off ZA and let my router (a LinkSys wireless-G) protect me. The router needed a firmware update to handle the zillions of connections a torrent generates. Port forwarding in the router is handled via uPnP (universal plug 'n play) so most people don't need to explicitly deal with it. My ISP tries to throttles torrents so I turn on encryption (in uTorrent preferences) to hide the data.
I use mininova.org (music) and piratebay.org (TV shows) for most searches.

doublediamond223
10-02-2007, 01:35 AM
I need Azureus' RC4 encryption in order to avoid the packet resizing on my university network, so that's obviously what I use. It's better than any of the others I had tried before though anyway.

arild
10-02-2007, 01:51 AM
Since most of the responses re:applications have been PC related, I thought I would throw a mac app in. Transmission is by far the easiest and least memory hog. Download the .torrent file from wherever and open. Azureus is a memory hog, but has more advanced features.

Opening ports on your router is another issue...

Seconding Transmission for mac users. Works great with Opera, if you go into the settings and put Trans. as the default program for torrent downloads. If not, Opera will hog the torrent, and this is a real pain in the ass.

SkiDork
10-02-2007, 03:52 AM
I'll have to get back to you. I plan on grabbing "The Office" season 3 soon, I'll let you know what I get. Thanks.

With bitcomet and no ports forwarded, I'm getting in the 100 - 200 kB/sec range both up and down. Based on what some of you said, looks like I should forward some ports.

Thanks for the tip.

hemas
10-02-2007, 05:32 AM
With bitcomet and no ports forwarded, I'm getting in the 100 - 200 kB/sec range both up and down. Based on what some of you said, looks like I should forward some ports.

Thanks for the tip.

Might help, but also might not. It depends on the number of seaders & peers online, and also about the speed of your inet connection.

But do try, by all means... As you might get more speed (but then again, you might not, if eg. your output band is already clogged).

SkiDork
10-02-2007, 05:58 AM
Might help, but also might not. It depends on the number of seaders & peers online, and also about the speed of your inet connection.

But do try, by all means... As you might get more speed (but then again, you might not, if eg. your output band is already clogged).

I have that info - when I took a look this morning, I had:

Seed/Peer[All]
11/55[71/935]

Does that look like opening ports would help? Not sure exactly how to interpret those numbers.

Thanks.

roark
10-02-2007, 06:26 AM
I have that info - when I took a look this morning, I had:

Seed/Peer[All]
11/55[71/935]

Does that look like opening ports would help? Not sure exactly how to interpret those numbers.

Thanks.

Dork:

You are connected to 11 of 71 available seeds and 55 of 935 available peers.

I'll throw my hat in the utorrent ring as well. Also has a nice little test to check if your ports are forwarded correctly and points you to a site to help you fix it if they aren't.

And pay musicians for music dammit.

Tuckerman
10-02-2007, 07:44 AM
wiki "bittorrent" I use isohunt usually, and run azereus. works great.

Thats the set up I use as well it works great.

RedWolf
10-02-2007, 08:05 AM
Trampled by Turtles. They've been described as the ramones of bluegrass. They kick ass.

Not to hijack, but they just announced a new tour schedule. Figured a lot of you would be in the towns that they're coming to. I saw them last fall in Cedar City, UT, and twice at Wakarusa, and they're absolutely incredible in person. Definitely check them out if you get the chance.

Okay. Carry on.

MassLiberal
10-02-2007, 09:52 AM
Not to hijack, but they just announced a new tour schedule. Figured a lot of you would be in the towns that they're coming to. I saw them last fall in Cedar City, UT, and twice at Wakarusa, and they're absolutely incredible in person. Definitely check them out if you get the chance.

Okay. Carry on.

No need to apologize for the hijack, everyone should see this band, they absolutely slay it.

SkiDork
10-02-2007, 09:56 AM
why does it seem like blugrass and skiing go together?