View Full Version : Beta needed-Yuper Green River
08-24-2007, 11:13 AM
Heading that way in early Oct. Wanted to break up the normal A,B section floats. Anyone drift the Green b/t Fontanelle and F.G.? How 'bout above Fontanelle? Easy drift? Patterns?
08-24-2007, 11:36 AM
I don't fish F - FG very much but when I do, it's in OCT. Can be excellent if the flows are steady...make sure you check them!
You're gonna run into LOW water from the headwaters all the way to Fontanelle. The river should be fishing well just not much water for floating. Keep in mind that most of the water above FTL res. flows through private land. The shitty-ass WY water law says that the river bottom belongs to the land owner. :mad: Many of the folks down there aren't who you want to run into as you are dragging the boat over a shallow section on their "property"! It can be done though. There are a couple LONG floats, (20 miles all through private property), that always fish well in the fall. Wading around Warren Bridge will get you some fish. Wading above the bridge around the campgrounds can produce then and the small public access on the New Fork should be fishable too.
If you're in the neighborhood and have time, the South Fork should be fishing great.
Feel free to PM me if you want more beta on where to fish.
08-24-2007, 01:43 PM
Great info Schwerty...thank you. Was also going to try to get up to Star Valley this fall. The wife's relatives live in the Afton area and her uncle is the land use manager for Orivs' little ranchette up there. Wasn't sure if the Salt would be running way low. We've done a few family reuinions up on the Grays, but I've never fished it.
Sometimes the work thing just gets a little too annoying. Locked the fall trip in from Oct 6 to Oct 13 however. The steelhead skating party in E. OR. is off this year so we can see a different brand of sagebrush!
08-24-2007, 03:30 PM
The Salt will be fishing great then. The big daddy browns usually start to move out of Palisades res. in the middle of Oct. There is word that some are already up in the Salt due to the res. being at 2% or so! The river is very floatable then as well.
The Greys is a little tougher then but still holds some resident fish.
09-08-2007, 09:41 AM
I fished below Fontenelle y-day. Things are starting to pick up and October could be great. There's a real nice float thru Seedskadee National Wildlife Refuge and from the Fontenalle dam down to where ever you want to take out from there to the town of Green River (I would recommend staying above the highway 28 bridge). Like most anywhere in Wyoming the wind can be a real bitch around those parts.
09-10-2007, 11:57 AM
I fished the Upper in the near the campgrounds yesterday and did well. The water is very low up here! Browns should start acting up in a couple weeks.
09-18-2007, 07:09 AM
I thought part of the river below Fontanelle closed for part of October for the brown spawn? Any truth to this?
09-18-2007, 10:49 AM
Jellystone = real good!
Snake in Jackson = BAD but will be good when they drop the flows!! ???
Upper South Fork = shit! Silty
Lower SF = about to get good!
Upper Green to F. Res = Getting better!
PM if you need specifics before you get here.
09-18-2007, 06:22 PM
thanks on the info. Heading to Cabo on Friday for a couple days of inshore roosterfishn' and possibly a day of dredging for marlin.
I'll give you a shout late next week.
09-21-2007, 12:59 PM
How 'bout a Rooster TR?
10-03-2007, 04:19 PM
Wife caught the first one about 180 pounds
Mine was the second...about 290
First day was cancelled due to storm surge from Evo, got friendly enough the next day we could out. Saw lots of big bull dorado while fighting the marlin (which we kicked back). Two and a half hours fighting blue marlin was enough, so we chased around the dorado. Had two, both pushing 50-60 pounds on and lost them right at the boat. Never got a chance to chace roosters or yellowtail inshore before we had to leave. They told me the inshore Rooster fishing kicks in hard in Feb. I booked the time share for then!
We are going to hit the Green next week, Sunday through Tuesday. Sunday is iffy and we'll look at the weather when heading east early that morning. That would be our one day above Flaming Gorge. Don't think we'll make it to the Salt till later in Oct. Be down in Altamont area the rest of the week and finish with Strawberry Res next Sat.
10-03-2007, 08:21 PM
PM before you come up! Looks like a great trip for you and the Wife!
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.