PDA

View Full Version : Tibia and Fibula break (Dec 31, 2006) advice

Crass3000
01-04-2007, 09:45 PM
I just broke my tibia at the top of the ski boot and the fibula close to the ankle as well a few inches down from the knee. All were full breaks and not fracutres. The sergeon put a rod in my tibia and just a couple of screws on the lower fibula break. He said he normally doesn't even set the fibula and that it normally heals just fine.

Anybody have any experience with this? I can actually feel the top fibula break moving around and popping at will as I roll over, etc. I just don't see how its going to heal well if it keeps moving around. I am likely going to get a second opinion from another sergeon.

Any experience with this or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

AsheanMT
01-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Holy shit that sounds soooo nasty. I have no advice just +++vibes for you.

amyzilla
01-05-2007, 12:13 AM
I broke my fibula near the knee, and the bone was also sort of shoved up toward the knee, so I had to have screws put in at the ankle to set it. It felt a lot better once I had the surgery. It felt pretty solid after eight weeks or so, but it still cracks sometimes like a knuckle. X-rays show that it's still crooked at the top, but my docs assure me it'll straighten out. Evidently it takes like 18-24 months for bone to completely reform.

Good luck in your recovery!

TWINS
01-05-2007, 01:23 AM
I fractured my Fibula last May.Right below the boot cuff.Its healed now but still gets sore there when I ski.Also a large bump where the break was is now a pressure point in my boot.Get a second opinion.

Shen
01-05-2007, 06:27 AM
I am likely going to get a second opinion from another sergeon.

Get on this quickly...if the broken ends start healing without mending together...it can be lead to a of preventable procedures....(Surgeon).

criscam
01-05-2007, 04:20 PM
another vote for getting a second opinion. broke my tib/fib last year. rod in tib. didn't do anything w/ fib and ended up healing fine. however, i never noticed/felt it moving around.what did the doc say about moving/putting weight on the leg?

Crass3000
01-05-2007, 11:55 PM
another vote for getting a second opinion. broke my tib/fib last year. rod in tib. didn't do anything w/ fib and ended up healing fine. however, i never noticed/felt it moving around.what did the doc say about moving/putting weight on the leg?

They pretty much said no weight on the leg for the next couple months.

gergberg
01-06-2007, 12:21 PM
I broke both bones as well, last Feb.

A problem might arise in your case as for the tib break to heal properly there shouldnt be any weight on the leg for some time(dont ask me why), and then only gradually start to apply weight(took me 3 months to be fully weight bearing and I was still not pain free then).
For the fibula break to heal (properly=fast since there is no plate or other device to hold the bone in correct position in your case) you need to put some weight on it which is (at least from my experience) totally impossible for quite some time after the tibia break. So definitely get a second opinion, quickly.For any bone to heal, you need to put some weight on it, but the right amount and time is different for different bones.
All I have written is strictly from what I think to remember of what the surgeons told me when I went/still go through the whole process. I know of some fibula breaks where no surgery was performed, but like I already said the guys were told to not take it too easy with the injured leg, i.e. put weight on it (fib break is not thaat bad if you still have the tibia to hold everything together and take the load of your weight). In those cases the fibula break took about 8 weeks to heal. But they didnt have a tib break at the same time.

Godwin-Austin
01-02-2008, 04:11 PM
I just clipped a tree at whiteface in lake placid and broke my tibia and fibula right over my boot-top. The surgeon put a titanium rod through the tibia, but did nothing with the fibula. Does anyone else recommend getting a second opinion on this? I am going to try to push this and heal quickly ( not too fast, but I want to avoid being too easy on it and letting it waste away)

any suggestions would be helpful.

thanks.

criscam
01-02-2008, 04:23 PM
I just clipped a tree at whiteface in lake placid and broke my tibia and fibula right over my boot-top. The surgeon put a titanium rod through the tibia, but did nothing with the fibula. Does anyone else recommend getting a second opinion on this? I am going to try to push this and heal quickly ( not too fast, but I want to avoid being too easy on it and letting it waste away)

any suggestions would be helpful.

thanks.

from my experience, if the fib is already somewhat aligned, no need to do anything with it. should heal up on it's own. doc told me to start putting weight on it asap as it will expedite the healing process.

Godwin-Austin
01-02-2008, 04:48 PM
from my experience, if the fib is already somewhat aligned, no need to do anything with it. should heal up on it's own. doc told me to start putting weight on it asap as it will expedite the healing process.

yeah, same here, which I thought was strange...but he said that the titanium rod in the tibia would support the body weight, and to start gradually putting weight on the leg immediately.

I like this, as I dont want my body to "forget" completely what it means to bear weight and balance.

The doc told me a year before a full recovery, but I am hoping for 6-7 months before I can be active again.,,,:confused:

connersw
01-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Interesting that this protocol has changed. When I broke my tip/fib (boot top fracture) back in 99, I was specifically told to ensure no weight was put on it due to concerns that the tibia would compress leaving me with one leg shorter than the other. I had similar treatment: rod thru the tib w/ 2 screws just below the knee and 2 screws just above the ankle--nothing to the fib.

My fib healed just fine without issues. You can still feel the break on the tibia thru the skin and there is large calcium build up there. If I ski 5-6 days in a row, it starts to ache from banging against my boot. Also can still feel it whenever the weather changes.

Good luck with a speedy recovery, but this was by far the most difficult injury for me to recover from. Granted mine was pretty jacked and required another surgery, but I was on crutches almost 8-months. The good news is that I was skiing again only ~1-month after I started walking again.

Crass3000
01-02-2008, 08:09 PM
I would get a second opinion on your rehab, etc. I was told to put no weight on the leg until the tibia starts to heal. They told me that the tibia would not heal if weight was put on it. Unfortunately that's the exact opposite advice if you want to heal the fibula. From what I was told the muscles pull the fibula back into place and it heals on its own. My fibula break was a little different since I broke it in two places.

I had my break about this time last year. My fibula didn't really show any signs of healing until October (almost 8 months later) but I could put tons of weight on it doing things like pushing around heavy wheelbarrows, etc.

I would hold off on putting any weight on your leg for quite some time. Maybe start another thread asking Dr. Mark for his advice. I assume that he will tell you to stay off your leg for at least a month and a half.

As the poster above mentioned I also have a big calcium deposit where the tib healed that is pretty painful when I ski choppy snow cause it continually bangs against the boot. I actually need to make another appointment with the sergeon to confirm that the fibula breaks are healing well. When I was in Utah lately I felt like I needed to take it easy even a year later.