PDA

View Full Version : What base/edge bevel for pow skis?

wrinkledpants
11-10-2006, 09:25 AM
I have a .5 base bevel and a 2 and 3 degree edge bevel. Got some 183 gots coming. What should i use on them?

I'm tuning my friends snowboard as well. What should i use on hers? Shes an intermediate and sticks to groomers only.

Below Zero
11-10-2006, 09:39 AM
Wrong forum. Here is the correct one (http://forums.epicski.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)

altasnob
11-14-2006, 08:43 PM
I just run them 90/90. Maybe a 1 base, 1 side would be allright, but any more of a side and you'd be catching. Heavy side bevel is for racers skiing ice. Besides, if you're really skiing powder with them, you'll hit enough rocks that your edge bevel aint gonna matter.

mountain_man
11-15-2006, 01:02 AM
yeah i like 1deg on the base and a semi agressive side beval like 88deg but thats on my allmountain planks, but if its a pure pow board then you could easily get away with 2deg. I find that on windbluff and some crust a angle like 2deg doesn't hook as much as a 1deg. i'd go 1.5 or 2.

YetiMan
11-15-2006, 01:27 AM
I run 1.5 base and 90 edge. I know it's weird but I've come to really like that slidey feel. I find that there's still enough to edge on hardpack with those specs and the tune lasts a really long time.

Summit
11-15-2006, 08:09 AM
you still have edges? spend more time in the park, braaah

jfk
11-15-2006, 02:39 PM
i'm too lazy to do base bevels, so i have 0 base, 89 side bevel.
works fine for me.

bubba-k
11-16-2006, 12:24 AM
It's powder... who needs edges?

Voltron
11-16-2006, 12:35 AM
I forget who, but some uber gnar rockstar said in a article somewhere that he didn't like new skis until the edges were "broken in."

SuperGaper
11-16-2006, 11:29 AM
imho everybody who thinks they have no base bevel have a 1 degree. Not even world cup GS racers have less than .5. If conditions are firm (like chalkey stepped up steep stuff you will definately feel the lack of base bevel. I would characterize that as grabby or scary.
Most of my wider skis I have 1 degree under foot and 1.5 in the tips and tails.
2 degree side on everything. .7 base for my groomer ski.

ChowdahRidah
11-16-2006, 08:34 PM
When I used to race, I tinkered with different degrees of bevel. I lived and raced in NE so we're talking vertical ice rinks for race courses. 90 degrees is the best and detune the tips and tails. Most shops bevel edges now because most skiers and boarders prefer to "slip into the turn". So the skis slide a little before the edge catches. Intermediates love this. Racers messed mith bevels a lot in the early 90s and all ended up back at 90 degrees, when you think about it's the sharpest and strongest edge. I don't know if this has changed with the new ski technology. But growing up with razor sharp edges I'm not changing now. Just detune the tips and tails and they're not even "catchy" in powder, wind blown or crud.

Corky
11-16-2006, 08:48 PM
I always love skis with the factory tune...but then, regardless of ski width, every tune after that always feels loosey goosey...I always do a 1 deg base so maybe I need to knock that down to 0.7 or something :confused:

ChowdahRidah
11-16-2006, 08:50 PM
I think they're 90 out of the factory, then the shop fucks it up. If you ask em' to tune em' at 90 they will.

Shepherd Wong
11-16-2006, 09:01 PM
I'm weird but I don't use any base bevel on my skis or snowboard. It also takes a really really sketchy ski/board for me even detune them. But if the board is catchy, the base bevel and detuning numbers seem to work just like on a ski.

Tuckerman
11-17-2006, 10:31 AM
Here you go man Doug Coombs - The Quick and Painless Ski Tune (http://www.thesnaz.com/2006/02/20/doug-coombs-the-quick-and-painless-ski-tune/)

SuperGaper
11-17-2006, 11:58 AM
The only skis that come 90 (0/0) from the factory are race room skis, because the tech then shapes them accordingly. The wider race room skis like the Stockli and the LP would be impossible to ski at 90 (no base bevel). I know of 2 dynastar pros who ski theirs at 2/2.

gwat
11-18-2006, 04:31 PM
I think they're 90 out of the factory
You think wrong.

90 degrees, when you think about it's the sharpest and strongest edge.
You're batting 0 for 2 buddy. The smaller the angle, the sharper the edge. The bigger the angle, the 'stronger' the edge. 90 is a happy medium, but is neither the sharpest or 'strongest'.

Wrinkledpants, just grab your file, slide it along the ski a few times and GO RIDE!

Deep Days
02-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Is there a thread on here with a semi-definitive guide to different edge angles for different types of terrain? I can understand having a smaller side angle for powder, which would make it less grabby, but I don't know much about groomers vs. bumps vs. steep chutes vs. whatever. Trying to decide what to do with my AT set up, my SL set up, and my GS set up.

Searching for "edge bevel" doesn't turn up anything too promising in the time I have spent searching.

Edit: I'm an idiot. What does a "90 degree edge" mean? That the side is the same as the base? It seems like one edge would have to be vertical and he other horizontal to make a 90 degree edge (and if so, where would the base edge meet the sidewall if it didn't reinsert at an angle?), and none of my skis feel like that.

HitMe
02-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Here you go man Doug Coombs - The Quick and Painless Ski Tune (http://www.thesnaz.com/2006/02/20/doug-coombs-the-quick-and-painless-ski-tune/)

Thats how I do 80% of my tuneups. Just the file right in my hand. If you just control what bevel you have once in a while, the hand method is surprisingly exact.

mrw
02-12-2007, 01:01 PM
great link. :yourock:

grskier
02-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Quick note on this subject....

http://www.volkl.com/ski/faqs.html

What are the "factory specs" for Völkl Skis?
The factory specs of all adult Völkl models are the same. We finish the skis with a 2° side edge bevel and a 1° bevel on the base edge.
There is one exception to this rule for 2006/07: The Racetiger GS Race Stock in sizes 180 cm and longer leaves the factory with no bevels. Please note that these skis need to be prepared before use.
Unless the base edge is severely damaged, do not base file the ski until it has been freshly stone ground. Doing so will only increase the base bevel and you will sacrifice performance. Base bevels should be set using standard flat filing technique. After finishing the base edge, the side edge should be tuned using a 2° file guide.

strawjack
02-12-2007, 02:04 PM
i'm too lazy to do base bevels, so i have 0 base, 89 side bevel.
works fine for me.

huh? flat skis (including the edge) are almost impossible to ski and certainly not fun imo. its also really hard to make your edges flat...takes a lot of work.

HitMe
02-12-2007, 03:39 PM
An interesting thought here is that when skis are getting less camber or even negative camber, it becomes less critical with (base) bevel edges. A ski with no camber will not catch an edge as easily and once on edge, the flat edge will of course no hurt. I also believe the wider the ski is, the less critical bevelling is since on a wide ski, you are pretty much doing "bigger moves" in your turns to get the skis on edge.

jibco
02-12-2007, 03:59 PM
huh? flat skis (including the edge) are almost impossible to ski and certainly not fun imo. its also really hard to make your edges flat...takes a lot of work.

I'm pretty sure jfk meant that he does nothing to base edge when doing a quick tune. Run what you brung. I use the same method. Debur the base edge and then run 1 or 2 degrees up the side. Like the great DC said, it may suck, but it works. :)

Damian Sanders
02-12-2007, 04:15 PM
I run 1.5 base, 2.0 side, on all my skis these days.

1.5 on the base seems to be enough to allow siding and pivoting, but is still enough edge when you need it. The side bevel is less noticeable, I just use 2 because it keeps the overall angle greater than 90, without being overly agressive.

Don't use a 0 degree base bevel, your skis will be difficult and grabby to the point of being nearly impossible to ski on, especially if you're on stiffer boots and bindings.