PDA

View Full Version : 1970's Alta Skiers/Employees RE: Yukio Endo RIP

mmmthmtskier
08-22-2006, 12:15 PM
I don't have much knowledge about any Alta forums on the 'net so that is why I'm posting here. If there are any, please PM me with a link. Thanks for your help. Just a note to all interested Alta Skiers/Employees: My cousin Don Yukio Endo passed away suddenly on Aug. 20th in NH. Yukio was a long-time passholder at Alta since the 1970's. He would often talk about the good times spent with fellow skiers and employees at Alta. He introduced me to Alta in the 80's and when we walked through the lodge or had a meal there, it was inevitable that several conversations would ensue with others. When I casually mentioned to employees at Alta I was Yukio's cousin, a nice smile, an outstretched hand, and an introduction was almost immediate. I had a much better understanding of why Yukio was so passionate about skiing in the 70's and, especially, skiing at Alta. He would describe the family atmosphere and the deep powder at Alta. His smiling face and raccoon-eyes tan would bear evidence to those great times. I was a non-skier at during that time and Yukio would make several visits each year from the EC to visit his family and ours in SoCal. It also gave him a good excuse to make a trip to Alta. He is survived by his mother and daughter.

IAMHYDROGEN
08-22-2006, 12:44 PM
I don't have much knowledge about any Alta forums on the 'net so that is why I'm posting here. If there are any, please PM me with a link. Thanks for your help. Just a note to all interested Alta Skiers/Employees: My cousin Don Yukio Endo passed away suddenly on Aug. 20th in NH. Yukio was a long-time passholder at Alta since the 1970's. He would often talk about the good times spent with fellow skiers and employees at Alta. He introduced me to Alta in the 80's and when we walked through the lodge or had a meal there, it was inevitable that several conversations would ensue with others. When I casually mentioned to employees at Alta I was Yukio's cousin, a nice smile, an outstretched hand, and an introduction was almost immediate. I had a much better understanding of why Yukio was so passionate about skiing in the 70's and, especially, skiing at Alta. He would describe the family atmosphere and the deep powder at Alta. His smiling face and raccoon-eyes tan would bear evidence to those great times. I was a non-skier at during that time and Yukio would make several visits each year from the EC to visit his family and ours in SoCal. It also gave him a good excuse to make a trip to Alta. He is survived by his mother and 18 year old daughter.

I am sorry to hear of your loss...It seems that Alta has been losing some of it's hero's. I am not familiar with whom you speak, but I used to work at the lodge and I still reside and work in Alta. I know alot of "leftovers":) from the time he was around. I am sure if I bring the name up in the right circles i will get someone who knows him. We have lost a few this year in our little town, and it seems to have a ripple effect on the community. I will for sure take some turns for him, and spread the word to those who should know.