PDA

View Full Version : Softening boots: Tecnica Diablo 130

El Chupacabra
03-21-2006, 11:11 AM
I have Tecnica Diablo 130 boots, now with Intuition liners, that now feel too stiff. The liners stiffened up the flex of the boot -- which is the opposite of what I expected, but whatever.

These are what I have: (exact same as natty's boots shown in this thread, mine also have booster straps):
http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42078

I want to try softening the flex of the boot shell to see if that puts the flex back more like it was with the stock liner, which was more to my liking.

The rear of the boot has 2 bolts affixing the cuff to the lower shell. Removing these 2 bolts should soften the flex, since it detaches the cuff from the lower shell -- right? Any reason to remove only 1 bolt (and if so, which one)? Doesn't seem like removing only 1 bolt would do anything though.

wildstyle
03-21-2006, 11:17 AM
http://www.tecnicausa.com/skiing/rp_flex_adjustment.html

The flex on the Diablo Race Pro can be adjusted by removing either 1 or 2 of the rivets found on the back spine. Remove the top rivet first (making sure to remove the internal nut). If additional flex is needed, remove the lower rivet as well. Plastic caps to cover the holes are available. If further flex is needed, there are cut lines in the internal lower shell.
NOTE: Make progressive cuts until desired flex is reached. Once cut, the boot cannot be restiffened.

El Chupacabra
03-21-2006, 11:24 AM
Thanks wildstyle -- just found that myself.

Thread on Epic discussing softening this boot too:
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=29141&

So I'll try Tecnica's recommendation of removing the top bolt first, and see if that's enough; if not, then try the lower bolt too. If that's not enough (or too much), then try notching the inner shell.

wildstyle
03-21-2006, 11:33 AM
I'd be surprised if you have to notch the shell. You'll probably drop them down to at least 110 when both bolts are removed.

I'd try and avoid notching as much as possible as it could lead to more and more flex over time due to the shell weakening it causes.

El Chupacabra
03-21-2006, 11:48 AM
I'm going to try the bolts first, since it's reversible if I don't like the modification.

I tried on the softer Tecnica Diablos (two versions, both with more adjustments and the hinged door upper cuff), and both were way too soft. I could fold the boot shell over like a hiking boot. Granted, this was in a warm shop, and they should stiffen some when it's cold, but that was just silly putty soft.

The Diablo 130 flex feels about right to me with the stock liner, could maybe be a tiny bit softer. With the intuition liners, though, they feel like they increased significantly in stiffness.

CantDog
03-21-2006, 12:07 PM
Someone didnt read the little instruction manual that came with the boots.... :p

I picked up the same pair from trainnvain, and they are f-ing amazing. I went from a soft boot that was a size too big, to a stiff boot that actually fits, and the difference is incredible. Best purchase for skiing I've ever made. With booster straps the combo is killer.

What size boot are you? Im curious about these liners...

El Chupacabra
03-21-2006, 12:16 PM
Someone didnt read the little instruction manual that came with the boots.... :p

I picked up the same pair from trainnvain, and they are f-ing amazing. I went from a soft boot that was a size too big, to a stiff boot that actually fits, and the difference is incredible. Best purchase for skiing I've ever made. With booster straps the combo is killer.

What size boot are you? Im curious about these liners...

I bought mine used, no instruction manual.

Mine are 319mm shell -- not sure what that translates into for Tecnica mondo or shoe sizing. 27.5ish?

runethechamp
03-21-2006, 01:41 PM
I bought mine used, no instruction manual.

Mine are 319mm shell -- not sure what that translates into for Tecnica mondo or shoe sizing. 27.5ish?
My 27.5s are 312 mm shell

lph
03-21-2006, 03:01 PM
i found the intuition liners took up way too much space in my diablo race 110's. In fact, I couldn't even buckle the boot once I had them in there. I guess this means i bought the right size shell size.

i may try the comformable liner once the stock liner is toast.

the intuition (which i love the feel of) are going in my Adrenalins.

yooper
03-21-2006, 05:11 PM
i found the intuition liners took up way too much space in my diablo race 110's. In fact, I couldn't even buckle the boot once I had them in there. I guess this means i bought the right size shell size.

i may try the comformable liner once the stock liner is toast.

the intuition (which i love the feel of) are going in my Adrenalins.

You might have to go to the next smaller size liner, then pull up on it while molding so it is tall enough.

I have the same setup. Race Pro 130's with intuitions.

319 is probably 28.5

El Chupacabra
03-21-2006, 05:25 PM
I have the same setup. Race Pro 130's with intuitions.

319 is probably 28.5

Funny. I went "down" in size from a 325mm (28.5) Salomon, which was too big in the heel pocket, to the 319mm Tecnica, which is a 1-1.5 finger shell fit on my foot. My Tecnica stock liners are marked "9-9.5" or something similar, so I guessed they were 27.5 shells. Whatever they are, the shell fit works for me; just need to get the liner broken in & flex adjusted.

yooper
03-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Yeah, mine are marked 8 1/2.... I don't really know what that refers to. U.K. sizing or something? I wear a 10 1/2 street shoe and my foot measures exactly 27.5cm. I'm not at all jammed into my boots. Just right.

Goes to show you can't really go by the number marked on the boot.