PDA

View Full Version : Utah Beer Myths

Ski Monkey
03-01-2006, 12:13 PM
Saw this in the sl trib today. Thought it was intersting considering how much utah beer gets talked about here(in the ski/snowboard forum).

http://www.sltrib.com/food/ci_3556620

Busting Utah's Beer Myths
By Kathy Stephenson
The Salt Lake Tribune

Matt Beamer, Jennifer Talley, Chris Haas and the state's dozen other brew masters work hard to make great brews that are busting Utah's beer myths.
But liquor lore is heavy here and many customers just won't shed their age-old thinking.
Take, for instance, the number 3.2, which refers to the percent of alcohol - by weight - contained in beer. Under state law, "three-two" beer is all that can be sold in grocery stores or on draft at bars and microbreweries. But Planet Utah is like no other in the universe.
Producers from everywhere else - from California to New York and Belgium to Germany - measure the percent of alcohol in beer by volume. Brewers say it is a significant mathematical difference that is lost on the everyday beer drinker.
"It's apples and oranges," says Beamer, the brew master at Wasatch Brew Pub in Park City.
When measured like the rest of the world, Utah's beer has 4 percent alcohol by volume. And while that is the lowest level in the nation, it is not far behind the national average of mainstream beers, which are about 5 percent.
That means all those youthful drives to Wyoming for "better beer" were probably a waste of time and gas.
"You'd have to drink a lot of beer to notice a 1 percent alcohol difference," said Haas, the brew master at Salt Lake City's Desert Edge Brewery in Trolley Square.

More lore: That brings up Utah Beer Myth No. 2: The point in brewing beer is to have as much alcohol as possible. In reality, beer is not brewed to be as alcoholic as possible - in Utah or anywhere else in the world. Beer is brewed to match a specific style or taste. Each style has a general color, flavor, bitterness and alcohol level.
A German-style pilsener, for example, generally has a light straw or golden color, a moderate flavor and aroma and an alcohol-by-volume level that ranges between 4 and 5 percent. An imperial stout has a dark copper, almost black color, a rich malt flavor and 7 to 12 percent alcohol by volume.
The list goes on since there are dozens of beer styles around the world. The Great American Beer Festival, the Oscars of the beer-making world, has nearly 70 beer-style categories, according to the Brewers Association, which sponsors the annual event.
That means lower-alcohol beers made at Utah's microbreweries - pale ales, English-style browns and bitters - are comparable to those made outside the state.
Many people assume that popular beers, such as Guinness, a dark Irish stout and Corona, a beer from Mexico, have a higher alcohol content everywhere except Utah. But in reality those beers are 4 percent by volume (or 3.2 by weight) all over the country.
Large manufacturers like Budweiser and Coors make their beers fit all the different alcohol rules simply by adding filtered water, according to experts.
Of course, like any craftsperson, Utah brew masters would love to have a full spectrum of beers in their arsenal like a bock (6 to 7 percent alcohol) or a barley wine (8 to 12 percent).
"There are some styles that I'd love to do but will never be able to do unless there's some sort of revelation that happens on the [state Alcohol Beverage Control] commission," said Beamer. "It's happened. I'm not crossing my fingers, but it's happened before."
However, Utah brewers with the ability to bottle their beverages are producing beer with higher alcohol content. Squatters Pub Brewery in Salt Lake City makes an India Pale Ale that is 6 percent alcohol by volume, while Uinta Brewing Company makes a barley wine that is almost 10 percent alcohol. The beers are sold in Utah only at state liquor stores.
Karl Menzer worked as a brew master in Louisiana before coming to Tracks Brewing Co. in Tooele. He said it hasn't been that difficult to adapt to Utah laws.
"There are styles you can't make here, so I concentrate on the summer beers and fall beers instead of the traditional 5 1/2 to 6 percent I made before," he said. "But they are great beers nonetheless."

Smarter brewing: Menzer and other brew masters say working under Utah alcohol limitations has made them better brewers. With a higher alcohol brew, they say, the easier it is to hide any imperfections in the beer.
"That's the beauty of 3.2 beer," said Talley, the brewer master at Squatters Brew Pub. "Everything the brewer puts into a beer is right on the palate. You can't hide behind it."
Because of that, Utah brewers are forced to work smarter than some of their counterparts in other states, paying careful attention to the marriage between their hops and barley, said Talley.
That careful attention has paid off in numerous gold, silver and bronze medals for Utah's microbreweries at the Great American Beer Festival as well as the World Beer Cup.
Sales figures say customers like what they are being served as well. Talley said beer sales at Squatters brew pub grew 11 percent over the last year.
And last year, the Uinta Brewing Co. sold more than 15,000 barrels of beer, moving it out of the smaller "microbrewery" category and into the group known as regional specialty brewers, said Steven Kuftinec, the director of sales and operations.
Utah is following the national trend. In 2005, America's craft brewers sold 9 percent more barrels of beer than the year before.
That made microbrewed beers the fastest growing segment of the U.S. alcohol beverage industry for the second year in a row, according to the Brewers Association.
"Small brewers lead the entire industry by offering flavorful, interesting beers," said Ray Daniels, the associations director of craft beer marketing.
And Utah has some of the best, says Spencer Alston, co-owner of The Bayou private club in Salt Lake City. "We outperform other states on a regular basis."

Photo: These three Utah-brewed beers contain alcohol amounts that are comparable to beers made outside the state. But, because they contain more than 4 percent alchohol, they must be sold in state liquor stores.; Wasatch pale ale: 5 percent alcohol; Uinta barley wine: 10.4 percent alcohol; Squatter's pale ale: 6 percent alcohol (Chris Detrick/The Salt Lake Tribune)

Red Baron
03-01-2006, 12:18 PM
While that is one of the best Utah beer articles written in a while, it leaves out one key fact.

PRICES!

A sixer of "real" beer at the liquor store can pretty easily be north of $10, when the same thing would sell for $6-$7 somewhere else. The 50% DABC markup kills the "don't drive to Wyoming" argument pretty easily...

FartBag Commando
03-01-2006, 12:34 PM
So how far is the trip to Wyoming? How long does it take and where do you go? :biggrin:

BRUTAH
03-01-2006, 12:49 PM
It takes about 45-60 minutes driving from salt lake to evanston.

Another argument against the wyoming drive is
KEG BEER
can't get it in utah and it's hard to throw a proper party without it.

MacDaddy
03-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Oh sweet Jeebus here we go again! ;)

but you know I like it!

Fuck that wyoming argument! I'll take a real BudCoors/ BudCoors light over a the UT basterdized product any freaking day. and If you say I cant tell the difference, I will prove you wrong every time.

Yep the current price for mediocre Sam Adams per bottle at the Church run store is $1.80 a 12 oz bottle :cussing:

here is a price list for Pale ales in 12oz btls....biatches!! Fuck the UDABC

989000 355 ANGLERS PALE ALE 355ml 1.55 1
910101 355 AVBC HOP OTTIN'IPA 355ml 1.60 L
912154 355 AVBC POLEEKO PALE ALE 355ml 1.60 L
989115 355 BASS ALE ENGLAND 355ml 2.25 1
989171 355 BOULDER PASS TIME PALE ALE 355ml 1.25 1
914590 355 FIRESTONE PALE ALE 355ml 1.45 L

989086 355 MENDOCINO RED TAIL ALE 355 ml 1.90 1
989035 355 MOLSON CANADIAN 355 ml 1.40 1
989005 355 MOLSON GOLDEN 355 ml 1.40 1
989052 355 PETE'S WICKED ALE 355ml 1.65 1
989034 355 PYRAMID INDIA PALE ALE 355ml 1.45 1
912817 355 S SMITH INDIA PALE ALE 355ml 2.65 L
989147 355 SAMUEL ADAMS BOSTON ALE 355ml 1.80 1
989048 355 SAMUEL ADAMS PALE ALE 355ml 1.80 1
989206 355 SIERRA NEVADA PALE ALE 355ml 1.25 L
989033 355 SQUATTERS INDIA PALE ALE 355ml 1.50 1
989426 355 WASATCH SPEC RES PALE ALE 355ml 1.50 1
910098 375 COOPERS SPARKLING ALE 375ml 1.60 L
989784 441 BODDINGTONS PUB ALE DRAUGHT 441ml 2.40 1
910611 500 PINKUS MUNSTER ALT 500ml 2.95 L

Mr. Altagirl
03-01-2006, 01:07 PM
I've got two friends driving out from Colorado today to ski for a few days. One of them calls me yesterday:
Friend: "You can't buy beer in Utah right?" (serious question, not kidding)
Me: "No, prohibition is still in effect since the 1920's."
F: "Cool, I'll stop at the grocery store, what do you want me to buy?"
Me: " As much PBR as your car can haul."
F: "Got it, see you tommorow with a 3-4 cases of PBR." (from the grocery store):rolleyes2

I don't care where you live, free beer is the best beer. :D
(the only thing truly different about "Utah" beer is the price, they full on rape you at the state stores)

MacDaddy
03-01-2006, 01:13 PM
I've got two friends driving out from Colorado today to ski for a few days. One of them calls me yesterday:
Friend: "You can't buy beer in Utah right?" (serious question, not kidding)
Me: "No, prohibition is still in effect since the 1920's."
F: "Cool, I'll stop at the grocery store, what do you want me to buy?"
Me: " As much PBR as your car can haul."
F: "Got it, see you tommorow with a 3-4 cases of PBR." (from the grocery store):rolleyes2

I don't care where you live, free beer is the best beer. :D
(the only thing truly different about "Utah" beer is the price, they full on rape you at the state stores)

I hope he wasnt really buying it at the grocery store! :o
CO has the same shitty 3.2 in grocery stores, hopefully they know that and went to Applejacks or a liqour store (applejacks is a super liqour store ;))

The AD
03-01-2006, 01:14 PM
But Planet Utah is like no other in the universe.
Producers from everywhere else - from California to New York and Belgium to Germany - measure the percent of alcohol in beer by volume.

This statement isn't really true. Historically, alcohol pct. in beer has been measured by weight (ABW) in the U.S. and elsewhere by volume (ABV). I think micros have tended to use ABV so this trend has changed some recently.

It's been suggested this is where the "Canadian beer is stronger than American beer" legend came from. Canadian brewers specified ABV which is always higher than ABW because the specific gravity of alcohol is less than water.

Cyber Cop
03-01-2006, 01:16 PM
CO has the same shitty 3.2 in grocery stores, hopefully they know that and went to Applejacks or a liqour store (applejacks is a super liqour store ;))

Now that would be classic.:D

72Twenty
03-01-2006, 01:18 PM
http://www.i-hi.com/charlie/welc-wyoming.jpg

:)

http://www.thepersonalformulator.com/images/evanston/DSCN1906.2clean,jpg.jpg

It's ok, you can still come spend your money in my state. ;)

Egon
03-01-2006, 01:59 PM
It's ok, you can still come spend your money in my state. ;)

I was caught on the last trip to Evanston. Hefty fine and keg confiscation.
Fuck Utah highway patrol.
Fuck state liquor stores. and fuck that bitch who works the summit court office.

Hutch
03-01-2006, 02:17 PM
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?p=633245#post633245
Egon, what happened? Didn't yer peeps watch out for undercover cops?

freshie247
03-01-2006, 02:22 PM
I though any barley brew over 7 % was classified as "Malt Liquor" ,& anythng over 11% was considered "Barley Wine" .

Cyber Cop
03-01-2006, 02:29 PM
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?p=633245#post633245
Egon, what happened? Didn't yer peeps watch out for undercover cops?

Undercover keg cops? You have to be fucking kidding. Obviously the mormons deserve all those years of persecution. How many states were they run out of before they found utah?

Dantheman
03-01-2006, 02:51 PM
Fuck state liquor stores. and fuck that bitch who works the summit court office.
How'd you get caught? Because if you were speeding and/or had the keg sticking up out of the bed of the truck you kinda deserved it ;)

daPig
03-01-2006, 02:57 PM
Brewers can rationalize all they want but the beer situation here is bleak.

Hows the beer selection at the stores in Evanston? Can I get Deschutes, Fat Tire, Avery, Red Nectar, etc.? Maybe its time for a road trip.

SkiingBear
03-01-2006, 03:01 PM
The only reason you can't get New Belgium beers in Utah is because the liquor stores here don't refrigerate the beer. That's the word I got straight from the NB brewery.

That said, I don't really bother with buying beer at the sliquor stores here. Since none of the beer is refrigerated, most of it is spoiled. And with 4% available at the grocery store...fuck it, I'll just drink that.

zion zig zag
03-01-2006, 03:12 PM
I'm checking into rehab if I ever drive more than 4 blocks for beer.

Hunterski
03-01-2006, 03:17 PM

I don't drink, but you took the words right out of my mouth flykdog.

rideit
03-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Shit, I fly to Peru a few times a year just for the Pisco sours...amateurs.

Ski Monkey
03-01-2006, 03:25 PM

Tell me about it, they don't even give breaks to quantity ordering for clubs. Fuckers.

criscam
03-01-2006, 03:31 PM
While that is one of the best Utah beer articles written in a while, it leaves out one key fact.

PRICES!

A sixer of "real" beer at the liquor store can pretty easily be north of $10, when the same thing would sell for $6-$7 somewhere else. The 50% DABC markup kills the "don't drive to Wyoming" argument pretty easily...

Agreed RB.
However the Uinta Barleywine is almost worth it.
Since my ski season came to an abrupt end in january i have started brewing my own brew to kill some weekend couch time. First batch ready to drink this wknd-pale ale (not expecting too much) and will probably start a second (ipa?). Any utah maggs in the ogden area feel free to drop by and grab a sixer or two. (one batch brews over 60 beers so i might need some help drinking. then again...)

Egon
03-01-2006, 03:41 PM
How'd you get caught? Because if you were speeding and/or had the keg sticking up out of the bed of the truck you kinda deserved it ;)

Wasn't speeding, keg was nice and comfy in a big duffle bag. On the way back UHP pulled me over because they said they didn't have insurance on record for my car. Showed them proof of insurance.
Then they ask me why I was in Evanston and said I had lunch with some friends running errands(truth). They don't believe me. Then they asked about open containers and if I had been drinking (it's 2 in the afternoon for fucksake). Nope. Then they ask me to step out of the car so they can check. Meantime they start asking my friend all the same questions running our stories against each other trying to catch us in the middle of a lie. At this point I know they know whats in the duffle bag.
Finally they want to know whats in the large duffle bag. I tell them it's just what I'm transporting. They take the bag off. Keg entered into 'evidence'. Tap also entered into evidence. I'm charged with possesion of container over 2L, and unlawful importation.

At the time I was almost laughing at them. They were young (seemed to be fresh out of cop school), and it was funny how proud of themselves they were on the bust. They were the type of fucktards who couldn't make it through college so they became cops.
Well they sure outsmarted me. I'm not sure how they knew I bought a keg. I spent all afternoon eating lunch and running some errands around evanston. Bought the keg from an old lady with no one else in the store or parking lot.

It's funny that I get punished for keg possesion, yet most days I can't even walk to campus without some methhead asking me for spare change. Oh and fuck shurtleff too.

MacDaddy
03-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Wasn't speeding, keg was nice and comfy in a big duffle bag. On the way back UHP pulled me over because they said they didn't have insurance on record for my car. . Oh and fuck shurtleff too.

This sounds very shitty to me.
Is not having insurance "on record" a primary law, that they can just pull you over? Does any one know? Does this justify or manifest probable cause?

I take it you didnt fight it? You paid a fine on top of losing $70 in keg beer and $50. 00 deposit? brutal!

Dantheman
03-01-2006, 03:57 PM
Seriously, that's pretty damn weak. Aside from the fact that I think "we didn't have your insurance on record" is total bullshit, they had absolutely no legal authority to keep you pulled over once you showed them POI. As soon as you showed it to them your response should have been [extremely polite tone] "Now that we have that cleared up can I be on my way now officer? I'm going to be late for a class. [/extremely polite tone]

Maybe you just need to find a nice little old lady who will do your keg shopping for you, preferably one with glaucoma so you can just kick her a nug for her troubles :D

Egon
03-01-2006, 04:18 PM
I take it you didnt fight it? You paid a fine on top of losing $70 in keg beer and $50. 00 deposit? brutal!
Paid fines. Still had to send proof of insurance to DMV.

daPig- Evanston has just about everything.

Cyber Cop
03-01-2006, 04:21 PM
Wasn't speeding, keg was nice and comfy in a big duffle bag.

Sounds like you were the victim of an illegal search. I had a very similar thing happen when i was young where they found about a joints worth of pot. I hired a lawyer and got the evidence supressed due to an illegal search. My lawyer was good thankfully cause those motherfuckers outright lied on the stand. I loved watching them squirm and give me dirty looks as there were getting grilled on the stand. It was so fucking obvious to the judge and everyone else that they were full of shit, but those assholes stuck to their story man.:cussing:

72Twenty
03-01-2006, 04:24 PM
I gotta buncha extra Wyoming license plates if you want 'em! :D

But seriously, that is way lame. Sorry it had to turn out that way.

Oh, and Evanston also has a fairly large "adult bookstore" too. Just fyi.

72Twenty
03-01-2006, 04:26 PM
Related question, how much can you transport in to Utah if it is for "personal consumption"? Like, if I were to bring in my own beer when I'm heading to the Wyoming/BYU game. Getting it into Cougar Stadium is a different story.

But serously, what do they allow?

Danno
03-01-2006, 04:28 PM
that article and those brewers can say it till the cows come home, but it won't make their beer taste any better. I went to the Desert Edge Brewery maybe 2 years ago, ordered the sampler. Out of 8 beers, only 2 or 3 tasted decent and were representative of their styles. The rest tasted like ass masquerading as beer...

Dantheman
03-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Related question, how much can you transport in to Utah if it is for "personal consumption"? Like, if I were to bring in my own beer when I'm heading to the Wyoming/BYU game. Getting it into Cougar Stadium is a different story.

As far as I know, bringing in any amount from out-of-state is illegal.

Cyber Cop
Just curious, with this type of prohibition in utah do you guys have a serious mofia underworld in operation? Where is the ghost of Al Capone when you need him?

Danno
Sounds like you were the victim of an illegal search.
I agree, it definitely sounds like an illegal search

Cyber Cop
03-01-2006, 04:31 PM

Shit dude, everytime I go to moab or powell I bring 2-3 6packs and usually some liquor. I do leave the green home though, I hear they take that shit pretty seriously.

72Twenty
03-01-2006, 04:32 PM
I agree, it definitely sounds like an illegal search

Is it worth fighting?

I think I have seen a Utard Cop on that stretch of I-80 only once or twice (like once in Echo and once outside of PC) in all the times I've gone through there. Where to they camp out? Maybe I just don't notice them....

Mr. Altagirl
03-01-2006, 04:33 PM

Nope, they went to the grocery store, that's what is so funny. I'll still drink it, even though it from Colorado. :the_finge

Red Baron
03-01-2006, 04:34 PM
I always wondered if you could say you were driving to Idaho/Nevada/Arizona if asked about beer in your car. I only believe it's illegal to bring it over the border if the final destination is in Utah, right?

Edit: found the law regarding this:

32A-12-505. Lawful transportation.
Nothing contained in Section 32A-12-504 prohibits any carrier from:
(1) transporting alcoholic products in the course of export from the state; or
(2) transporting alcoholic products across any part of this state while in transit pursuant to a bona fide consignment of the alcoholic products to a person outside of this state.

72Twenty
03-01-2006, 04:43 PM
In Wyoming it is still legal for your passangers (21 & up) to have open containers, just as long and the driver doesn't. ;)

higheddies
03-01-2006, 04:44 PM
I dont like to taste the church in my beer, thats why I got to WY......and all the beer u beer in the L store is shunked cuz its supposed to be kept cold but they keep it warm....stupid fucking mo mo's.....i hate them and their stupid uptight attitudes, queer haircuts, and awkward interactions....:FIREdevil

Cyber Cop
03-01-2006, 04:45 PM
In Wyoming it is still legal for your passangers (21 & up) to have open containers, just as long and the driver doesn't. ;)

sweet! As long as their wearing seatbelts.

72Twenty
03-01-2006, 04:47 PM
sweet! As long as their wearing seatbelts.

Well, yes, obviously.

Trackhead
03-01-2006, 05:07 PM

I drove 5 blocks in Jackson last week for a good bottle of Scotch. Where's the nearest rehab center in Sandy, Ut?

Seriously though, I don't need the state to protect me from myself, but these constant Utah Law threads are amusing to read. Especially the comments from the folks living out of state.

Utah does indeed suck. It rained at 9,000ft yesterday. Stay the fuck out! Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Oregon, Washington, and California are way better. You can't get drunk here, and you can't legally grow herb. So don't even consider moving here. What would you ever do if you couldn't get properly shit faced on a regular basis.

Cyber Cop
03-01-2006, 05:10 PM
What would you ever do if you couldn't get properly shit faced on a regular basis.

Fuck, I dunno? I guess I'd do rehab.:frown:

stump832
03-01-2006, 05:13 PM
What would you ever do if you couldn't get properly shit faced on a regular basis.

I'd get improperly shitfaced and gripe about it on the interweb.

Daddygoupgondi?
03-01-2006, 05:35 PM
All my friends in utah ask for when i go there is reel fucking colorado beer.

zion zig zag
03-01-2006, 05:46 PM
All my friends in utah ask for when i go there is reel fucking colorado beer.

^^^^^^and this is why no matter how many times the myth is busted, it ain't going away.

And Trackhead, i said beer. For scotch you can drive as far as it takes;)

Danno
03-01-2006, 07:15 PM
Is it worth fighting?

I think I have seen a Utard Cop on that stretch of I-80 only once or twice (like once in Echo and once outside of PC) in all the times I've gone through there. Where to they camp out? Maybe I just don't notice them....
worth fighting? depends how much the ticket is and how much you're willing to pay a lawyer.

Danno
03-01-2006, 07:16 PM
I always wondered if you could say you were driving to Idaho/Nevada/Arizona if asked about beer in your car. I only believe it's illegal to bring it over the border if the final destination is in Utah, right?

Edit: found the law regarding this:

32A-12-505. Lawful transportation.
Nothing contained in Section 32A-12-504 prohibits any carrier from:
(1) transporting alcoholic products in the course of export from the state; or
(2) transporting alcoholic products across any part of this state while in transit pursuant to a bona fide consignment of the alcoholic products to a person outside of this state.
so it sounds like it is legal so long as you are carrying the beer to someone else in another state.

Plus, they use the word "carrier", that may be defined not to include a private individual.

MacDaddy
03-01-2006, 07:46 PM
I still have my CA DL after 15 years of living in CO and UT for that very reason.

If I ever get popped in "my wifes vehicle" (UT plates) I will say that I am passing through going back home to CA! fuck them :the_finge

72Twenty
03-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Heh, check out my new avatar. I just popped a photo in my garage... :fm:

(greatest ski of all time?)

Sorry, back to the thread.

Bud Green
03-01-2006, 08:16 PM
The cheapest beers to buy in UT are:

Sierra Nevada. $7.50 per 6pack.

Full Sail: $7.20 per 6pack.

Lev: $1.85 per bottle (17 oz.)

Spaten: $2.15 per bottle. (17 oz.)

Most states charge tax and have bottle deposits, but in UT, that's included in the listed prices. I challenge anyone to find Sierra Nevada cheaper in WY.

BTW, for alchohol by volume, multiply by .8 and you'll have alchohol by weight. So the Full Sail IPA I'm drinking right now says 6% by volume but it's 4.8% by weight, which is a little more than UT 3.2.

72Twenty
03-01-2006, 08:26 PM
I challenge anyone to find Sierra Nevada cheaper in WY.

It's $5.99 at Northridge Liquors in Laramie, Wyoming. Cold.

Baddabing!

Bud Green
03-01-2006, 08:29 PM
After tax and deposit how much is it?

I mostly stay in Western WY: Jackson and Lander and Evingston. It's cheaper in UT than those places.

There are also some liquor stores in UT that sell cold beer: Coalville and Monticello to name 2.

72Twenty
03-01-2006, 08:32 PM
After tax and deposit how much is it?

I mostly stay in Western WY: Jackson and Lander and Evingston. It's cheaper in UT than those places.

I don't know about tax and deposit. Like, the sign says $5.99 and when they ring it up at the register it comes out to $6 something. I used to buy a pack of smokes or a can of chew too and it always stayed under $10. I could write my congressman for an explination if you'd like. ;)

leroy jenkins
03-01-2006, 10:48 PM

If I ever drive four blocks I'm going to kick my own ass for being a lazy sack of shit.

Well, unless its raining, or I have to carry something, or maybe if I'm just really tired that day... oh who am I kidding, I am a lazy sack of shit.

The AD
03-01-2006, 11:08 PM
Most states charge tax and have bottle deposits, but in UT, that's included in the listed prices. I challenge anyone to find Sierra Nevada cheaper in WY.

Not WY, but I just bought two six-packs of Deschutes beers (Mirror Pond and Quail Springs) at Fred Meyer in Seattle for $5.99 each. With 8.8% sales tax that comes out to $6.52. There's no deposit here. But, you're right, those Utah prices aren't bad for the SN and Full Sail.

KennyG
03-01-2006, 11:43 PM
Couple of things - I always love a good alcohol thread - especially when it involves the law (kind of go together often)

First off it costs you about $10 in gas (if you get ~20mpg) to go to Wyoming.
Throw in 3 hours time at $13.33 an hour and your at $50.

If there is a full 50% mark up it's pretty easy to see how quickly you could make that up. I personally own a kegerator and they can easily last 30 when tapped properly a keg can last rather well for upwards of 45 days and 145+ days if you store it properly. The way I see it you do this:

Drive to WY and get 3-5 kegs - what ever you feel you will drink in 4 months. I will assume WY has about the same Liquor Prices as Indiana and you can get a cheap keg for $55, AB/Miller for $65, import (molson/sam seasonal, Killians etc) $80, Premo Import (Guiness, Corona, New Castle) for $110. Throw in deposit on the barrel and your looking at anywhere from 180 - 500.
Sounds like a lot, but your not going to make this trip for average people - if you really don't care about 3.2 or giving the church so much money - be my guest (even though the math holds out at just one keg)

1 keg is 7.5 cases of beer. that's 30 six packs.

If six packs really are about 10 bucks in UT you are stupid (if you can polish a keg in 45 days - easier than it sounds if you don't live alone) not to go to WY.

Also first off before you do anything involving transport make sure you read your local transport laws and watch the film by the ACLU called 'BUSTED' very helpful in defusing police.

Also something I thought of you could tell the cops. Seing as how it is perfectly legal to transport through the state as long as it's not supposed to be consumed there.... 'XGROUP and I are headed down for a week long camping session in Northern Arizona. The closest place that sold X beer was flagstaff. This is perfectly believeable as long as you aren't talking about drinking budweiser. We thought it would be better to drive an extra 150 miles than an extra 300.' The cop really can't do anything. He's not going to escort you 500+ miles through Utah! Everything else is just variation on a theme.

People pay $50 to shop at Sams Club and get a 6% discount for buying in bulk. Why not pay $50 twice a year to get a 25% discount for doing the same thing? The math does pay out on driving to WY it's rather obvious. Also to the guy who talked about driving more than 4 blocks for a beer being that you needed recovery. If you really enjoy it, you will go to great lengths to get what you want... not just a random substitute. I haven't met too many alcoholics that have said - to hell with this OE 40 I want IPA. It's when I stop caring about my beer that I know I need help.

Also let it be said that I am 22, I am in college, and I do live with 3 other guys - it's not hard to go through a keg, at least for us.

whatcomridaz
03-02-2006, 12:34 AM
That's the problem with America, How the fuck can you be in college and not drinking OE!!!. Your assignment for tonight is Edward 40 hands

Get Busy

Oh yeah I think the real myth is having beer in Utah. Damn Morons

Couple of things - I always love a good alcohol thread - especially when it involves the law (kind of go together often)

First off it costs you about $10 in gas (if you get ~20mpg) to go to Wyoming.
Throw in 3 hours time at $13.33 an hour and your at $50.

If there is a full 50% mark up it's pretty easy to see how quickly you could make that up. I personally own a kegerator and they can easily last 30 when tapped properly a keg can last rather well for upwards of 45 days and 145+ days if you store it properly. The way I see it you do this:

Drive to WY and get 3-5 kegs - what ever you feel you will drink in 4 months. I will assume WY has about the same Liquor Prices as Indiana and you can get a cheap keg for $55, AB/Miller for $65, import (molson/sam seasonal, Killians etc) $80, Premo Import (Guiness, Corona, New Castle) for $110. Throw in deposit on the barrel and your looking at anywhere from 180 - 500.
Sounds like a lot, but your not going to make this trip for average people - if you really don't care about 3.2 or giving the church so much money - be my guest (even though the math holds out at just one keg)

1 keg is 7.5 cases of beer. that's 30 six packs.

If six packs really are about 10 bucks in UT you are stupid (if you can polish a keg in 45 days - easier than it sounds if you don't live alone) not to go to WY.

Also first off before you do anything involving transport make sure you read your local transport laws and watch the film by the ACLU called 'BUSTED' very helpful in defusing police.

Also something I thought of you could tell the cops. Seing as how it is perfectly legal to transport through the state as long as it's not supposed to be consumed there.... 'XGROUP and I are headed down for a week long camping session in Northern Arizona. The closest place that sold X beer was flagstaff. This is perfectly believeable as long as you aren't talking about drinking budweiser. We thought it would be better to drive an extra 150 miles than an extra 300.' The cop really can't do anything. He's not going to escort you 500+ miles through Utah! Everything else is just variation on a theme.

People pay $50 to shop at Sams Club and get a 6% discount for buying in bulk. Why not pay $50 twice a year to get a 25% discount for doing the same thing? The math does pay out on driving to WY it's rather obvious. Also to the guy who talked about driving more than 4 blocks for a beer being that you needed recovery. If you really enjoy it, you will go to great lengths to get what you want... not just a random substitute. I haven't met too many alcoholics that have said - to hell with this OE 40 I want IPA. It's when I stop caring about my beer that I know I need help.

Also let it be said that I am 22, I am in college, and I do live with 3 other guys - it's not hard to go through a keg, at least for us.

mtbakerskier
03-02-2006, 12:49 AM

That wouldnt stand up in court long, as Federal law prohibits any state from inacting any law that interferes with inter-state comerce.

Fuck Utah, the snow there is too fucking light, the beer is weak and there is too many fucking mormons. Not exactly high on my must hit destination list.

Trackhead
03-02-2006, 01:09 AM
there is too many fucking mormons. .

They do like to do that. Can't blame 'em for that.

Egon
03-02-2006, 09:59 AM
Getting it into Cougar Stadium is a different story.

Getting into cougar stadium is suprisingly easy. Just bring a nice flask, or fill some mini bar bottles, wear a heavy coat. Buy soda, raise hell.

Also there are almost zero porto-pots in the parking lots if you're going to tailgate. So finding some bushes where the girlfriend/wife can go is pretty big. I prefer to just piss on the basketball stadium.

Professor
03-02-2006, 10:25 AM
That wouldnt stand up in court long, as Federal law prohibits any state from inacting any law that interferes with inter-state comerce.

Fuck Utah, the snow there is too fucking light, the beer is weak and there is too many fucking mormons. Not exactly high on my must hit destination list.
Inter-state commerce does not cover bootlegging which is what this is (insert "Smokey and the Bandit" theme). Not saying dont do it, just dont expect the Constitution to protect you. States have the right to govern alchohol consumption within their borders. However, some of these issues are currently being challenged by things like "beer of the month" clubs that want to ship to all states. Currently it is illegal to ship these types of things into Utah. Same with buying from wine brokers. But as far as I am concerned, if these things make people want to stay away from Utah, then I think they are great :biggrin:

Cyber Cop
03-02-2006, 10:34 AM
But as far as I am concerned, if these things make people want to stay away from Utah, then I think they are great :biggrin:

You know, I will be perfectly willing to stay out of Utah if you will keep your pre-pubescent white shirt clad holy roller off my fucking door-step. Fair enough?

rideit
03-02-2006, 11:01 AM
They do like to do that. Can't blame 'em for that.

I dunno...a lot of the ones see anywhere other than the canyons are cows...but I guess some folks like that...

Professor
03-02-2006, 11:28 AM
You know, I will be perfectly willing to stay out of Utah if you will keep your pre-pubescent white shirt clad holy roller off my fucking door-step. Fair enough?

I guarantee I had nothing to do with sending "Elder (insert last name here)" to your house or anyone elses house for that matter :nonono2:

MacDaddy
03-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Man I love this thread, but not as much as I love good beer! (OK I'm a fuking beer snob)

Unfortunately I'm on my Lenten abstinence, so all this beer talk and the smooth chill vibe music I am listening to at the moment is making me thirsty.

Nice little formula Kenny G! I like it. I think for Easter I'm going to make a Wyoming Keg run just to put my little CA DL theory to test. I plan on being prepared in case I get spotted and nabbed for my little boot leg run into WY.

KennyG what is this ACLU production you speak of? Is it in transcript form or other? Where might it be available for an upstanding citizen like my self?

Cyber Cop
03-02-2006, 11:42 AM
I guarantee I had nothing to do with sending "Elder (insert last name here)" to your house or anyone elses house for that matter :nonono2:

Well, then what you got to trade. Deliver 12 virgins to the boarder or were sending in the hoards. And their fully loaded.:tdo13: :tdo13: :tdo13: :tdo13:

72Twenty
03-02-2006, 11:46 AM
Getting into cougar stadium is suprisingly easy. Just bring a nice flask, or fill some mini bar bottles, wear a heavy coat. Buy soda, raise hell.

Also there are almost zero porto-pots in the parking lots if you're going to tailgate. So finding some bushes where the girlfriend/wife can go is pretty big. I prefer to just piss on the basketball stadium.

Heh, last time I went to a game there, it was funny. All these Wyoming fans (at least a couple hundred) were walking in somewhat of a group towards our section of the stands, and it was like the parting of the seas. All the BYU fans just stopped and got the hell out of our way. It was pretty cool! A fellow fan was pissed off cause he couldn't even get a coffee there. No Pepsi/Coke. Had to get something without caffeine. It was just funny watching him try order after order, it really blew his mind... "What?!?!?!? No @#$%&#@ COFFEE!??!??!?!?!??!" (It was an evening game and it was cold.)

Back to the beer thing...

Do you think the Utah cops watch people heading into Evanston and wait to see if you are there for a small amount of time and on your way back when they try and nab you?

MacDaddy
03-02-2006, 12:02 PM
Do you think the Utah cops watch people heading into Evanston and wait to see if you are there for a small amount of time and on your way back when they try and nab you?

Yes I think they do that and they have a stinkin paid rat on the other side as well!

Professor
03-02-2006, 12:04 PM

YES! They stand on the hill with binoculars and write down UT license plate numbers at the liquor store on the edge of town. No, I am not joking. :nonono2:

PaSucks
03-02-2006, 12:11 PM
Yes I think they do that and they have a stinkin paid rat on the other side as well!

You need a decoy to counteract this. Send someone in first with a pickup, bed empty. Once at the beer store, buy keg, put in trunk of second car or van or whatever. Put something in the bed of the truck that looks like a keg, and cover it with a tarp. Be creative. Maybe some manure or some other legal but disgusting object to fuck with the cops. Have truck go back and see if he gets pulled over.

MacDaddy
03-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Actually I was thinking I would have some one ( local friend) "pre purchase" the keg then I would pick it up at their house or specified location.

Buzzworthy
03-02-2006, 12:24 PM
The only reason you can't get New Belgium beers in Utah is because the liquor stores here don't refrigerate the beer. That's the word I got straight from the NB brewery.

That said, I don't really bother with buying beer at the sliquor stores here. Since none of the beer is refrigerated, most of it is spoiled. And with 4% available at the grocery store...fuck it, I'll just drink that.

New Belgium can be bought in Idaho at La Tienda and they leave it out as well. They put in the walk in as needed. It is never spoiled, trust me. Not sure what NB is talking about. The way they brew their beer, it won't spoil for many many months.

I buy from La Tienda, out of state (a whopping 4 miles each way) for canned crap and Utah Liq store for Sierra Nevada, a 5.6 % pale ale for 1.25 a bottle, $30 a case. Steep, yes, best beer/alcohol % for your money in Utah, yes.

How can you say most of it is spoiled? I have/do brew beer and that makes no sense from what I know.

And I am with Mac, give me a Utah Natty Light, Bud Light or Sliver Bullet vs. normal states and I too can tell the difference spot on. Like the article said up top, they add water to comply. Easily to taste.

That said, when I lived in Ogden last year I would just drink the Utah stuff. Too far to go for another 1 %.

edg
03-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Did ya know that 1.6% of the population of Palau are LDS?

edg

MacDaddy
03-02-2006, 01:03 PM
New Belgium can be bought in Idaho at La Tienda and they leave it out as well. They put in the walk in as needed.

Buzz not so sure that you both are wrong or right for that matter.

I think that SB is highlighting a QC standard inherent w/ the NB brewery. My take is that the Idaho distribution house that sells to La Tienda doesn't give a shit because its much lower volume- than selling pallets of product to a state where a bottle could sit for months in the heat and certainly spoil.

my 2pesos

Steven S. Dallas
03-02-2006, 01:08 PM
I heard that the more Utah beer I drink, the wittier and handsomer I become and the prettier ugly girls get. Is that true?

stump832
03-02-2006, 01:22 PM
I heard that the more Utah beer I drink, the wittier and handsomer I become and the prettier ugly girls get. Is that true?

Speaking from personal experience, yes, you are right.

Buzzworthy
03-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Buzz not so sure that you both are wrong or right for that matter.

I think that SB is highlighting a QC standard inherent w/ the NB brewery. My take is that the Idaho distribution house that sells to La Tienda doesn't give a shit because its much lower volume- than selling pallets of product to a state where a bottle could sit for months in the heat and certainly spoil.

my 2pesos

Point taken.

But it won't sit more than a few weeks at La T. That place sells a lot, I should know, I have spent lots there.

I routinely buy out of state beer and bring it in for personal consumption, even got pulled over once with 10 cases less than a mile from my house and 3 miles from the Idaho beer store (I was not driving, I was having the party, cop knew which house was mine and let us go on and said he would look later for drunk drivers).

So I just called the Utah Bevarage Control board to find out what the law excatly is, since I do this on a regular basis and cops set up right on the border know this. I am waiting for a call back. I will post my findings.

this is where I found the number: http://www.alcbev.state.ut.us/Liquor_Laws/liquor_laws_affecting_visitors.html

72Twenty
03-02-2006, 02:30 PM
You need a decoy to counteract this. Send someone in first with a pickup, bed empty. Once at the beer store, buy keg, put in trunk of second car or van or whatever. Put something in the bed of the truck that looks like a keg, and cover it with a tarp. Be creative. Maybe some manure or some other legal but disgusting object to fuck with the cops. Have truck go back and see if he gets pulled over.

I highly reccomend this. But use either roadkill or blowup sex dolls. :biggrin:

KennyG
03-02-2006, 10:31 PM
KennyG what is this ACLU production you speak of? Is it in transcript form or other? Where might it be available for an upstanding citizen like my self?

I mis-spoke it's actually made by the people over at flexyourrights.org I have a bootlegged copy I got off the internet. They seem to be giving them away at their website for a $20 donation to their organization. Go check em out.

http://www.flexyourrights.org/

Buzzworthy
03-03-2006, 12:01 PM
Wow, I am surprised. They actually called me back.

Yep, DTM is right, you are allowed to bring into Utah NO out of state alcohol for personal consumption.

Ski Monkey
03-03-2006, 12:52 PM

Yep, DTM is right, you are allowed to bring into Utah NO out of state alcohol for personal consumption.

There is a one time exemption however for people moving into the state and have things like thousand dollar wine collections.

Dantheman
03-03-2006, 01:10 PM

What if it's not intended for consumption? Like if you needed it to lube up your chili slip 'n' slide.

daPig
03-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Seems the thing to do is make sure you put all of your beer in the trunk. Search and seizure laws are much more strict when it comes to cops opening your trunk. They can nose around and look in your windows but your trunk is considered a private area and therefore requires more cause to open. A speeding, tags, insurance violation is minor and does not constitute any reason to open your trunk. I guess you would need a big trunk to hold a keg but this could apply to a pickup truck cap as well (as long as there is something to block direct view through the side windows).

Buzzworthy
03-03-2006, 01:49 PM
What if it's not intended for consumption? Like if you needed it to lube up your chili slip 'n' slide.

Do I need to make another call for ya?

Back to drinking Utah beer I guess, which I have to drive from my house about 20 minutes, or I could go to Idaho, buy normal beer only 4 miles from my house and break the law everytime doing it. Hmmmmm................ :rolleyes:

WWMD? :fm: :rolleyes: :FIREdevil

Monkey, she said about that too. One time my ass. How bout once a week?

KennyG
03-03-2006, 01:50 PM
I bet you are allowed to travel through the state. I highly doubt Coors drives arround the entire fucking state to deliver beer to Nevada and Colorado.

Buzzworthy
03-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Seems the thing to do is make sure you put all of your beer in the trunk.

Hell, in the summer I bungee cord a 30 pack to my motorcycle. More times than I can count, right by the counties from both ID and UT sides. NEVER been pulled over. I think I won't worry much about this law in the sticks I live in.

I won't be doing a multiple keg run though like I had planned for Buzzapalooza this year. :frown:

Danno
03-03-2006, 02:02 PM
I bet you are allowed to travel through the state. I highly doubt Coors drives arround the entire fucking state to deliver beer to Nevada and Colorado.
that exception to the law was discussed earlier in the thread. However, just because Coors can do it doesn't necessarily mean an individual can do the same...

Dantheman
03-03-2006, 02:26 PM
I won't be doing a multiple keg run though like I had planned for Buzzapalooza this year. :frown:
Easy there buddy, let's not start talking crazy talk. A mission as noble as Buzzapalooza cannot be given up on so easily.

Egon
03-03-2006, 02:33 PM
yes, keg in the trunk would be best.
I considered getting a permit for a kegger in a few weeks (i'm graduating), but it turns out that's illegal too: (UDABC response)

In the State of Utah, kegs are restricted to licensed retailers only. If someone wants a temporary beer permit, they must be conducting a convention, civic, or community enterprise. A private party does not qualify as this type of event. So the bottom line is - You cannot have a permit or a keg for your private party in the State of Utah. Sorry

John Bryant
Compliance Investigator

Well spent state tax money right there.

On the agenda for tonight: box o' wine, brass monkey. Happy friday all.

edit- if buzzapalooza is a 'community enterprise' its legal :D

teleee
03-03-2006, 02:37 PM
I maintain a vehicle with Wyoming plates and one of the premiere benefit is frequent keg runs from Salt Lake to Evanston. If you are really worried about getting busted hauling in the goods there is a dirt road from Evanston through Chalk Creek that comes out in Coalville.

Cyber Cop
03-03-2006, 02:45 PM
See,it's true.... ^^^^^ the ghost of Al Capone lives.:FIREdevil

Buzzworthy
03-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Easy there buddy, let's not start talking crazy talk. A mission as noble as Buzzapalooza cannot be given up on so easily.

Oh man, weak moment I just had there. Your are right Sir DTM! Creative thinking will be the key. And Telee's truck. :biggrin:

Gots a few ideas already. :biggrin:

teleee
03-03-2006, 02:57 PM
And Telee's truck
My truck is gladly available for such a noble cause!

cololi
03-03-2006, 08:00 PM
No myths here, the better half is out with friends, the kids are in bed, and I'm kicking down some cold cheap ass grocery store goods. #6 and counting.

Free Range Lobster
03-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Premo Import (Guiness, Corona, New Castle)

whoa whoa whoa these are not "premo import"s

Aventinus
Berliner
Duvel
Samuel Smiths
etc. are all "premo" imports.

But you're only 22, you wouldn't know any better.

SkiingBear
03-04-2006, 07:20 AM
The way they brew their beer, it won't spoil for many many months.
Not true. NB does not heat pasteurize their beer. It's that process that allows beer to be stored warm and not spoil (see Coors for another example, it's never stored warm, always kept cold...not saying Coors and NB are comparable in taste).

A Chemical Engineering friend from college got a job as a beer engineer with Anheiser Busch and confirmed this explanation.

Sorry, but it's true, beers that are not heat pasteurized and are not kept cold spoil rapidly (in a matter of days).

Woodsy
01-17-2007, 06:24 AM
it seems the localculture used to follow the Aristotelean Mean:
intersting at least, and the time of year people should read this.

Beehive State Brew
Utah has a heady beer-making tradition, say author, collector
By Kathy Stephenson
The Salt Lake Tribune
This time of year travelers from all over the world come to Utah for ski vacations, winter sports competitions and - starting tomorrow - the 10-day Sundance Film Festival.
These guests likely have heard plenty of tales of Utah's teetotaling ways.
But few visitors - not to mention some longtime residents - may not realize that the Beehive State has a rich beer-making history. And it began shortly after the the Mormon pioneers arrived.
No kidding!
Years ago, beer didn't just flow in the capital city. Small breweries dotted the landscape from Ogden, Manti, Logan, Alta to Parleys Canyon, usually set up near a fast, clear-running stream, a necessity for proper brewing.
Still can't believe it? The proof is in Stan Sanders' private memorabilia collection.
Sanders, a self-described "saver", has an entire room devoted to Utah beer. Some call it the "Smithsonian" of Beehive brews.
On the shelves there are old brown bottles with raised lettering from the Henry Wagener Brewing Co. in Salt Lake City and green bottles with faded Becker Beer labels, one of Ogden's most successful breweries.
On the walls, there are posters and light-up signs that advertise using beautiful women and catchy slogans such as "Sparkle Brewed to the Altitude" and "Pure as the Breath of Spring."
Sanders has Advertisement
document.writeln(AAMB6);http://www.nacorp.com/ads/1pixel.gif (http://63.225.61.3/ADCLICK/CID=fffffffcfffffffcfffffffc/area=slt../adsize=300x250/keyword=/site=/acc_random=77546242/pageid=77546242)

collected plenty of other beer swag, too: matchbooks, ashtrays, pocket mirrors, salt and pepper shakers, light-switch covers and bottle openers that tout Utah beers.
"At one time, there was an awful lot of brewing going on in Utah," says Sanders, who will turn 80 this year.
Indeed, Utah was once the crossroads of the West, so there were plenty of travelers stopping in for a drink. But that couldn't account for all the beer that was consumed, said Sanders, during a recent interview at his Salt Lake City home. The locals had to be downing their fair share as well.
"I know they say the Mormons don't drink [alcohol]," he said, "But I don't know who else drank it."
Many of those early beer consumers were the German, Irish and Italian immigrants who came to work in the Utah mines, said Del Vance, author of the new publication Beer in the Beehive: A History of Brewing in Utah. The self-published book is available for $32.95 at Ken Sanders' Rare Books, 268 S. 200 East, Salt Lake City. (Ken is Stan Sander's son.)Back then there was no refrigeration and preservatives that allowed beer to be shipped long distances. Local breweries had to supply what these workers - notorious for their love of beer - needed, said Vance.
"I was surprised that when I started researching the topic there were so many in Utah, said Vance, who spent the last two years conducting research for the book which combines his two favorite topics: beer and history. The 315-page book includes Utah and American beer history as well as profiles of more than two dozen historical and modern-day Utah breweries. It also includes many photographs from Sanders' beer memorabilia collection.
Wagener, Becker and Fisher beers were the largest Utah breweries, but there were smaller operations, such as Philadelphia Brewery, P. Buller and Grove. A few were even owned by faithful members of the Mormon church.
"The early pioneers seemed to live by a different set of rules than today," Vance wrote. "They believed in moderation rather than total abstinence from alcohol. Like the Puritans before them they didn't consider beer to be liquor - yet."
For example, a Mormon named Richard Bishop Margetts started Salt Lake City's Utah Brewery and Brigham Young's bodyguard Orrin Porter Rockwell was an owner of the Hot Spring Brewery Hotel near the Point of the Mountain. The brewery claimed to produce up to 500 gallons - about 16 barrels - of "good lager beer" a day, according to Beer in the Beehive.
While focused on beer, Vance's book does mention the fact that Mormons produced their own brand of whiskey, called Valley Tan. It was considered one of the better brands in the West and earned praise from many, including British adventurer Captain Richard F. Burton and Mark Twain.
Even the Mormon-owned department store, Zion's Co-operative Mercantile Institution (ZCMI) sold beer, wine and liquor at its downtown store.
"By 1870, three-fourths of the state's revenue came from the sale of alcoholic beverages," said Vance.
Prohibition, of course, ended all commercial brewing. (Ironically, Utah was the 36th and deciding state to ratify the 21st Amendment ending national prohibition.)
By then, however, the attitude toward liquor had permanently changed in the state. The Word of Wisdom - a code of health which prohibits Mormons from consuming alcohol and other harmful substances - may have originated in 1833, but not all Mormons followed it strictly until 1921, when adherence was required in order to be worthy of entering a sacred church temple.
In the past decade, Utah brewing has made a comeback, with more than a dozen microbreweries operating in the state. Many of the brews have won gold, silver and bronze medals at the Great American Beer Festival as well as the World Beer Cup competitions.
It was that recent beer-making success that inspired Vance to write Beer in the Beehive.
"We have some of the best microbrewed beer in the country," he said. "I wanted to refute the image of Utah being a dry, dull boring state."
[B]Utah Beer timeline
1864: Henry Wagener, a 26-year-old German immigrant, establishes the first major commercial brewery in Utah at the mouth of Emigration Canyon.
1871:Jacob Moritz, a 27-year-old German immigrant founded the Salt Lake City Brewing Co. on 500 South and 1000 East.
1884: The A. Fisher Brewing Co. is founded. It eventually becomes Utah's largest brewery.
1903:Carrie Nation, the grandmotherly leader of the Women's Temperance Christian Union comes to Utah for the annual LDS General Conference hoping to recruit attendees to her crusade against alcohol and tobacco.
1917:Utah is one of 21 states to adopt a statewide prohibition on liquor.
1933: Utah becomes the 36th and deciding state to ratify the 21st Amendment ending national prohibition.
1967: Lucky Lager Brewing Co. (formerly A. Fisher Brewing Co.) closed its doors leaving Utah with no local breweries for the first time in more than a century.
1986: Schirf Brewing Co. established, ending a 19-year drought of craft beer in Utah.
2005:Uinta Brewing Co. sold more than 15,000 barrels of beer, moving it out of the smaller "microbrewery" category and into the group known as regional specialty brewers.

haydukelives
01-17-2007, 07:22 AM
buy a 1.75 l vodka for $11, and add the amount it takes to raise the alcohol of your grocery beer to whatever level you like. 1.5 oz adds 5%. 1 oz is about right for me. and polygamy porter is not bad

mrkristofo
01-17-2007, 08:54 AM
this thread makes me wonder...shall we start a collective and ongoing "B-double-E-double-R-U-N" to 'yomin thread to maximize this "wasted gas"?

I'm always willing to thrown down for 24 New Belgiums when someone's heading out of state. Hell, I'd even kick a couple towards the driver. At that rate, they could get a 12er of free, real beer pretty quick.

Brew Hunter
01-17-2007, 11:11 AM

Applejacks is the shiot, and they have the frequent boozer card that you swipe to save $$$$!!

Home of the Canadian Mist in the "caution can".

MacDaddy
01-17-2007, 12:24 PM
I will be swinging through My beloved Applejacks on Friday!!!!

yippy Im getting excited!

so sad what UT can do to a man:nonono2:

Brew Hunter
01-17-2007, 12:40 PM
I will be swinging through My beloved Applejacks on Friday!!!!

yippy Im getting excited!

so sad what UT can do to a man:nonono2:

You have to love the local too!;)

fonixmunkee
01-17-2007, 02:09 PM
Hi, I'm a late-comer to this tread. So sorry for my ignorance on things that may have been addressed/discussed.

I just got back from Utah last week. This article seems like it's written to put contemplative visitors' minds at ease. It might address some beer-related issues, but it doesn't cover the closed-mindedness or Big Brother-like laws Utah has against alcohol.

First off, Utah's drinking laws are absurd. Even most citizens agree that they are just a tad bit ridiculous. For one, you can't have more than 32oz of beer on you at any given time. So if I have a 32oz mug of threetwo ("4% by volume, blah blah") and I want another, I have to FINISH my current mug before the server will bring a second.

Next, if I want a drink with hard liquor, I damn well better be having a meal with it. If not, I can't drink it at the bar in a restaurant...I have to be sitting at a table with a meal ordered. What the hell?

Lastly, in reference to Big Brother, there's the Utah State Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control. This just sounds ridiculous. What's next? Utah State Department of Fun Moderation and Control?

And the prices they put on liquor and beer! Outrageous!

Anyway, end of my rant. This article does little to set my mind at ease regarding beer (Wasatch Brew Pub beers taste like ass, except for Polygamy Porter; Squatters has some great ones; Bohemian Brewery have some down-right delicious brews, but none of them get me drunk) because it only addresses microbrews, and completely skirts the issue of alcohol control in Utah completely.

Damn Utah for having some of the best terrain and snow in the world. Tear down that Zion Curtain and let the real good times roll!

Brew Hunter
01-17-2007, 02:13 PM
Hi, I'm a late-comer to this tread. So sorry for my ignorance on things that may have been addressed/discussed.

I just got back from Utah last week. This article seems like it's written to put contemplative visitors' minds at ease. It might address some beer-related issues, but it doesn't cover the closed-mindedness or Big Brother-like laws Utah has against alcohol.

First off, Utah's drinking laws are absurd. Even most citizens agree that they are just a tad bit ridiculous. For one, you can't have more than 32oz of beer on you at any given time. So if I have a 32oz mug of threetwo ("4% by weight, blah blah") and I want another, I have to FINISH my current mug before the server will bring a second.

Next, if I want a drink with hard liquor, I damn well better be having a meal with it. If not, I can't drink it at the bar in a restaurant...I have to be sitting at a table with a meal ordered. What the hell?

Lastly, in reference to Big Brother, there's the Utah State Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control. This just sounds ridiculous. What's next? Utah State Department of Fun Moderation and Control?

Anyway, end of my rant. This article does little to set my mind at ease regarding beer (Wasatch Brew Pub beers taste like ass, except for Polygamy Porter; Squatters has some great ones; Bohemian Brewery have some down-right delicious brews, but none of them get me drunk) because outside of the microbrews, and completely skirts the issue of alcohol control in Utah completely.

Damn Utah for having some of the best terrain and snow in the world. Tear down that Zion Curtain and let the real good times roll!

Exactly- you can't even be a nice guy and get a lady a drink at the bar, she has to tag along with ya.

Another thing... why are most/all of the mexican food joints named after a colored Iguana?

01-17-2007, 02:17 PM

First off, Utah's drinking laws are absurd. Even most citizens agree that they are just a tad bit ridiculous. For one, you can't have more than 32oz of beer on you at any given time. So if I have a 32oz mug of threetwo ("4% by volume, blah blah") and I want another, I have to FINISH my current mug before the server will bring a second.

Anyway, end of my rant. This article does little to set my mind at ease regarding beer (Wasatch Brew Pub beers taste like ass, except for Polygamy Porter; Squatters has some great ones; Bohemian Brewery have some down-right delicious brews, but none of them get me drunk) because it only addresses microbrews, and completely skirts the issue of alcohol control in Utah completely.

No way! Tell us more!

YetiMan
01-17-2007, 02:35 PM

Pretty high odds I'm playing hockey against the guy that caught you this Saturday.

I still can't believe they enforce that stuff. :nonono2:

FartBag Commando
01-17-2007, 02:44 PM
Pretty high odds I'm playing hockey against the guy that caught you this Saturday.

I still can't believe they enforce that stuff. :nonono2:

Please brutally check those fucks against the boards as much as possible. I'm running the gauntlet soon so if some of them could be out of commission that would be really helpful. Thanks man.

mc_roon
01-17-2007, 02:52 PM
YES! They stand on the hill with binoculars and write down UT license plate numbers at the liquor store on the edge of town. No, I am not joking. :nonono2:

they do that a lot. The trick is to go a little further past the border, or park in an area where you are sure that you cant be seen from the border

YetiMan
01-17-2007, 02:54 PM
one of those guys actually took me out pretty hard at practice the other day. He's a big fella.

Red Baron
01-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Maybe he had a keg stashed away in his jersey? You should go stand on a hill with binoculars and watch him get dressed before the game, then call him out on it.

Ski Monkey
01-17-2007, 04:29 PM
Maybe he had a keg stashed away in his jersey? You should go stand on a hill with binoculars and watch him get dressed before the game, then call him out on it.

Heh.

Egon
01-17-2007, 05:45 PM

Whatever, I'm over it. Hope you guys do well.

...I only feel pity for that poor assbag cop.

edit: check the dates on the thread

AstroPax
01-17-2007, 06:35 PM
KEG BEER
can't get it in utah and it's hard to throw a proper party without it.

Not exactly a true statement.

I'm retired military. I do all my beer n' booze shopping on Hill AFB...at the base liqueur store. It's a 24/7 operation. Oh, and they sell kegs too.

-astro

Altaholic
06-04-2007, 12:41 AM
The cheapest beers to buy in UT are:

Sierra Nevada. $7.50 per 6pack.

Full Sail: $7.20 per 6pack.

Lev: $1.85 per bottle (17 oz.)

Spaten: $2.15 per bottle. (17 oz.)

BTW, for alchohol by volume, multiply by .8 and you'll have alchohol by weight. So the Full Sail IPA I'm drinking right now says 6% by volume but it's 4.8% by weight, which is a little more than UT 3.2.

Also you get Kilt Lifter (6.8 %) & Pyramiad's Thunderhead IPA (6.7) & Snow Cap Winter Ale (6.8) for $9 a sixer, an okay price

But I take pride in bootleggin' whenever I can & stick it to the man. I'm not the moron that goes to very first liqour store across the border from UT. I've done it a few times and been sucessful each time, just don't make yourself stand out on I-15 or 80.

FartBag Commando
06-04-2007, 10:05 AM
But I take pride in bootleggin' whenever I can & stick it to the man. I'm not the moron that goes to very first liqour store across the border from UT. I've done it a few times and been sucessful each time, just don't make yourself stand out on I-15 or 80.

DING! That's how it's done. Or just make sure at least a few of your friends brew their own....:biggrin:

TruckeeLocal
06-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Need I remind the board that Utah cast the deciding vote to overturn prohibition ? 'Tis a strange country we live in.

criscam
06-04-2007, 10:19 AM
DING! That's how it's done. Or just make sure at least a few of your friends brew their own....:biggrin:

starting a new batch tomorrow called "summer buzz"! should be ready in about 4-6 weeks.

FartBag Commando
06-04-2007, 10:28 AM
starting a new batch tomorrow called "summer buzz"! should be ready in about 4-6 weeks.

Just in time for my birthday!! How'd you know?

snoboy
06-04-2007, 12:48 PM
from the original article:

"You'd have to drink a lot of beer to notice a 1 percent alcohol difference,"

4% -> 5% is not a 1% difference... it's a 25% difference!

I thought that Polygamy Porter was a pretty good beer, but I certainly prefer the looser laws elsewhere. Where I grew up you could buy beer in the corner store, everyday except Sunday. Here in BC, it's OK, but a bit uptight IMO - certainly not UT thank God!

Ski Monkey
06-04-2007, 12:50 PM
I love it when people pick up a six month old thread conversation without missing a beat.

backpack
06-04-2007, 02:25 PM
If you are really worried about getting busted hauling in the goods there is a dirt road from Evanston through Chalk Creek that comes out in Coalville.

I use that road to make wal-mart runs from Pinecliff. Definitely a sure-fire way to avoid getting caught if that's your primary goal.

criscam
06-04-2007, 04:03 PM
Just in time for my birthday!! How'd you know?

perfect. guess what i'm getting you?

Altaholic
06-04-2007, 04:20 PM

I plan to do some homebrewing once I get back to SLC in October. I wanna do some IPAs & double IPAs.

criscam
06-04-2007, 04:49 PM
I wanna do some IPAs & double IPAs.

now you're talkin!

AstroPax
06-04-2007, 05:05 PM
I use that road to make wal-mart runs from Pinecliff. Definitely a sure-fire way to avoid getting caught if that's your primary goal.Belive me, just about every Summit County deputy is well aware of the fact that Chalk Creek Road (SR 133) is used for bootlegging out of Evanston.

-Astro.

Hutch
06-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Belive me, just about every Summit County deputy is well aware of the fact that Chalk Creek Road (SR 133) is used for bootlegging out of Evanston.

-Astro.

Says the guy who buys kegs on the air force base.

What about this one, to Wahsatch?

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27539&stc=1&d=1180998487

AstroPax
06-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Says the guy who buys kegs on the air force base.

What about this one, to Wahsatch?

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27539&stc=1&d=1180998487

WY 151 is Yellow Creek Road, and it eventually turns into Chalk Creek Road when it enters the Chalk Creek Basin. I've never driven on that road, the one you highlighted from Yellow Creek Road over to Wahsatch, but I think one might as well just take I-80 out of Wyoming. I think the odds are better.

Shit, if people are that paranoid, they might as well just take Mirror Lake Highway (UT 150) all the way to Kamas, at least in the summertime.

-Astro

Altaholic
07-04-2007, 12:38 AM
I always feel like Burt Renolds from Smokey & the Bandit whenever I bootleg beer into UT, but I'm not stupid enough to go to evanston. That is where everyone from SLC goes, & the cops (smokeys) know it.

FartBag Commando
07-04-2007, 12:07 PM
What the fuck? It's really not a big deal. I've already gone at least six times to Evanston and not had any problems. It's the fuktards who roll on a Friday afternoon or the day before a holiday who're getting nailed. Just go on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening. Cruise through town and visit all the stores finding what you want, cover it all up, get dinner at Don Pedro's, go out a different way you came in and hang with the big rigs on the way home.

tigerstripe40
07-04-2007, 12:30 PM
It just slays me that people will make an evanston run and bring back Coors or Budweiser...

Sure, some peopl,e can taste the difference.
But they are both SHITTY beers, so I don't drink them anyways..

If I make the trip, I always get good beers.
New Belgium
Arrogant Bastard
Red Truck IPA
etc.

Oh, and if anybody has friends who are on Search and Rescue, ask them for a SAR sticker and put that on your back window...
;)

That has saved a friend of mine from countless speeding tickets, and he never gets hasseled when coming to or from Evanston...

Altaholic
07-04-2007, 08:23 PM
It just slays me that people will make an evanston run and bring back Coors or Budweiser...

Sure, some peopl,e can taste the difference.
But they are both SHITTY beers, so I don't drink them anyways..

If I make the trip, I always get good beers.
New Belgium
Arrogant Bastard
Red Truck IPA
etc.

Oh, and if anybody has friends who are on Search and Rescue, ask them for a SAR sticker and put that on your back window...
;)

That has saved a friend of mine from countless speeding tickets, and he never gets hasseled when coming to or from Evanston...

I know what you are talking about, WTF is the point of driving to evanston to get some fizzy yellow beer. I would get beer I can't get in UT like Alaskan, Deschutes, etc. something that has taste. I went to one party last year, I was not sure of what they got so I brought my own bootlegged Rogue w/ me. I was like "Keep your fizzy yellow I brought my own", they got Coors & Bud Light.

By the way Tiger Stripe, I like your avatar. You definitly are worthy drinker. For all you who don't know what this means stick to your tasteless fizzy yellow beer.

I've bootlegged numerous times & have NEVER been caught, I set cruise @ 70 MPH once I get into UT.

FartBag Commando
07-04-2007, 10:48 PM
I've bootlegged numerous times & have NEVER been caught, I set cruise @ 70 MPH once I get into UT.

There you go. If you can't handle that, you can't handle bootlegging. Tonight we enjoyed O'Dell's IPA, Alaskan Summer Ale, Sunshine Wheat and some others. Red Mountain Liquors has the best deal on O'Dell's and New Belgium - if you buy 10 cases they'll take 10% off. Discount Liquors used to have a sweet selection of Deschutes but last week there was none to be found anywhere in Evanston.

Altaholic
10-10-2007, 05:05 PM
There you go. If you can't handle that, you can't handle bootlegging. Tonight we enjoyed O'Dell's IPA, Alaskan Summer Ale, Sunshine Wheat and some others. Red Mountain Liquors has the best deal on O'Dell's and New Belgium - if you buy 10 cases they'll take 10% off. Discount Liquors used to have a sweet selection of Deschutes but last week there was none to be found anywhere in Evanston.

Odell IPA is AMAZING, one of the top 5 IPAs I have ever had. I have a case of it in my place in Sandy with my other 21+ (yes 21+) cases of bootlegged beer, my way to stick it to the man. However I do like the UT Liq. stores have Full Sail & Anderson Valley beers, those I really enjoy.

DrGonzo
10-10-2007, 06:20 PM
Odell IPA is AMAZING, one of the top 5 I have ever had. I have a case of it in my place in Sandy with my other 21+ cases of bootlegged beer, my way to stick it to the man. However I do like the UT Liq stores have Full Sail & Anderson Valley beers, those I really enjoy.

Odell Levity Amber is in my current top 5 and I pick up at least a couple of 6-packs every time I go to Western CO, which is about once a month. Their 5 Barrell Pale isn't bad either, but I haven't tried the IPA--I always look at it and pick something else because UT has the IPAs pretty well covered with Squatter's.

Altaholic
10-10-2007, 06:29 PM
I made a typo, I meant Top 5 IPAs. Levity Amber is good, and I HATE most amber, because most of them are too bland. Alaskan Amber & Rogue American Amber (This is one of my favorite beers EVER) are the few ambers I really enjoy.