PDA

View Full Version : Ski Boot Liner Pack Out?

skiing311
12-11-2005, 05:26 PM
My ski boots don't hold my foot in place well enough. I think they fit well enough laterally, but either the heel cup or the instep is not tight enough to hold my foot in place well enough. Are there modifications that can be made to add some additional support in those areas?

One other consideration is that I have a boot that's too big. I'm in a 25.0/25.5 shell that is 295mm long (according to the inscription on the boot). My foot is roughly 260mm long. When I pull the liners out and check the shell fit, I have just a little over a half-inch of room behind my heel when my foot is touching the front of the shell. Did I buy a boot that's too big?

Thanks for your help!

mntlion
12-11-2005, 05:33 PM
sounds like the shell fit is OK (1/2 inch)

does your heel move up and down or side to side?

up and down ...

buckle the 2nd from the top buckle a bit tighter?

try adding a heel lift under the foot bed

add a shim to the tounge of the boot to drive the heel back in the boot

side to side

footbeds.. do you have a custom made one? .. no ... get one

"L" pads around the sides and back of the ankle.

as usually see a boot fitter. hard to do this work online without seeing your feet

skiing311
12-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the advice. As far as whether it moves up or down, or left or right, I'm not sure. There's really not a lot of movement.

I do know, however, that my ski is wobbly throughout my right turns (my left one is OK, but not great). It feels like I have little control over the ski.

Any additional advice based on that information?

Again, thank you very much. I've asked opinions from so many people, I'm finally starting to get a consesus on how I should address this problem with my new boots.

mntlion
12-11-2005, 07:33 PM
how many days on the boots? (100 or more and they might be too hard/firm for you)

did you change skis at all? (fattter, stiffer, or more sidecut takes more to turn them)

do you have footbeds? or just the stock ones? (foot is rolling around, pronating)

how much room do you have around the width of the foot in the shell? 2mm is about all you want for room on the width..

solutions:
try a small thin (2-4mm) heel lift in both boots and see what that does for ya.

but I think footbeds (or if you have them differnt ones) might be the answer?

again:
as usually see a boot fitter. hard to do this work online without seeing your feet

Pow4Brains
11-14-2007, 09:27 PM
Just bumping cuz the seach function worked, kinda. The question is different though. How many days does it take for new boots to pack out to "normal".

mntlion
11-14-2007, 10:48 PM
3-10 days

how long is a day for you
how warm it is
how hard you ski

etc

abraham
11-14-2007, 11:37 PM
just curious, does the liner pack out faster on a warm day or a cold day?
I'd assume the warmth of your feet matters as well.

truth
11-15-2007, 01:35 AM
The warmer and wetter the faster it'll pack out.

Pow4Brains
11-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Thanks doodz. Now just need some snow.

powdog
11-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Quick and dirty steps to fix a packed-out liner:

1. You might want to get some heel lifts that sit at the heel of your boot shell between the liner. Of course, that will increase your angle - but it's a quick fix.

2. If that doesn't work, you might want to get some decent footbeds.

3. Get some Booster Straps - crank them up from the back of the shell to the front of the liner tongue. Trust me, that will keep your heel down. It's not an exact science tightening up Booster Straps...

4. If that doesn't work, take your boot to any knowledgeable ski shop and get them to put neoprene patches over your liner. This will take some time.

5. If the four steps above don't help, ask a ski shop if they sell Intuition foam liners. They're not cheap ($135-$150), but it's a lot cheaper than buying a new ski boot/liner.

Hope this helps...