PDA

View Full Version : Boot Stink Remedies

INDY GS
01-27-2005, 12:08 PM
I just did a quick search and turned up no results. Do any of you have good home remedys for Boot Stink? My liners are getting pretty ripe, and I would like to get them dissenfected somehow, but am not sure of techniques that won't damage them or possibly ruin the liners.

I was thinking of just burying them and getting new ones, but they just started fitting well after 2 seasons, and I don't want to start over from scratch.

INDY

irul&ublo
01-27-2005, 12:12 PM
tognar.com has something called "boot juice". Also, try fabreeze fabric odor remover. They have an extra strength.

Take your liners out after each day and let them dry or get a pair of electric boot dryers, low heat things you plug in and drop into your boots over night. these help a lot. Cost about $15.

El Chupacabra
01-27-2005, 12:21 PM
Spray Lysol inside them, let them dry.

INDY GS
01-27-2005, 12:33 PM
sounds easy enough, I always pull the liners to allow them to dry, but have never treated them w/ anything.

I will try the lysol to dissinfect and febreeze to make my feet believe they live in a summer meadow.

Thanks.

INDY

DougW
01-27-2005, 01:41 PM
Something that works on footbeds stock or otherwise is to take them out and put in a bath of hydrogenperoxide. Its kinda gross how they fiss just like a gross infection.

seldon
01-27-2005, 02:29 PM
Febreeze. Every night after skiing. I spray them and then put boot warming sticks in. They're dry and smell like "flowers" by the morn.

runethechamp
01-27-2005, 02:54 PM
Maybe this is stupid - I've never tried it in a ski boot- but I use shoe trees on all my leather shoes. The shoe trees are made out of cedar wood, they absorb a lot of moisture, and they make my shoes smell just like flowers.

01-27-2005, 03:24 PM
Stick some dryer sheets inside the liners when you're done for the day. It works even if you don't use some fancypants boot dryer.

I'm pretty sure that's been suggested on here many times.

flip
01-27-2005, 03:37 PM
Boot juice is what we used to use in our rental boots back in the day. Basically a super-powered lysol... probably not so good for your feet for boots you wear often.

Boot juice also only kills the bacteria, but leaves all the oils and crap still in the boot. To get rid of that I know some people use Simple Green, and soak the boots for awhile. I've had good luck with Nature's Miracle... it performas a similar function but has some pretty strong enzymes in it to break that stuff down. It's designed for getting pet stains/smells out of your carpet and car and you can pick it up at most pet stores.

Once you get the smell out, do like everyone else said and make sure you dry your boots well right after using them.

gwat
01-27-2005, 04:11 PM
Something that works on footbeds stock or otherwise is to take them out and put in a bath of hydrogenperoxide. Its kinda gross how they fiss just like a gross infection.

^Yea.
When my gloves get rotten I use rubbing alcohol or isopropyl alcahol. Same idea. Dump it in, let it sit for a couple minutes than rinse it out. They will smell fresh as new. And like the others said, the key to preventing the stink is to dry the boots out well as soon as they're off your feet.
I don't use Lysol or Febreeze anymore. I personally don't like the idea of spraying harsh chemicals in my gear, then letting it sit there for my body to absorb.

Benny Profane
01-27-2005, 11:16 PM
Baking soda. Good old Arm and Hammer. Just dust it up, but watch out for the excess when walking around after in your stinky sox. Works for gloves, shoes,.....

Also, Dr. Scholls makes a powder called "Odor Destroyers, shoe shot". Works pretty good.

Give both a little time, like overnite.

KANUTTEN
01-28-2005, 02:30 AM
I think all this talk about getting rid of the smell is for pussies. That unique smell that comes out of my boots after having skied for 6 full days in a row just tells me that I am doing something right. I can't really be bothered with all those different tricks to get rid of the smell. They smell bad, so what?

Come on guys; fight for your right to have really baaaad smelling boots... :eek:

irul&ublo
01-28-2005, 07:40 AM
If you really want them to have that fresh, confident just washed feeling, spray them with this:

http://a1468.g.akamai.net/f/1468/580/1d/pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/12569/300.jpg

The lifties will probably hit on you too.

Vinman
01-28-2005, 08:00 AM
not exactly sure where I read this but I have heard of people spraying their feet with a non-scented anti-perspirant before putting their ski socks as a kind of a preventative measure. Seems a bit of overkill to me but for those with really sweaty feet it might be useful.

hillsnhollows
11-06-2006, 11:12 AM
I use a pretty good product called Funk-Remover for getting the stink out of my boots and gear. You just spray it on and that's it. I don't know if any retailers in your area carry it, but you can get it online at www.funkremover.com.

L7
11-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Another product called Mirazyme that eats the microbes that cause the stink. Should be able to get it in a dive shop. They use it to destinkify wetsuits.

I don't pull my liners anymore just use bootdriers EVERY NIGHT. I also dust my feet with baby powder before putting the boots on. More for taking off the dampness for warmth but in the end the liner just smells faintly of baby powder. I know others that use the antiperspirant as Vinman suggests but I haven't tried it myself.

birdman829
11-06-2006, 12:29 PM
I use a pretty good product called Funk-Remover for getting the stink out of my boots and gear. You just spray it on and that's it. I don't know if any retailers in your area carry it, but you can get it online at www.funkremover.com.

This thread is almost 2 years old. Nice first post :rolleyes2

Buzz
11-06-2006, 01:31 PM
Mirazyme is good I use it for all my gear.

bagtagley
11-06-2006, 02:23 PM
This thread is almost 2 years old. Nice first post :rolleyes2

Have boots stopped stinking since then? I submit that they have not.

Nature's Miracle...that is all.

stuckathuntermtn
11-06-2006, 04:56 PM
odor eaters? the name says it all!

MrDirt
11-06-2006, 05:02 PM
Pull out your liners, get a small cup or shot glass and fill it with ammonia. Set the cup at the bottom each liner and just let it sit there. Do NOT get ammonia on the liner! Set a box or something on top of them to contain the air.

This method is great for getting the smells out of anything, and is proven effective for eliminating dead animal odors from the insides of cars. I really hope your boots dont smell any worse than that.

Core Shot
10-25-2008, 05:42 AM
January 2005 thread.

Sure would be nice if folks used the SEARCH FUNCTION so there could be one thread instead of thirty.