PDA

View Full Version : DIY Dry Ski Slope Matting

edg
10-14-2004, 10:23 AM
Anyone ever tried to make their own dry ski slope matting (Or anyone know of anything that would work?)? Can't find anything on the interweb - either for purchase or DIY - but someone must have some idea of how to do it (preferably inexpensively). Got a plan coming on... Let's hope I won't have to resort to midnight raids on the local ski slope...

edg

basom
10-14-2004, 10:33 AM
can't you just cover your lawn with flash animation?

bad_roo
10-14-2004, 10:34 AM
Let's hope I won't have to resort to midnight raids on the local ski slope...

Heh - been there...

edg
10-14-2004, 10:42 AM
Heh - been there...
You stack something up in London without locking it down, what do you expect? Hell, I'd be doing them a favor, teaching them a lesson in life...

Right, now I've justified this to myself, I'll be going to st... make a cup of tea, yes...

edg

AntiSoCalSkier
10-14-2004, 10:49 AM
I think edg may have already won Maggot of the year for "tracks." If he manages to construct a dry slope in his back yard, I'll nominate hom for Maggot of the Century.

CaddyDaddy77
10-14-2004, 11:18 AM
What about the artifical grass stuff? It's not a s thick as the other, but if you were to put a heavy pad it should work the same, I think. Not sure if it's directional though. Mebe if you used these guys "rough" and watered it down it would work. Likely cheaper than Snowflex or dendix.
http://www.avenui.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=4

Here's a group that designs the stuff, I think they are the distributor for snowflex in the UK.
http://www.345group.com/projectmanagement.htm

Curious to see what you come up with.

INDY GS
10-14-2004, 11:25 AM
I would assume that the artificial turf grass like they are selling for desert lawn installs might work if well watered or maybe slicked up somehow. Our local big box hardware store has some samples that I thought might work if put on a steep enough ramp.

Good luck. I have been contemplting this same concept for while.

INDY

Blurred
10-14-2004, 11:27 AM
Edg-you could go totally ghetto and cut up a bunch of milk crates, that works.

CaddyDaddy77
10-14-2004, 11:30 AM

Cheesy announcer voice" And Bob tell our audience what the first fall will recieve!"

"A fine example of a cheese grated ass!"

"Thank you and back to our show"

would work though.

Spicoli
10-14-2004, 11:38 AM
The cheap way to go would be to use hay or straw. Stuff's slicker than snot

72Twenty
10-14-2004, 11:42 AM
Get some of that wanna be Astro turf lookin stuff that white trash people lay down in front of their mobile estates. Then splooge liquid dish soap all over it, then apply water. That's what Jonny Moseley used for his jump on Letterman after Nagano.

Heh heh, I was thinking of doing the same thing. I was going to go to K-Mart and buy that little 6ft portable grind rail for skateboarders and make a turf in run out of my garage and slide the rail on my driveway on my old Concepts. It would really blow my neighbors' minds, man. :D

edg
10-14-2004, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the input guys :D I was thinking artificial turf myself, going to have a little look around the local DIY place - some rough/tall plasic material + water might work quite well.

Straw : Nice idea! That might be a very economical way.

Planning, planning, planning...

edg

midget
10-14-2004, 02:02 PM
have you talked to any of the local ski hills to see if they have replaced any of theirs recently? Have any leftovers to sell?

edg
10-14-2004, 02:53 PM
have you talked to any of the local ski hills to see if they have replaced any of theirs recently? Have any leftovers to sell?
I'm intending to - who knows, maybe I'll be lucky. It seems to be a very grid-based system, so if they do have any old matting or off cuts, maybe they'd give or sell them to me and I could combine them.

edg

INDY GS
10-14-2004, 03:02 PM
reliable racing has the matting that is used for start gates as well as chairlift ramps. They don't list pricing, but you can call and request a quote.

However I am sure shipping would be bitch and very expensive to the UK, Maybe they can refer you to another distributor in your neck of the woods.

I am in pain thinking of the milk crate idea, however I am tempted to try it.

INDY

bad_roo
10-14-2004, 03:02 PM
edg - when I was a student, a group of us acquired a whole bunch of Dendix matting that was surplus to requirements from Southampton dry ski slope. We loaded it into a Transit and made a 15ft wide slope over Canford Cliffs in Poole. It was so sick - nightskiing in summer above Poole Bay! We even had a twenty foot huck section that dropped you into a steep pitch of sand.

powwrangler
10-14-2004, 04:02 PM

The orange fencing that you see on the side of the road, with the square holes in it works really well, but you have to have a hard suface to like pull it tight and nail it down too. Its cheap, easy to get, and easier to use than cutting up milk crates.I've used it before, but have always pulled it tight to make sure that my fingers, etc weren't going to get stuck in it. This shouldn't be a problem if you put it down on ply wood or some sort of boards or decking. Used liquid dish soap and water as 72twenty said.

supercow
10-14-2004, 07:41 PM
edg, give Richie Morgan at the Kodak Sports Park in Lake Placid a call 518 523-8831, and ask what they're using for they're ramps/ski jumps. I don't know if you'll get anywhere with it but its worth a shot

edg
10-15-2004, 01:20 AM
Will call around some slopes near(ish) me, she what I can dig up. Fortunatley none of them have switched to SnowFlex yet, so they may have dendix in surplus.

Depending on how much I can get, my ghetto plans are 3 fold :

Not much at all : Small kicker (Possible rail) on my lawn
Quite a bit : portable kicker/inrun/outrun for taking to bigger drops/sand dunes
A decent amount : Start building a ghetto alaska steep
Quite a bit : two ski widths wide ghetto alaskan steep!

edg

midget
10-15-2004, 01:40 PM
Heh, i'd love to see the looks on people's faces. It's one thing to have something like that in a ski town, or say SLC. But in the UK? Heh. Stupid looks from people 24/7!

edg
10-15-2004, 02:00 PM
Heh, i'd love to see the looks on people's faces. It's one thing to have something like that in a ski town, or say SLC. But in the UK? Heh. Stupid looks from people 24/7!
Hehe, I should take it on tour... Oh wait, no, that would get me beaten. I hate the UK :mad:

edg