PDA

View Full Version : Windshield wipers: up or down when you park in a snowstorm?

Jim S
02-16-2009, 09:43 AM
Never mind if there's a god and is there life on other worlds, whether augmented breasts are 'real', will your Praxis ever ship, I was wondering about this:

Lots of folks leave their windshield wipers up or off of the windshield when they park in the lot on a storm day. Why? I've left mine down and sometimes up and it never seemed to make a big difference.

:confused:

squirrelmurphy
02-16-2009, 09:47 AM
just make sure they aren't frozen to the windshield before you try to turn them on and you're golden

This End Up
02-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Do it the french way, one up and one down.

P_McPoser
02-16-2009, 12:03 PM
i only do it during warm storms to avoid having to beath the ice off of them.

wrinkledpants
02-16-2009, 12:30 PM
i only do it during warm storms to avoid having to beath the ice off of them.

Agreed. Snow melts to the wipers and can be a bitch to get off. I only do it when it's wet snow.

Tye 1on
02-16-2009, 01:05 PM
i've been popping them up overnight when storms are expected. Seems like prying them off of the glass when they are frozen on leads to a shorter life...

RShea
02-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Up helps if you are the type that starts the car up and has the wipers already turned on. They end up trying to push all that new snow off the windshield and can break the linkage or eventually ruin the motor as neither is designed to push 4 or 5 inches of wet heavy snow off the windshield.

However if you are the type that clears the snow and windows before the car is started, then it may not matter much except for extreme conditions where they freeze to the glass or have a bunch of ice built up.

funkendrenchman
02-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Putting your windshield wipers up is a good way to make it not snow. It says you actually believe the forecast...

I laugh everytime I see wipers up. It saves you about 5 seconds of work.

snoweater
02-16-2009, 02:26 PM
my $.02 is...since you gotta thaw out the windshield before you drive anyway, might as well thaw the wipers at the same time, so leave 'em down. Also, if they freeze in the off-windshield position, they won't touch in the middle of the wiper, where you look through...at first anyway.

IMO, the people i've seen putting them up looked pretty clueless, and just doing it cuz they saw other people do it...who also looked clueless.

Jim S
02-16-2009, 03:20 PM
the people i've seen putting them up looked pretty clueless, and just doing it cuz they saw other people do it...who also looked clueless.

Next time ask for change. Guilty as charged.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/images/smilies/hidesbehindsofa.gif

FrankZappa
02-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Once it starts snowing, say a couple inches, it's a good time to pop the wipers off someone elses arms, press them into the new snow and gently put the arms back down.

Big Blue
02-16-2009, 03:39 PM
if you use rain-x on your windshield (properly and regularly) it's a moot fucking point because the wipers won't stick anyway. neither will ice or snow.

Yukonrider
02-16-2009, 04:01 PM
I do, makes it easier to brush the snow off the windshield, and hood without having to dig them out from under the snow with your bare hands after the storm.

myBALLSareSOhuge
02-16-2009, 04:31 PM
bare hands

Cause like, the snow would probably ruin your gloves and all.

laseranimal
02-16-2009, 04:35 PM
I've been leaving them up since I've managed to crack the plastic that holds the wiper to the arm while trying to scrape ice off them. Not fun when the wiper flies off on the highway!! Happened to me twice last season and it wasn't fun

since going to "leaving up" I haven't had any problems

farmguy
02-16-2009, 05:08 PM
I must be weird, I start my car and let it warm up before I drive.......melting the snow and ice is the easiest of all.

:rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2

Sea 2 Ski
02-16-2009, 06:04 PM
chances of ripping wiper when left down > chances of ripping wiper when left up
time spent cleaning ice off wiperblade left down >time spent cleaning ice off wiperblade left up

x2 if you ski somewhere that has lots of wet snow.

bossass
02-16-2009, 06:44 PM
It always cracks me up when they are up and "on" and you turn the car on. They are all like "Wooohooo look at me, I'm waving like Queen Elizabeth".

jfost
02-16-2009, 07:14 PM
It always cracks me up when they are up and "on" and you turn the car on. They are all like "Wooohooo look at me, I'm waving like Queen Elizabeth".

I don't know your wipers, but they sound FAAAAAAABULOUS!

+1 for up on the Wet Coast...

karpiel
02-16-2009, 10:34 PM
my $.02 is...since you gotta thaw out the windshield before you drive anyway

Turn the heater off. If it is cold outside, wear clothes suitable for the weather and crack a window, then if you break down you are set for the cold. You will also not have a layer of ice to chip.

karpiel
02-16-2009, 10:37 PM
I must be weird, I start my car and let it warm up before I drive.......melting the snow and ice is the easiest of all.

:rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2

You mean like those asses that leave the car running for a half hour while they take a shit?

SterlingSpikeDancer
02-16-2009, 10:48 PM
This is the easiest way for my wife and I to ID Tahoe area skiers. Never saw this before in my life growing up in CO until I made it out to Tahoe. Now I see it on cars, and it instantly IDs them as CA imports. My wife, who grew up in the fair weather of MN, had also never seen this west coast phenomenon. Mine are now, and will always be, down. And I will spend the oh so brutal time de-icing while the truck/car warms up.

jfost
02-16-2009, 10:57 PM
This is the easiest way for my wife and I to ID Tahoe area skiers. Never saw this before in my life growing up in CO until I made it out to Tahoe. Now I see it on cars, and it instantly IDs them as CA imports. My wife, who grew up in the fair weather of MN, had also never seen this west coast phenomenon. Mine are now, and will always be, down. And I will spend the oh so brutal time de-icing while the truck/car warms up.

woah, weird... West Coast snow sticks to car windshields, and rocky terrain!

splat
02-16-2009, 11:14 PM
Don't leave then up outside of bars. It's just a bad idea.

johngenx
02-17-2009, 07:47 AM
Buy a Subaru. Mine has a heating element under the wiper park area. Superb.

BSS
02-17-2009, 08:16 AM
I always see that and wonder the same thing. I thought I'd try it once, but kept forgetting. My wipers haven't fallen apart or frozen to the windshield yet, so I guess there really isn't any need for it. IMO it's most important to clear the snow and ice from the cowl to ensure A+ heat out of your vents. If that's cranking, your wipers won't ice up anyways.

Viva
02-17-2009, 08:21 AM
Mine has a heating element under the wiper park area. Superb.

Whoa! They have parks for wipers now? I guess if it's cold enough, you can rail on those rubber bases.

Shen
02-17-2009, 08:52 AM
As you know we get a lot of ice in the East. So, I keep'em up, if there is ice in the forecast. This helps prevent the aforementioned frozen-to-window blade. Upright wipers also allow for the washer/de-icer fluid to be sprayed on the window......without damaging the blade on the ice. The combination of de-icer, defroster, and elbow grease....is the winner!:fmicon:

snoweater
02-17-2009, 08:53 AM
You mean like those asses that leave the car running for a half hour while they take a shit?

Don't leave then up outside of bars. It's just a bad idea.

Don't leave your car running for half an hour outside a bar either...

Grand County Crime Stoppers and the Fraser Winter Park Police Department are announcing a cash reward of up to $1,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for the following crime. Anyone providing information may choose to remain anonymous.

On Feb. 1, at about 2:15 a.m., the Fraser-Winter Park Police Department responded to the Winter Park Pub on a report of a vehicle that had just been stolen. Officers arrived and learned that a 2003 Toyota Tacoma Pickup had been stolen from the parking lot while it was left idling.

Fraser-Winter Park Police Officers, Grand County Sheriff's deputies, and the staff from the Winter Park Pub began searching the area and located the vehicle, which was found crashed and abandoned in a nearby residential neighborhood. Officers on scene obtained some evidence from the vehicle and a Police K-9 searched the area for any possible suspects. Based on the evidence located at the scene and the K-9 search, officers are investigating some leads. However, they are also seeking the public's help in solving this crime.

mr_gyptian
02-17-2009, 01:08 PM
I thought this practice was standard curriculum in Big 10 state's driver's ed courses.

bmg97
02-17-2009, 01:32 PM
As you know we get a lot of ice in the East. So, I keep'em up, if there is ice in the forecast. This helps prevent the aforementioned frozen-to-window blade. Upright wipers also allow for the washer/de-icer fluid to be sprayed on the window......without damaging the blade on the ice. The combination of de-icer, defroster, and elbow grease....is the winner!:fmicon:

Thats only if the pissers are in the wiper. Most cars have the pissers in the cowl or hood. Ive lived in NY all my life (31yrs) and never put them up. For one reason I had a Jeep and they don't go up. The other is that if the windows frozen it matters not if the wiper is frozen to the windshield because the windshiled will be frozen and they wont do shit. Thats why we have a defrost. I usually start my car 10 minutes before I touch the window and put the def on high heat. That usually takes care of the ice and the frozen wipers.

IrieRon
02-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Up in Tahoe. Down in Utah. Arm out the window with a Sham-Wow in Texas.

flip
02-17-2009, 05:24 PM
Up. If the car is warm when you park it, the snow melts from the warm windshield then refreezes and you end up having to pick and scrape the ice off of the wipers.