PDA

View Full Version : Keen Shoes and REI

summitmtn420
12-11-2008, 02:50 PM
so I have some keen shoes that I wore through the sole ultra fast--

Though I kinda hate REI I do have say I am starting to love them and might only buy shoes from them. . . .they gave me a new pair no questions asked-- I could do this each year ;)

REI--- " the outdoors is in" :cussing: god I hate them (or at least there marketing) but. . . .

Skidog
12-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Whats "utlra fast"?

would you return skis you "coreshotted" too easily?

Pow4Brains
12-11-2008, 03:48 PM
I could do this each year ;)

:confused:

summitmtn420
12-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Whats "utlra fast"?
ultra-fast= 7 months (the shoe itself looked practically brand new)

would you return skis you "coreshotted" too easily?

no dude- come on

jondrums
12-11-2008, 05:33 PM
keen shoes really do suck. Mine wore out real quick - but I bought them at the rei sale for $4. Don't be the douche that takes advantage of a store having an excellent return policy. They're cool enough to respect and trust their customers not to abuse the policy - return that respect or it will go away for all of us.

VTsession
12-11-2008, 05:58 PM
REI taking the shoes back wasn't REI being cool, it was who ever was managing the store that day a complete idiot for agreeing to do such a thing.

If customers do things like what you did repeatedly they get "flagged" by the company's loss prevention dept.

Swine
12-11-2008, 06:56 PM
REI taking the shoes back wasn't REI being cool, it was who ever was managing the store that day a complete idiot for agreeing to do such a thing.

If customers do things like what you did repeatedly they get "flagged" by the company's loss prevention dept.

Uhh, REI has an unconditional return policy, even if you do get flagged all they can do is hassle you. Bottom line, they have to accept your return. Not that I'm advocating abusing it, but if a piece of gear doesn't last me at least a year than I'm returning it. That's the beauty of REI... and I can get "Pro" pricing on most gear, but I'll still use REI for convenience / if a piece will potentially fail with the usage I plan on giving it. In the end, I lose money and time on continually sending product back to the manufacturer to warranty, and that's where REI shines.

jondrums
12-11-2008, 07:45 PM
if a piece of gear doesn't last me at least a year than I'm returning it. That's the beauty of REI... and I can get "Pro" pricing on most gear, but I'll still use REI for convenience

I agree - I love this too, and that's what its for. not for buying shit you know will break, then returning it.

summitmtn420
12-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Gezz guys- just wanted to say that REI is cool for doing this-- I didn't try to abuse the system-- I was looking at new shoes and ended up talking to a supervisor about my old ones and he said I should return them. So I did, and I am stoked !!

I don't think I am a deuce bag but perhaps I should consult a warranty dept. about this issue

summitmtn420
12-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Uhh, REI has an unconditional return policy, even if you do get flagged all they can do is hassle you. Bottom line, they have to accept your return. Not that I'm advocating abusing it, but if a piece of gear doesn't last me at least a year than I'm returning it. That's the beauty of REI... and I can get "Pro" pricing on most gear, but I'll still use REI for convenience / if a piece will potentially fail with the usage I plan on giving it. In the end, I lose money and time on continually sending product back to the manufacturer to warranty, and that's where REI shines.

agreed:biggrin:

JONG Q Public
12-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Wow I never thought of this. Running shoes only last me around 3 months. I could buy one pair from REI and just keep taking them back forever. Think of the money I would save.

Sorry, this is more for the poster who says if gear does not last at least a year he returns it.

LightRanger
12-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Uhh, REI has an unconditional return policy, even if you do get flagged all they can do is hassle you. Bottom line, they have to accept your return.

You're wrong. VTsession is right about getting flagged for repeatedly returning things (although not necessarily in this case, I just bought a pair of Keens there not two weeks ago and I'm taking them back because 1. the pull loop already broke; 2. I noticed the rand wa not well0glued in a spot from the factory, and; 3. I can already tell that the sole is super soft and is going to wear quickly).

Trust me. If you repeatedly abuse the policy, you're likely to get flagged. I saw it happen multiple times in three years working at a good-sized store.

That said, while I worked there, I would sometimes buy off the floor vs. shop-form because of that guarantee. But then I wouldn't be abusing the policy if it ACTUALLY broke before I reasonably thought it would wear out.

summitmtn420, I don't think you're a douche. The Keens I got are super comfortable, but like I said, I can already tell their durability is suspect.

summitmtn420
12-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Wow I never thought of this. Running shoes only last me around 3 months. I could buy one pair from REI and just keep taking them back forever. Think of the money I would save.

Sorry, this is more for the poster who says if gear does not last at least a year he returns it.

ya- running shoes don't last me very long either :( soft rubber (but nice on the knees)

I actually thought the keens were awesome quality- thats why I think REI guy told me to return them-- I mean the shoe was perfect except for the sole-- the leather was perfect and the sides-- no rips in any of the stitching-- I was really impressed. I was thinking the rubber they had was a bad batch or something, or maybe they just use really soft rubber but I don't know why on a walking shoe. I mean I had a pair of echos last over 4 years. The sole never wore out, the shoe did. Though those shoes cost a lot more.

I will say though that my new Keens they gave me seem of poor quality then last years (glue, stitching and such)-- well see i guess

Toofus
12-11-2008, 09:27 PM
I've had a few pairs of Keens.....pretty good mostly. The soles on all of em were solid, but the stitching on one pair I had blew out after 6 months or so. So back to REI they went, simply because a pair of shoes should last longer than those did.

Skidog
12-12-2008, 08:24 AM

Exactly...if you wear the damned things everyday for 7 months they are supposed to wear..its the SOLE OF THE SHOE for christs sake. Maybe the uppers did still "look new" but they dont touch pavement all day either.

So let me get this right..if I buy some hiking boots and go hike 200miles in them in like 4 months and they are trashed, should I return them because they didnt last a year?

Thankfully not a ton of customers take advantage of that REI policy otherwise im sure it would be gone.

srsosbso
12-12-2008, 08:36 AM
I love my keen shoes. They are really comfy, perhaps because they are shaped like feet. How fucking novel is that?

Warranties are for manufacturing defects. If you think they failed because they were defective, you should take them back. If they choose soft rubber for traction such that they wear out more easily, perhaps they are a poor choice for some applications. If you use them a lot and simply wear them out and return them annually, that might be a little douche-ey.

skifishbum
12-12-2008, 08:48 AM
Fuck that noise Rei = 100% customer satisfaction return policy. If you want to be an idiot and stand on some moral high ground and not use it whatever.
I'm not advocating scamming the system but I am willing to pay full price at rei cause if a zipper breaks or your shoes wear out faster than you think.
I use their policy. Must of that stuff shows up at their garge sales which kick ass for everyone

solskier
12-12-2008, 09:01 AM
Yeah, return your stuff and while your at it if someone could return a lightly used pair of line Pandora's in a 162 that would be awesome. I might get 'em cheap a garage sale.

Skidog
12-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Fuck that noise Rei = 100% customer satisfaction return policy. If you want to be an idiot and stand on some moral high ground and not use it whatever.
I'm not advocating scamming the system but I am willing to pay full price at rei cause if a zipper breaks or your shoes wear out faster than you think.
I use their policy. Must of that stuff shows up at their garge sales which kick ass for everyone

I agree with product breakdowns being part of that return policy, but shoe soles wearing out "too fast" ill refer to the running shoe example not all shoes are created equal. something you wear everyday wont last as long as the dress shoes you wear to church/funerals.

Product defects are one thing, wear and tear is another.

summitmtn420
12-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Ya - you pay full price at REI becuase they back their shit up. The guy I talked to who RECOMMENDED I return the shoes told me that Keen and other companies who supply REI get feedback from these kinds of things about their product. REI makes plenty of money to give out new shit-- and this keeps market share and boosts customer loyalty- I mean I hated the store 2 years ago because I thought the place was too pricy-- but now, hey I will buy all my shoes their and lots of other stuff.
I don't feel guilty when I use warranty returns (this Keen shoe was the first thing I ever returned through REI) becuase companies can make their own judgment on what they warranty- they arn't helpless.
Also- dude- I would think hiking shoes should go way more then 200 miles-- I had a pair of vasque sundowners that actually the leather is trashed (the sole is worn slick but not through) and I would think they have over 1000 miles on them!

Once again- yeah REI- and thank you for stoking me this holiday season :)

srsosbso
12-12-2008, 11:38 AM
soft rubber=traction
hard rubber=durability

Swine
12-12-2008, 03:15 PM
I stand corrected on the "flagging" that REI does, never heard of them actually preventing returns from it. As far as running shoes, clearly if you're doing running a lot every week then 3 months is probably all you'll get out of a pair of shoes. Again, I'm not advocating abuse (free shoes for life), but a logical use of the system they have in place. And for most gear I give myself a year based on the predictable usage my gear encounters because of my job. And, for example, I'm not going to take back a pair of liner gloves because I destroyed them in a week cutting wood or something. Also, a pair of hiking boots better damn well last more than 200 miles, but really, who needs boots when you can hike in Chacos?

LightRanger
12-12-2008, 03:45 PM
I stand corrected on the "flagging" that REI does, never heard of them actually preventing returns from it. As far as running shoes, clearly if you're doing running a lot every week then 3 months is probably all you'll get out of a pair of shoes. Again, I'm not advocating abuse (free shoes for life), but a logical use of the system they have in place. And for most gear I give myself a year based on the predictable usage my gear encounters because of my job. And, for example, I'm not going to take back a pair of liner gloves because I destroyed them in a week cutting wood or something. Also, a pair of hiking boots better damn well last more than 200 miles, but really, who needs boots when you can hike in Chacos?

The general consensus when I was running XC in college was that shoes generally last somewhere around 400-500 miles, depending on the surface you're running on (i.e. longer if you stick to trails, shorter if you run mostly roads and pavement). That's for the tread. Depending on your footstrike/weight/running lots of downhills, you may kill the absorption power of the foam before that. I know with my Asics you can see the creases in the foam on the sides of the heels after a while, and they definitely don't feel as "springy" as when they're new. This may only be a problem if you have overuse knee issues, or something similar. Just some thoughts.