PDA

View Full Version : Which Sleeping Bag?

dirtybryan
11-21-2008, 05:37 PM
I've narrowed down my search for a winter bag to:

The Marmot Lithium and the Montbell U.L. Super Stretch Down Hugger #0.

I'm tall and fairly slender. Tend to move around a bit when I'm sleeping, which makes me think the montbell makes sense because of the super stretch. The fabric and down on the Marmot seem to be higher quality.

Give me your 2 cents.

http://www.backcountry.com?asdf/store/MTB0044/MontBell-America-Inc-UL-Super-Stretch-Hugger-0-Sleeping-Bag-0-Degree-Down.html
http://www.backcountry.com?asdf/store/MAR1122/Marmot-Lithium-Sleeping-Bag-0-Degree-Down.html

GoAskAlice
11-21-2008, 05:54 PM
MontBell, hands down.
I have the UL SS down hugger #2 and will not buy another bag.
The fabric is legit and the stretchy-ness is dam confortable.
They are light and pack down to the size of a football. (only assuming the #0 gets down to roughly the same size).
Quality product, worth every penny.

JET123
11-21-2008, 06:15 PM
Marmot is good stuff (as are others), but I too have the same bag as GoAskAlice & I LOVE my Montbell! I am 6' and about 215lbs - sleep on my stomach with a leg thrown out to the side. Not until my Montbell did I sleep well :D

Word to the wise on temp ratings - they vary among manufacturers and that's before you as an individual is introduced into the equation. I sleep pretty warm so I can stretch temperature ratings more than most. Others fall on the other side and need every BTU they can get. Point is to know yours. From everything I have read, Montbell is accurate, but not generous with their temp ratings. I would agree as I can go a good 10 degrees beyond their number & still be ok.

John

Daywalker
11-21-2008, 06:42 PM
I love my Marmot Hydrogen. The Lithium is the same kind of bag but more stuffed. I'm 6', on the border between reg. and long and fit in the regular fine. I'm not a moving sleeper though.

bryanthebold
11-21-2008, 07:11 PM
I've got a Mont Bell Superstretch #3 synthetic, I am 5' 10" about 140 lbs and the regular hugs me great. You really can move around in them and sleep in all sorts of weird ways, and the quality of the bag feels just as good as any Marmot. I've used mine all summer and had a couple nights in the mid 20's with the bag being rated at 32 deg F. It came out pretty well, and I had decent sleep. I slept in it soaked a couple times and it was great. Mine doesn't have a draft collar, but the 0 deg ones sure do.

jon turner
11-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Look almost identical by the specs. It looks like the Marmot has a DWR coating which is always nice with a down bag. But, I don't really think you could go wrong either way. I have a Marmot Helium EQ and it is the most excellent bag I've ever used. Marmot makes sweet stuff.

wrinkledpants
11-21-2008, 07:30 PM
I'd go with the Montbell. I've got a Marmot Helium and while it's hotter than hells crotch, it's a pretty snug fit (5'8 145 lbs). I used to have a Sierra Designs Bag and I could sleep in whatever fucking position I wanted (stretchy design). I even properly broke it in one night with a rather unattractive chick. Zipped up, she could still sit up a bit to get the proper "leverage."

Keep in mind though that all that stretchiness means more dead air in the bag and it usually lowers the efficiency of it. Easily counteracted with a hot water nalgene though. I used to have a nalgene with a larger rubber hose coming out the top and I'd pee in the hose during bitter cold nights. Always good to cuddle with your piss when the temps are well below zero.

Get the stretchy one.

JET123
11-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Now I'm thinking about how to leverage to take a piss :D

Back to to the bag thread...

Buy the Montbell, buy an inflatable doll (packs well), seal all holes on the doll but one & pee in it to stay warm.

Fookin' margaritas!

dirtybryan
11-22-2008, 08:30 PM
Well, sounds like the decision will be easy. I figure the 0F rating should do me well. I had been using an old 32F EMS bag with no draft collar and etc. I would make it through the night, just not with a smile. If it doesn't do me well, I think I'll invest the upgrade in a down jacket.

Cheers

wrinkledpants
11-22-2008, 08:48 PM
If it doesn't do me well, I think I'll invest the upgrade in a down jacket.

Cheers

It will work. If you still get cold, go to bed with a lot of layers on, put a hot water bottle in between your legs near your crotch and one in your shirt, eat a high calorie meal right before bed, and wear a hat.

I find my feet are usually what gets cold at night, so I usually have shaker heaters in my socks to keep the toes warm.

If all else fails, hookers are a good source of body heat.