PDA

View Full Version : REVIEW: 08/09 188cm Moment Tahoe

PappaG
05-27-2008, 02:38 PM
Skier info:
5'10", 215#, 1st ski I've been on with <120mm waist since early February

Skis I have been on: 200 DPS Lotus 120, 194 Dynastar Legend Pro, 186 Moment Comi (stiff) / Comi-Kazi, 192 M1, 193 Nordica Blower

Ski info / measurements:
130-96-119, 22m radius
Tip-to-tail length on topsheet = 188cm
Tip-to-tail length on bases = 185cm
Effective edge = 152cm (144cm for the 180)
Camber = 3cm
Weight = 8.25 lbs.

Testing info:
Locations: 3 days backcountry + 3 days at A-Basin
Conditions: super firm early morning cord, late-morning prime corn, mid-day slush, 6" dense powder

Flex:
* I find them stiffer than the 193 Blower and softer than the 194 LP.
* DePierre (http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111347) finds them to be about the same flex as a 179 PM Gear Bro stiff.
* Skier666 puts it in line with a K2 Seth Pistol.
* Sphinx15 (http://tetongravity.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1671985&postcount=5) says its ligher than the Seth with less flotation but better hardpack performance.

Mounting point:
Mounted on suggested line which is -7cm of chord center. Skis felt great here but would mount -1cm back if you plan on using for a 1-ski quiver and have no other powder-specific skis. Otherwise, go with the suggested.

Powder:
I only got these out in two powder days; both about 6" deep (not blower but not wet and heavy either for snow in early May). Up until this point, I had only been in powder recently with the CK and the Lotus (both of which have considerable rocker characteristics), so I was less inclined of taking something more traditionally shaped with a 96mm waist and 3cm of camber into some shallow pow. I was expecting to fly over the handle bars and luckily that never happened, but those lucky situations lead me to think a -1cm mount would be better if you plan on taking this out in any kind of powder. I suspect however, that most people have other dedicated skis for that. Float was sufficient and once I became comfortable knowing the over-the-handlebar instances would not occur, I brought more speed in powder with them with the ski handling it pretty well.

Non-powder:
On firm snow and groomers, the Tahoes performed very well. They felt considerably stable while straightlining through slightly choppy soft snow conditions. However, in the more choppy, heavy snow with high speed, they were a bit too soft in the tip and tail with a decent amount of deflection. When compared to the LP, the Tahoe is a lighter, livelier, and softer but equally stable as long as you don't find yourself skiing through slush boulders. No problems through bumps although not the greatest I've been on (the Lotus owns that category for skis I've been on) as I prefer something with far less sidecut. I have yet to be in tight spots with these skis, so I can't comment on that but speculate they would perform very well given the short running length. Haven't gone big or anything close, but on 15-foot airs, the Tahoe felt fairly stable on landings.

Durability:
No problems to report in the 6 days I've been on these although I haven't put it though the normal abuse as I have with other skis I've owned. I have hit some rocks during typical spring skiing with only minor fingernail scrapes on the bases.

Overall, I've very pleased with these skis. My intended use is for early season resorts and late-season backcountry for which these seem to be a perfect fit. They could be stiffer for more specialized conditions, but I imagine that would take away from the positive aspects of the ski.

PROS:
+ light weight
+ fairly versatile
+ great spring BC ski

CONS:
- could be stiffer

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/9664/moment02oe2.jpg

bisnibble
05-27-2008, 03:10 PM
nice review Nick
I love this ski, it is my go to ski when conditions are a mystery witch is all the time in montana

I have mine mounted +2 with 920's but i like to be more over the center of the ski

I just wish it had .05cm to 0cm of camber but that is how I feel about every ski

Sphinx15
05-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Great review, I feel basically the same about my 180s. They need to be longer/stiffer to be a one-ski quiver and get deflected in the heavy stuff but overall just a fantastic ski, perfect for the east cost.

skier666
05-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Absolutely ideal spring/summer chuting, touring, booting, grooming or boosting ski. I have mine mounted with Dukes. To me, they rail on the piste, are very lightweight, and are super fun and agile. I agree that the tail needs to be a tad stiffer.

PappaG
05-27-2008, 05:10 PM
For comparisons, running length of the 188 is similar to:

190cm 4frnt EHP
192cm Armada JP v J
193cm Atomic Thug
188cm Dynastar Big Trouble
185cm Rossignol Scratch BC

srsosbso
11-27-2008, 08:24 AM
Tip-to-tail length on bases = 185cm
Effective edge = 152cm (144cm for the 180)

The Moment website lists the effective edge on these at 161 and 155. Your numbers make more sense given the big twin tail. How'd you measure vs. them?

PappaG
11-27-2008, 09:11 AM
The Moment website lists the effective edge on these at 161 and 155. Your numbers make more sense given the big twin tail. How'd you measure vs. them?
Not sure how they measure but this is how I did:

Skis were paired up base-to-base. Tape around the skis at the contact points of the tips and tails. Measuring tape straight across the edges between contact points. Skis relaxed.

srsosbso
11-27-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm used to measuring contact length with the skis decambered, but I doubt it's a whole lot different- if anything, it would be shorter than your measurement. I've also heard of measuring effective edge by measuring widest point to widest point, tip to tail. I wonder if that is what they might have used to get a longer effective edge than you? I could see that in a rockered ski where the tip kept widening after rising.

Smails
01-17-2009, 06:12 PM
Anyone able to compare the Tahoe to the Mantra or Prophet 90/100? Thinking of picking up the Tahoe or Ruby 190

MrZach
05-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Bump -

Needed to add my two cents to NPG's fine review.

Me: 6'2", 155lbs., skiing since I was 3
Skis: mounted just behind the line with Dynafits

I recently got back from a weekend in and around the Mt.Zirkel wilderness and these things absolutely kill late season conditions. I spent a day working late season corn that was warm and smooshy in spots and completely frozen in others. While the uber-hard stuff took a bit of extra effort to keep a line, the variable chunk/smoosh/corn performance more than made up for it. Similarly, their light weight + Dynafits makes 5-mile boot packs almost a pleasure. All in all a fantastic early and late season performer (especially for an AT setup) and a fairly decent year 'rounder to boot.

kbuzz
05-29-2009, 07:22 AM
Anyone able to compare the Tahoe to the Mantra or Prophet 90/100? Thinking of picking up the Tahoe or Ruby 190

Did anyone every answer/comment on this inquiry? Seems like the Mantra or prophet would be good reference points for comparison.

bisnibble
06-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Did anyone every answer/comment on this inquiry? Seems like the Mantra or prophet would be good reference points for comparison.

The Tahoe is much more lively than the mantra. That's all i can comment on, i only have one run on the mantra and have never skied the prophet

kidwoo
06-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Pretty much the same feeling I had on these. I definitely wished the 188s were stiffer, especially in the tail. And I'm only 165. I moved them 2cm back from their mount line (7cm off center I think.....meaning 9cm) and liked them better. They were okay at speed and I thought I'd be happy with buying a pair for hard snow days.

Then I got back on my 186 orange surfboard legend pros........and pretty much forgot about the tahoes in two turns. I've been hunting around for a replacement for my lps and just didn't feel like the tahoes were it.

Professor Chaos
06-03-2009, 01:11 AM
The M1/Garbones is supposed to be comparable to LPs - at least thats what the M1 I just got feel like and I hope they be. If not even stiffer according to some.

And there will be a 182 Garbones next season...

Kid - Would be interested if you should sell the Tahoe's if you aint totally set on them.

kidwoo
06-03-2009, 11:52 AM
The M1/Garbones is supposed to be comparable to LPs - at least thats what the M1 I just got feel like and I hope they be. If not even stiffer according to some.

And there will be a 182 Garbones next season...

Kid - Would be interested if you should sell the Tahoe's if you aint totally set on them.

Good to know. I might try to hunt down a pair of garbones then. I don't want a 192 or whatever they are now.

I don't own the tahoes I skied. I demoed them for about half a day just skiing them in different snow and playing with mounting spots. Get in touch wth melee. They were selling them for REALLY good prices.

Professor Chaos
06-04-2009, 11:22 AM
I don't own the tahoes I skied. I demoed them for about half a day just skiing them in different snow and playing with mounting spots. Get in touch wth melee. They were selling them for REALLY good prices.

Nuts.

Melee has already hooked it up with the M1's I just got. So stoked on them.

I just cant afford $300+ for what Id like to be a beater early-season/late spring touring ski.
Then again I could turn these into a more prominent place in the lineup and throw something else to the hounds(rocks) when the snow is sparse.