PDA

View Full Version : NSR: How much freezer do I need for 70 lbs of meat?

yesIsaidyes
04-02-2008, 08:37 AM
We just ordered 70 pounds of meat from a local farm (35 pork, 35 beef :FIREdevil) and now I need to buy a freezer. Is 8 cubic feet (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04616959000P?vName=Appliances&cName=Freezers)enough? I would prefer a little extra room for freezing fruit this summer but I don't want a coffin size freezer if I don't need one.

uglymoney
04-02-2008, 08:52 AM
I bought a freezer this fall after I shot a deer that was going to be way to big to fit in my overflowing freezer that is part of my fridge.

Get a chest cooler, manual defrost model. The defrost models burn more energy and cause more freezerburn than the manual defrost models. The standup models burn more energy and its rare to find one that isn't an auto defrost model - but manual stand ups do exist.

I bought this 10 cubic foot model from Whirlpool (http://www.wcwood.com/cgi-bin/displayproduct.pl?option=feature&model=EH101FXR) after looking at all the 10 cu foot or less freezers. They key reason is that it is energystar rated. Basically it costs only a couple of dollars a year more to run than every 5 cubic foot model that I could find, and a lot less energy that any 7 cubic foot model out there or comparable 10 cubic foot non energy star models. It was the smallest energy star freezer that I could find. Also, it is extremely quiet because of the updated compressor that they use to get the e-star rating and the compressor is small so it fits in a little barrel in the corner on one side instead of taking up the whole side.

IE - The KW per year for the 10 cubic foot Whirlpool is 282 vs 294 for the 8 cubic foot Kenmore you are looking at.

My freezer is rapidly filling up. I have some extra space left though. I'm very happy with the size of the freezer, haven't noticed much of a bump to my electric bill.

E-star compliance earned me a $50 rebate from my utility. Check with yours for the possibility that they have a similar deal. It brought the price down to just a little more than the other smaller and lesser models. Well worth it.

yesIsaidyes
04-02-2008, 08:59 AM
How much meat did you get out of the deer?

uglymoney
04-02-2008, 09:08 AM
How much meat did you get out of the deer?

A shit ton. See pic below, plus all the added beef and pork. I don't know how much weight off hand from that deer, three boxes plus I had lots of leftover deer and other meat. 70 lbs isn't that much meat at all, you'll have no problem fitting that.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o37/uglymoney1/P1010636.jpg

lemon boy
04-02-2008, 09:23 AM
That'll easily hold that much meat.

But, if you have the space for a bigger freezer then I'd say to go with a 20-25 ft^3 model. If you start making a real habit of bulk buying then you'll quickly outstrip it's usefulness.

Also, check craigslist first you can save a lot of money and a freezer is one of those items that'll run FOREVER (just ask the seller to turn it to its coldest and plug it in and then toss a thermometer in for a minute to verify that it gets cold).

We started with a 8'er and quickly realized that a much lager one was really more our style.

We started with this one

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6640&stc=1

And now have this one

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10291&d=1139700188

(that is an entire cow BTW)

yesIsaidyes
04-02-2008, 09:23 AM
whoo - nice deer.

uglymoney
04-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Jesus Christ Lemon! I need to stop over for steaks sometime! That is a lot of food :eek::eek: :)

Yeah, 70 lbs would probably fit into the freezer on your fridge if you didn't mind breaking a toe every time you opened the door.

lemon boy
04-02-2008, 09:29 AM
When looking for the freezer pics I came across this Steak Report (http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44356) :) different round of steaks but you get the idea. Just give me a heads up by a few hours.

Note: our freezer is currently nowhere near that full.

yesIsaidyes
04-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Lemon - what is the size of the one you currently have?

mntlion
04-02-2008, 09:35 AM
We had 200 pounds of cow and that fit into a small chest freezer.
keep in mind that we really packed it in tight, had no frost in it at all, had a bit in the freezer above the fridge, and for the first week had some weight on the lid.

lemon boy
04-02-2008, 09:40 AM
I don't know b/c we swapped for it. It's probably a 25ish. Note a cow = 600-650#s of meat.

yesIsaidyes
04-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks guys, this is all really helpful. I think we are going to go with an energy star 14 cubic footer...

lemon boy
04-02-2008, 09:48 AM
also if you're paranoid about performance/cost: fill the empty spaces with plastic bags stuffed with crumpled newspapers. Full freezers perform better (I don't bother with it).

XXX-er
04-02-2008, 12:22 PM
we got 2 medium sized freezers full , the roomie has a couple of 4x4's jet boat,guns,crossbow, all the toys except he was moaning that he needs a sled

last year got a buncha salmon , a cow moose with the crossbow and 5 deer

MakersTeleMark
04-02-2008, 01:44 PM
75 lbs is nothing 5 cubic feet will be fine. I've got a bull and 2.5 deer plus an assortment of other random meat in mine. It is full though.

BurnHard
04-02-2008, 01:47 PM
This is interesting info ... Planning on getting a hunting license and shooting some deer or elk this fall. If I'm lucky to hit anything, I'll either need a big freezer or give away most of the meat (planning on making lots of jerky out of the meat too)

-b

Rontele
04-02-2008, 01:56 PM
5 cubic feet will be fine.

isn't that half the size of your trailer? :fm:

wendigo
04-02-2008, 02:11 PM
also if you're paranoid about performance/cost: fill the empty spaces with plastic bags stuffed with crumpled newspapers. Full freezers perform better (I don't bother with it).

I use 3/4 full gallon jugs of water. But am currently stocked full of fish and moose so no need.

I think I have the 8, usually room enough, but a bigger freezer gives easier access (i.e. I have to dig a while to get to some items).

LoafLover
04-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Hippies.

Just go down the street like everyone else.
http://depts.washington.edu/mednews/vol9/no03/safeway.jpg

XXX-er
04-02-2008, 02:30 PM
On Haida Gwai you can shoot as many deer as you want

MakersTeleMark
04-02-2008, 02:37 PM
This is interesting info ... Planning on getting a hunting license and shooting some deer or elk this fall. If I'm lucky to hit anything, I'll either need a big freezer or give away most of the meat (planning on making lots of jerky out of the meat too)

-b

You are aware that the deadline for draw applications was yesterday? You could still pick up a leftover or an otc.

MakersTeleMark
04-02-2008, 02:39 PM
isn't that half the size of your trailer? :fm:

Nah, more like the size of your worn out asshole.

lemon boy
04-02-2008, 02:40 PM
You are aware that the deadline for draw applications was yesterday? You could still pick up a leftover or an otc.

Dude, I totally missed the boat on this one. Fuck it.

sw1tch
04-02-2008, 09:09 PM
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o37/uglymoney1/P1010636.jpg

Never thought of using my Outback for that, the practicality of the cargo tray never ceases to amaze me.

MakersTeleMark
04-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Dude, I totally missed the boat on this one. Fuck it.

You're shitting me, right? If not, you have a good chance on some leftovers. Think about hunting up by me for 4th. Usually there's an either sex available, and you might actually kill something. I'd be glad to hunt with you.

lemon boy
04-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Thanks man, I may take you up on that. :)

The only thing that I'm really pissed about is not missing the draw but rather missing my PP's. Not near as pissed though as I would've been if I had missed a PP on my turkey tag, those come 2/yr now and I missed the fall one once :( I'm now close enough that next spring I should be able to draw one of the prime plains units. (You do know that you are not far from turk hunting right? (http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyres/39AA9153-A7FA-4193-ACDF-59049CC59D5B/0/turkmaphard.pdf))

MakersTeleMark
04-03-2008, 01:19 PM
^^^ you keep trying to get me to buy a damn shot gun. I'm srs about 4th. I'll remind you when leftovers come around in Aug.

lemon boy
04-03-2008, 02:01 PM
I guess I just can't believe you don't have one :)

But I would appreciate a reminder when the leftovers come out.
:)

BurnHard
04-03-2008, 03:12 PM

Awwww man, I sure fucked that up! I was researching this in January and didn't realize how quick time passed and that it was already time to apply. Plus, it's more complicated for me because I'm a fuckin non-immigrant on a student visa - that's lower than illegal immigrants on the food chain.

Care to take me out hunting with you sometime? :D
I'm both into rifle (R700 5R with mildot scope, ~0.5MOA at my old 600yards range) and bow (BowTech 101st atm, thinking about switching).
I'm still going to try for leftovers after the draw...