PDA

View Full Version : Rental car and many pair of skis. What are my options?

dfinn
01-27-2008, 04:01 PM
I'm flying into Denver in a week with 3 buddies. It's pretty likely that we will each have 2 pairs of skis. I know some rental companies offer ski racks at an additional price but the last time we did this it was a shitty rack that didn't lock and I don't think we will find one that will hold 8 pairs of fat skis.

Do any rental car companies offer a ski box for an additional price?

SunCuntry
01-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Rent a van?

telemyk
01-27-2008, 04:12 PM
Or a crew cab pickup if it's cheaper (probably not), that's what we wound up with in Bozeman and it worked out well. Just keep an eye on it if you stop somewhere enroute to your hotel or whatever.

If you're flying solo, I've been getting really lucky with compact cars with fold down back seats. That way you can chuck your whole ski bag in the car without having to unpack it.

hutash
01-27-2008, 05:58 PM
I haven't seen a rental car rack that will hold a real pair of skis yet, or at least a pair of ski a mag would be seen on.

You can always go ghetto and tie them on the roof through the windows, or get something big enough with a 60/40 split rear seat. The 40 side to hold all the skis, but two guys in the 60 side is going to look pretty gay.

bite me
01-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Duct tape.

dfinn
01-27-2008, 06:05 PM
None of the places at DIA rent full size vans and they also can't seem to confirm whether the 4 door trucks they offer are 4wd or not. The last thing I want is a full size 2wd truck to drive over those CO passes.

At this point I'm leaning towards something like a Dodge Caravan but I'm not sure we'll be able to fit all our crap into it.

ACHTUNG
01-27-2008, 06:27 PM
A minivan should handle 3 guys gear and 6 pairs of skis. I just rented one for 3 of us, we only had 3 skis but there was room for more. It's a bit tight but it will work.

wandering, not lost
01-27-2008, 07:05 PM
your best bet may be to just move to the mountains, cut out all this flying and rental car nonsense...

FigureEleven
01-27-2008, 07:21 PM
I always prefer the Renault Kangoo...

telemike
01-27-2008, 07:23 PM
5 of us went to National Avalanche School in Tahoe a couple years back - flew to Reno and rented a minivan (I think it was a Caravan) - just rammed all the skis into a hudge pile in the center - it worked out fine

dfinn
01-27-2008, 07:30 PM
your best bet may be to just move to the mountains, cut out all this flying and rental car nonsense...

you're preaching to the choir sister

telemike
01-27-2008, 07:33 PM
it was a Plymouth Voyager - front-wheel drive with chains - we needed the chains

5 peeps - 5 pair of skis, boots, packs, bc/avy gear, etc. - no problem

BestofShow
01-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Nissan Quest is the way to go if it's available. 4 captains' chair, room for all the ski's btw the seats (up the middle), and plenty room for gear. Rented one with 3 guys last year from Eagle Airport for a 9 hour drive (each way) to Jackson. Plenty of space, and was only like $45 a day.

Laxsnowskisquatch
01-27-2008, 07:43 PM
We got stuck with an H3 thsi Xmas from Thrifty I believe. It worked well for my family.

Benny Profane
01-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Well, I'm renting a "mid size SUV" in Taos and dropping off in Denver, and I saw the prices on a minivan, which was much more than my Rav4/Outback/Jeep Liberty (whatever they give me). But, I'm thinking, you'll probably need the van, even though you can squeeze into the little thing. The squeezing could kill a friendship. Don't even consider the POS rack they give you at stupid profit.

PNW Skier
01-27-2008, 08:04 PM
don't most places rent suburbans? One of those should carry all of your stuff.

dfinn
01-27-2008, 08:36 PM
don't most places rent suburbans? One of those should carry all of your stuff.

Only a couple of places rent these and they are the most expensive option they have, sometimes double what a van or quad cad truck would cost. It's an option but I'd prefer to spend that money on lift tickets and beer.

Shaggy
01-27-2008, 08:50 PM
How about using a shuttle service like CME?

dfinn
01-27-2008, 08:58 PM
How about using a shuttle service like CME?

I'm not sure what that is but I have a feeling it won't work. We're planning to do a good bit of driving, we'll be going to whichever CO resorts are getting the snow and also heading over to SLC for a couple of days.

Any Denver mags have a Yakima or Thule box that they would want to rent out for a week?

steve
01-27-2008, 08:59 PM
you could get a full-sized sedan with a 60/40 back-seat fold down. it'll be tight, but three guys + 12 skis + gear and luggage should fit..

SailCat
01-27-2008, 10:22 PM
I ski with a group for a week at a different place each winter and we usually end up with a suburban or excursion or equal - six guys and their ski gear dont leave much room with it all inside. The vehicle rent cost more than the condo one year. only two of us were left to ski the last day and we changed off driving and changing/packing bags in the back on the way to the airport, lotsa room then. 4wd has been useful on almost all of the trips.

dfinn
01-27-2008, 10:49 PM
you could get a full-sized sedan with a 60/40 back-seat fold down. it'll be tight, but three guys + 12 skis + gear and luggage should fit..

it's 4 guys total, that won't work.

dk_alaskan
01-27-2008, 11:30 PM
"forget" to pick up your gear, go to REI or some other store that sells boxes close to the airport, buy a cheap box. it will most likleky be cheaper than renting a ski rack. The caveat is, the vehicle needs to have some sort of roof rack system which i believe most caravans do. You could also check your bags at one of the baggage storage places at the airport.

flyby
01-27-2008, 11:38 PM
If you get a minivan with only two seats in the middle row and a fold down rear there's a hudge space in the middle where you can pile all your shit. I can fit like 10 pairs of fat 200cm skis into those. not sure if they rent the two seat versions but a 60/40 or something like that could work fine too.